TeaChat Photo Problems!

Archived TeawareArtisan topics

TeaChat Photo Problems!

Postby Chip » Nov 13th, '11, 14:55

I have been working on an anthology topic going back a few years, look for it soon.

This does bring up a bit of a problem with projects like this. As I go through the older pages, a lot of photobucket, flickr, etc. links no longer work and the photos do NOT display, likely due to being deleted or moved or renamed by members from their albums, not realizing it at the time that the photos were linked on TeaChat.

This is a shame when viewing older pages as pictures often say a thousand words. But we can work on preventing this in the future if we make a conscious effort.

Two Solutions I came up with:

1. Posting photos as attachments, but then the forum could lose photos as well when updating, etc.

2. Creating a TeaChat album/file in your individual photo hoster. Thus any photo you have in the TeaChat album, you know not to delete since it is somewhere on TeaChat.

Soooo, please make a conscious effort to do one or the other. I will likely post this around the forum ... so please forgive the duplicating. And thank you for helping in this way to improve our forum!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: TeaChat Photo Problems!

Postby Geekgirl » Nov 13th, '11, 17:14

I rarely delete a photo from an online host, so it's unlikely to be a problem for my images (and if there is an issue, let me know because it's a problem with my whole account.)

If people are linking from free accounts, they need to check that the links still deliver if they exceed maximum uploads. Some sites like Flickr will let you show the latest 200 posts, but will still host photos that are in excess of the 200 (it's a kind of underhanded prompt to get people to pay annually for the full account.)

Other free accounts will purge photos that exceed your allowed settings.

If you are using Flickr, and set an album to private, Flickr will no longer show your photos where you've linked them, the photo has to stay public.
Geekgirl

Postby Drax » Nov 13th, '11, 18:07

Geekgirl, thanks for mentioning that limit thing, because I am currently getting close to my 200 photo limit (Flickr). I was wondering what I was going to do, as I didn't want to remove anything (I only post stuff there that I've linked).

I'm not quite sure I follow what you said about Flickr, though -- it will let you show the latest 200 photos, but will still host those over 200...? So.... will I actually have to do anything?
Drax

Postby Geekgirl » Nov 13th, '11, 23:07

Nope, leave them up, Flickr will still host websize versions, you just won't be able to scroll back and see them thru your Flickr acct. They will however continue to show up wherever you've linked them, like here.
Geekgirl

Postby Chip » Nov 13th, '11, 23:38

As far as I know, photobucket (as annoying as their free service is) has no limits. They used to have total stoage limits, but I think they even did away with that. I guess they figure they will just kill you with dive bombing ads.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Bob_McBob » Nov 15th, '11, 13:48

The only way the majority of images survive long-term on any forum is if they're posted as attachments, or to a stable service like imgur where they can't easily be deleted. Private hosting or private albums on hosting sites will eventually break links, as users move on or forget their old photos are linked to the site.

Requiring attachments for image posts is the most reliable way to make sure images are preserved for posterity. It should not be an issue if the forum software is maintained properly, though whether the powers-that-be want to maintain such an image database is another story.
Bob_McBob

Postby Chip » Nov 16th, '11, 01:29

Thank you for your input, members. I hope these topics located throughout the forum will raise awareness of the situation. I will delete most of these topics in time as only 1-2 of the topics are really needed in the long run. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Visarga » Sep 25th, '12, 03:02

I second imgur. It is well done, requires no signup, services a lot of content aready from reddit, which has a vested interest in maintaining it alive.

I think reddit might have decided to create imgur for the same reason - fear of losing content in time / old content becoming stale.

@Chip: Congrats on the idea of the album. I think it is wonderful. I am a newcomer and clearly there is a lot of amazing content in the backlogs that I haven't seen.
Visarga

Postby Sachacha » Oct 31st, '12, 21:03

Hello there, I'm new here and very happy to have found this community!
Can you please help me finding a way to put my own avatar picture as I tried everything I could to make a image to fit the requested size and nothing works anyway... :?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Sachacha

Postby Chip » Oct 31st, '12, 21:25

Hi and welcome to TeaChat.

Yes, you must resize a personal photo to no larger than 100X100 pixels. It is important to resize, NOT compress as a compressed photo will usually not work as it contains too much data.

Are you able to resize your photo? This can be done on your computer or through a photohoster such as flick'r or photobucket.

If all else fails, you can email the full sized photo to me and I will hopefully make it work. teachatmoderator@yahoo.com
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Sachacha » Oct 31st, '12, 22:37

Thank you Chip for your reply.
In fact, I've been trying to resize with Photoshop but the 100x100 pixels doesn't mean that it is fitting with the 19kbs it is asking as well...
Do you think it is because I use a mac?
Thank you for trying to make it happen for me in case I am not able to make it myself... highly appreciated! (let me try once more before).
Sachacha

Postby minor_glitch » Nov 1st, '12, 03:34

Sachacha wrote:In fact, I've been trying to resize with Photoshop but the 100x100 pixels doesn't mean that it is fitting with the 19kbs it is asking as well...

I think you can save the file as a png-24 and it should fit the file size limit. In PS that should be under "save for web & devices".
minor_glitch

Postby Chip » Dec 7th, '12, 19:08

Here is a link to "How to: photograph your teaware. A beginner's guide."

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10046
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby tdell001 » Apr 25th, '14, 08:21

How do I post pictures in my comments? I cant seem to paste a image and I cant upload links from my computer either.
tdell001

Postby Chip » Apr 25th, '14, 13:29

tdell001 wrote:How do I post pictures in my comments? I cant seem to paste a image and I cant upload links from my computer either.

There are two basic ways.

Most members use a photo hoster like photobucket or flickr. They are fairly easy to use and allow editing. When posting an image, you need to make sure the proper codes proceed and follow the link with no spaces. [img]thisisthecode[/img]. Most photo host sites will do this part for you.

Then there is the attachment option. Under the post a new post window, there is an upload attachment tab.

Keep I mind that Teachat has size restrictions for both.

Here is a link to a topic discussing the posting of photos:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12549
Chip
Mod/Admin

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions