Tea Pass

"Retired" Swaps SubForum

May 12th, '08, 14:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 12th, '08, 14:27

I am not taking part, but I sure look forward to hearing from the various recipients as it works its way around the country.

May 12th, '08, 14:28

by RussianSoul » May 12th, '08, 14:28

Eastree wrote:I did add a touch of privacy, not that anyone is necessarily worried, but there is a stack of envelopes with each person's name on it. Within, is the name and address of the next person on the list.
Clever! :!:
Eastree wrote:And the box is on its journey!
Yippee! :D

May 12th, '08, 17:39

by auggy » May 12th, '08, 17:39

YAY! I'm excited! :)

May 12th, '08, 19:37

by LavenderPekoe » May 12th, '08, 19:37

I actually took inventory yesterday and have already put aside what I am going to put in the box. I have to admit that some of it is stuff I don't care for much, but some of it I do and just want to share. I am adding some Den's cold brew bags for people who haven't gotten a chance to try them and some Adagio TKY bags I had quite a few of.

I have a feeling I am going to be adding more than I am taking out. ;)
Teas for trade:

May 12th, '08, 21:37

by Ladytiger » May 12th, '08, 21:37

LavenderPekoe wrote:I actually took inventory yesterday and have already put aside what I am going to put in the box. I have to admit that some of it is stuff I don't care for much, but some of it I do and just want to share. I am adding some Den's cold brew bags for people who haven't gotten a chance to try them and some Adagio TKY bags I had quite a few of.

I have a feeling I am going to be adding more than I am taking out. ;)
I have some of the Den's Tea bags to add too, I'm not too fond of them. I'll see which ones you add. I'll probably put a bunch in. *starting planning on what to put in*

May 14th, '08, 12:50

by RussianSoul » May 14th, '08, 12:50

Tea box is here!

It is gigantic! I am a little overwhelmed.

There are huge amounts of pu in it and a wonderfully aromatic Baozhong, a large tin of it.

There is also a cutest tea strainer. I am wondering whether I can keep it if I want to (which I do) or is it to stay in the box for other people to use with the teas?

I have to go make myself a cup of tea and calm down...

May 14th, '08, 13:02

by Salsero » May 14th, '08, 13:02

Is a photo of the famous box possible? It would be nice to have a snapshot of it from each of its destinations. Maybe with a postcard or other local souvenir!

May 14th, '08, 14:24

by Eastree » May 14th, '08, 14:24

The strainer is meant to pass along, at least this trip. The mini tuocha have small bits which easily escape a gaiwan, so it's there in case.

And I think Sal has some regret issues :twisted:

May 14th, '08, 18:27

by Salsero » May 14th, '08, 18:27

Eastree wrote:And I think Sal has some regret issues
You name the issue and Sal's got it!

May 14th, '08, 18:48

by PolyhymnianMuse » May 14th, '08, 18:48

Haha I agree though, it would be nice to atleast join in on the excitement of the box with pictures. It will probably also get a lot of people wanting to join in next time around... :wink:

May 14th, '08, 19:05

by Pentox » May 14th, '08, 19:05

Heh, the thing I would be most curious about sadly is what kind of box are you using? After a few passes I can't imagine a cardboard box holding up to well.

May 14th, '08, 19:12

by RussianSoul » May 14th, '08, 19:12

Salsero wrote:Is a photo of the famous box possible?
I'll see what I can do, people. The documentary of opening of the box, like Ilya and and his spring Darjeeling, regretfully is not possible. I tore at the box like a mad woman, it was unpacked in seconds. But I will try to document the packing up and the send-off.

May 15th, '08, 18:39

Tasting notes: 2006 Nan Jian

by RussianSoul » May 15th, '08, 18:39

2006 Nan Jian * Zhai Zi Po Mark * Raw Pu-erh

4g, 3.5 oz gaiwan, boiling water. Eastree recommended 5g for this amount of water, but I got afraid and used less.

2 in-and-out rinses, and then I started.

1st steep – 5 sec
Aroma: forest in the fall after rain – pleasant
Color: light golden orange
Taste: woody, a little camphor, a shadow of sourness, no bitterness, slight astringency, drying sensation in the mouth, no sweetness. It is drinkable, somewhat interesting, and slightly medicinal. I hope I am getting younger as I sip.

2nd steep – 5 sec
Aroma: same forest in the fall, more pronounced.
Color: golden orange – pretty. Makes you think this brew should be sweet.
Taste: Less wood and camphor, smoother taste, astringency gone away. Slight bitterness, but no sweetness. It is almost enjoyable, but not quite.

3rd steep – 8 sec
Aroma: got sweeter and little pungent, decaying leaves and pinecones, fog.
Color: golden orange
Taste: it is very smooth now, no bitterness. A little trace of camphor and a whisper of sourness are present. The main taste is woody. I am warm and buzz a little, is this Qi? I am also getting a dry mouth feel.

4th steep – 13 sec
Aroma: Woody, mossy
Color: yellow, light brown, like an onion skin
Taste: Woody, slightly bitter, still rather smooth. It is not bad, but not really enjoyable either. I am drinking it as an experiment that I set out to conduct, so I persist.

5th steep – 21 sec
Aroma: Dry autumn leaves
Color: Tan-yellow, light brown
Taste: Adagio Pouchong, light to medium roasted oolong.

6th steep – 34 sec
Aroma: Dry autumn leaves with a bit of fertilizer – still very pleasant
Color: Tan-yellow
Taste: very much a Pouchong, but now mild and gentle. The tea is getting tired in terms of taste, but there is still some punch left – I feel warm, a little flushed and somewhat out of it (like getting into Theta state.)

7th steep – 55 sec
Aroma: faint fertilizer, not offensive, but makes you think
Color: Light tan-yellow
Taste: It almost has no taste anymore, faint remnants of Pouchong, but it is still potent. I feel that I have to hold on to my couch or I will be on the orbit in no time. I did not drink a lot of tea really. I served my steeps in 3.5 oz cups and drank about half a cup each time. And I took my time, I am at it for several hours now, and still I am so full of caffeine that I am ready for vertical takeoff.

8th steep – 3 min
Aroma: faint, unidentified tea
Color: yellow-ochre
Taste: No real taste left and some bitterness. We are done.

Final notes:
The best thing about this tea is the aroma of brewed leaves: full, pungent, forest in the fall, decaying leaves, sweet and nostalgic. In terms of taste it is not a bad tea, I did not pour it out, like I did with my other pu. But I can’t say that I liked it. The taste I will remember is mainly wood, medicinal, and some Pouchong. The aftertaste was persistent, and on a bitter side. I had a dry mouth feel throughout the session. It surely packs some caffeine. If it is caffeine high you are after, this tea delivers.

I am very much a novice with pu. This is my second pu. So, it could be that my brewing was faulty. I will keep a piece of this cake and will try it again in a while, when I know better what I am doing.

It was an excellent learning experience, and I like that.
Last edited by RussianSoul on May 15th, '08, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, '08, 19:06

Re: Tasting notes: 2006 Nan Jian

by Salsero » May 15th, '08, 19:06

RussianSoul wrote:I am very much a novice with pu. This is my second pu. So, it could be that my brewing was faulty.
Well, there's nothing wrong with your prose. Nice review! Thanks.

May 16th, '08, 19:31

Pics

by RussianSoul » May 16th, '08, 19:31

This is the fabled Box. The white cloth on the top looks suspiciously like a baby diaper. Perhaps, it is. Eastree wrapped one of the littler pu’s in it, which makes perfect sense. I put my kyusu in the picture for scale.

These are Eastree’s offerings. Aren’t they pretty?...

This is my stuff, almost ready to be packed.

Small print: The kyusu and flowers are for decoration only :twisted: .