OTTI 2010 Round 2 Silver Needle ... and Reviews!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 2 Silver Needle ... and Reviews!

Postby the_skua » Aug 8th, '10, 12:48

Finished off this OTTI with the GTL Silverback White...delicious! Thanks so much Chip for organizing these OTTIs, they've been an absolute delight. What a great exercise in trying different producers and regions. I can't wait for the next (let me know if you need help!).

Immediately apparent was the consistency of the dry leaves, with a nice pale golden hue on delightfully fuzzy, even needles of great length, a bit sinuous. The warm gaiwan full of leaves gave a delightful fresh glow of jack fruit, almonds, palomino fino jerez and nips of banana. Again, the aroma was strongest in the first wet leaves, but it was very pleasurable. Flavors opened bright and strong with pulled white sugars, light green olive, and bits of cooked yellow plum. Mostly white sugar, though. Fresh and clean, extra-light and super-bright. A really thirst-quenching summer tea. It leaves me with a dry grass and hot savanna summer feeling.

Image and full post at tea.theskua.com
the_skua

Postby the_skua » Aug 11th, '10, 09:43

Here are some of my overall thoughts on the silver needle tastings (with a personal stash addition added in):

My Steepster scores (out of 100) for some quantitative summarization:

1. Rishi Fuding Silver Needle Grand Cru, Organic (95)

2. Rishi Silver Needle Premium, Organic (90)

3. Green Tea Lovers Silverback White (89)

4. Seven Cups Bai Hao Yin Zhen, Organic (80)

5. Adagio Silver Needle (45)

6. Green Tea Lovers Adams Peak (20)

Compared to the last tasting, this one has a much wider distribution in ratings. I was really unhappy with the Adams Peak (for its coarse processing and off-flavors) and the Adagio (for tasting like jasmine, which I do not like). I adored the two Rishi examples, as they just excelled at showing off the flavor profile silver needles are known for, with added depth, complexity, and nuance. The Fuding Grand Cru is really a special tea, in my opinion. I would gladly run through this series again blind, and believe the results would be similar, not necessarily because I have faith in my own objectivity, but because I think the teas are that markedly different.

Thanks again Chip for organizing these tastings and I look forward to the next!
the_skua

Postby TubbyCow » Aug 24th, '10, 15:16

This summer has been a total gong show, so I'm really late to the party, but I figure better late than never, eh?

Adagio Silver Needle - The leaves smell insanely grassy. I'm hesitant; the husband is beyond excited.

180°, 3 minutes Still very grassy.

Very flavourful, but not really the "sweet and light" I tend to search out in my Silver Needles. It is good and much sweeter than I expected, and my blueberry scone is meshing wonderfully with the cup. I personally wouldn't buy it since I feel I can get better SN for less, but I'm happy I got the chance to try it, and I'll drink the rest of my sample happily.
TubbyCow

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions