OTTI 2010 Round 1 ShinCHAAA ... and Reviews!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 1 ShinCHAAA ... and Reviews!

Postby Chip » Jun 23rd, '10, 13:07

NickE, and anyone else thinking the same thing, please do not feel that your reviews are not "good enough" for whatever reason. Everyone has something to contribute! So, please post!

Thanks Brian, glad to see the Kinari sang for you today.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby myemmie » Jun 23rd, '10, 14:07

Chip wrote:
myemmie wrote:I am officially sad that OTTI made it to Scotland before Tennessee...*harumphs*
I'm loving all the reviews though! :D

5 days, not good!!! Not good at all! Please let me know when you get it. Thanks.

Speak of the Devil, and the Devil shall appear...my tea arrived this morning!
myemmie

Postby Chip » Jun 23rd, '10, 14:12

myemmie wrote:
Chip wrote:
myemmie wrote:I am officially sad that OTTI made it to Scotland before Tennessee...*harumphs*
I'm loving all the reviews though! :D

5 days, not good!!! Not good at all! Please let me know when you get it. Thanks.

Speak of the Devil, and the Devil shall appear...my tea arrived this morning!

Whew! Thanks for letting us know. :mrgreen: You have some catching up to do! So get brewing and reviewing.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Seeker » Jun 23rd, '10, 14:24

Next up in my OTTI shincha lineup - Kinari.
I did the whole 7g @ 1:1 (or close by eyeballing the water, probably I put in a bit more water).
Brewed 1st @ 158* for 90sec. Yummy!
Mellow, smooth, subtle, nice umami pervades gently, as does a nice, well balanced sweetness - hints of rose.
A+.
Not bad for my 1st asa, huh?

2nd infusion 168* for 30sec. Even more yummy! All of the above accentuated a bit more in a balanced way.
I think I'll be ordering some of this tea if I can.
Cheers.
Seeker

Postby debunix » Jun 24th, '10, 10:44

First try at the Maeda-en Shincha today, 4g into 4 oz of 174 degrees water in room temperature gaiwan. Umami, vegetal, sweet from first 40 second infusion. 20 second 2nd infusion (with water having cooled to 155 degrees) is very strong on umami, and 3rd (back to 30 seconds, water warmed back up to 175 degrees) is similar.

Overall very nice, but a bit heavier on the umami than I really prefer. I look forward to comparing this one with others at 160 degrees just to see how that changes the flavor profile, but won't have a chance until the weekend to do a 4-tea comparison.
debunix

Postby qiao2zhi4 » Jun 24th, '10, 13:21

myemmie wrote:Speak of the Devil, and the Devil shall appear...my tea arrived this morning!

vienna's still to wait ...
luckily for my, longanimity is my innate vitue
:mrgreen:
qiao2zhi4

Postby Chip » Jun 24th, '10, 13:49

Thanks Seeker and debunix.

Den's Houryoku. This is different from every Fuka shincha I taste each year. Interesting balance of sweet and bitter. Try brewing lighter if you think the bitterness might bother you. Maybe a .8:1 ratio. So 4 grams per 5 ounces water. B

Den's Kunpu ... nicely veggie, sweet and bitter asamushi ... yet fairly light. I again am now recommending .8-1 ratio. Came out realllly nice! A-

GTL's Kagoshima Shincha. Nice, but a bit light for my personal tastes. I would like to know the varietals in this one. It is not Yabukita. Not YM either. Possibly some YM in the mix, but I would bet Asatsuya maybe. B-

Maeda-en Gold. Yet to be tasted.
Maeda-en 88th Night. Yet to be tasted.

Maiko Shincha Sencha. Nice asamushi, mellower than Kinari, more on the sweet side, less veggie. But a good everyday or casual drinker at a great price. B+

Maiko Kinari is a great asamushi combining veggie and sweet magnificintly ... and lots of mouth feel with umami. Definitly go 1:1 and throw in a few extra leaves as a bonus. Only downside, this one is a LE. A+

The O-C SM has lots of flavor, brew it cooler in order to max the sweetness factor that makes this one shine on. I think newbies would like this quite a bit. But I like it too. A-

The O-C YM LE Supreme. This is the most in yoe face suckah of the bunch. Briny, soupy, "salty," sweet, and umami abound. Very full mouth feel. Love this one! A+++

The O-C YM "classic" Very good, but I am favoring the new kid on the YM block, the Supreme. This is much mellower and not so in your face. A-
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Geekgirl » Jun 24th, '10, 15:11

Starting out with the GTL Oishi Ichibancha. I decided to do something different than my usual shincha brewing. I read about this last week(?) probably on TC. J.greens can be frustratingly inconsistent for me regarding brewing. I usually brew at lower temperatures for greens, because I prefer the sweeter low notes that come out in the tea, and also because I have an unfortunate tendency to walk away and "stew" my greens. :(

But the first steep for me is nearly always disappointing. So I decided to do a flash rinse to wake up the tea.

I'm brewing this in my TC SO Deishi houhin, so just a wee bit under 4 oz capacity to the rim. 1:1 on the tea, (3.7g), NW Oregon filtered tap water, which I'd put up against most bottled water in quality.

I hit the leaves with 2oz of just off-boil water (208) and immediately poured it off.
1st steep: <30 sec, 160ish, brew is deep green, sweet, but with the tiniest "cut grass" aftertaste
2nd steep: <20sec, 145ish, brew is deeper in color but less blue-green, more yellow tones. Still very sweet, but feels kind of chewy, like more leaf dust is filtering off. Aftertaste has a bit of a bite, kind of like when you accidentally (I hope) bite on a bug. Or maybe like arugula (which I think taste like a bug. :lol: )
3rd steep: 175ish, water in/water out, best steep, very sweet, no bitter aftertaste, actually very little aftertaste, still bright green liquor.
4th steep: 175ish, <30 sec, light sweet, bright color, but yellower.
5th, etc, etc.

PICKCHURS:

the first (the fourth)

the third (the fifth)

the minor fall, the major lift
Last edited by Geekgirl on Jun 24th, '10, 15:35, edited 4 times in total.
Geekgirl

Postby Seeker » Jun 24th, '10, 15:26

Nice GG! (as always)

This morning, went for the Maeda Gold.

Used Novak Houhin, ~3oz @ ~1:1, 158* for 40s 1st, 20s 2nd.
Umami is nicely forward, there is a subtle sweetness, and a balance of astringency and not-quite-bitterness that results in a minerally quality that lingers at the finish. I like this tea. A-

This is a photo of the 1st infusion. The 2nd infusion was much more green and particulate/cloudy - nice! (sorry, no photo)
Seeker

Postby TubbyCow » Jun 24th, '10, 18:21

Proinsias wrote:Arrived in Scotland this morning, yay.

Seriously?! I'm in Canada, and no sign of my tea. Am I the only one who hasn't gotten it yet? *pout*
TubbyCow

Postby Chesslover » Jun 24th, '10, 18:35

TubbyCow wrote:Seriously?! I'm in Canada, and no sign of my tea. Am I the only one who hasn't gotten it yet? *pout*

No, together we stand :)
Chesslover

Postby entropyembrace » Jun 24th, '10, 18:47

TubbyCow wrote:
Proinsias wrote:Arrived in Scotland this morning, yay.

Seriously?! I'm in Canada, and no sign of my tea. Am I the only one who hasn't gotten it yet? *pout*

I haven´t gotten mine yet and I´m in Canada too :?

Canadian postal service is sloooooooooooooow....I just hope customs aren´t ripping the packages open on us. :?
entropyembrace

Postby Seeker » Jun 24th, '10, 19:03

2nd Session w/ Maeda-en Gold.
Followed C-meister's suggestions this time.
175*, room temp houhin, 40s.
1st infusion:
2nd:
3rd:

Better results (even tho I like my 1st session results).
Richer brew 1st infusion this time. Mineral flavors more subtle. Sweetness slightly more pronounced on 1st infusion, really takes back seat for 2nd & 3rd infusions.
Lovely umami, asparagus, a bit of buttery creaminess.
A.
Seeker

Postby camw » Jun 24th, '10, 20:03

Package passed through customs and arrived safely yesterday in Australia. Thanks Chip. Will post some notes as I can.
camw

Postby Dreamer » Jun 24th, '10, 20:42

Another OTTI Sincha tried today...here are my notes:
GTL Kagoshima Sincha
3.6 grams to 4 oz water..
First steep - 40 seconds. Today I'm using a white cup so I can better
note the color. This tea is a clear yellow green with a shiny look. A few
bits did strain thru to my cup, but I don't mind that at all. This tea has
a nice aroma. It does not taste as sweet as it smells, but it is good.
Unfortunately, I gulped it down before I could further describe it! (Until
my OTTI package arrived on Monday I was without any Japanese green tea for a while and I had not had any FRESH in probably a year...so this is tasting GOOD!)

2nd steep - 25 seconds
Much more color...swampy murky yellow-green (not meant as an insult, just a description). Wonderful green aroma...less sweet smelling and more veggie. Taste is light sweet veggie with a lovely astringent finish. I'm thinking this steep could have gotten bitter in only a few more seconds.

3rd steep - 45 seconds
About the same color with much less aroma. The finish is about all that is
left for this steep and it is somewhat muted, but a touch to the bitter.

4th steep - 65 seconds
Lighter color but still murky. Still has aroma but virtually no flavor.

I enjoyed this tea and I'm glad I got to try it.

Happy tasting,
Dreamer
Dreamer

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions