OTTI Round #5 Pu-OTTI, Young Raw Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: NEW!!! OTTI Round #5 Young Raw Pu-erh

Postby Proinsias » Sep 12th, '10, 12:53

I got another 7 or 8 infusions on the second day of the bangwai, really good stuff. I was getting nice tobacco and mushroom notes towards the end, and something else maybe akin to rotting in wood, but in a good way :lol: . Good endurance, nothing unpleasant to be found. I would like to pick up a cake of this but there's another three of Nada's still to go.

Manmai just now. Feeling a little rough around the edges today after a 30th birthday party last night but hoping this can breathe a little life into me. Only 5 infusions or so in. This seems rather perfumy or floral to me. It's more powerful than the bangwai but I much prefer the profile of the bangwai. Whereas I could feel the bangwai more in terms of mouthfeel and down the throat this seems concentrated in the immediate flavours in the mouth. If you'll pardon the pun I just don't think this is my cup of tea.

On the other hand by the 8th infusion I'm feeling distinctly perky. I like the strength of this tea and it certainly has a good cha qi kick, just not very keen on the taste. Tough one to call as I imagine perfumy/floral notes might not be the most enduring qualities whereas strength and cha qi will likely hang around for many years.
Last edited by Proinsias on Sep 12th, '10, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Proinsias

Postby Proinsias » Sep 12th, '10, 12:56

To be fair the manmai was my first green-oolong style pu'er so I'm in new territory here :D
Proinsias

Postby nickE » Sep 12th, '10, 13:56

Proinsias wrote:To be fair the manmai was my first green-oolong style pu'er so I'm in new territory here :D

:lol: :!:

Love the reviews, love this thread!
nickE

Postby teaskeptic » Sep 12th, '10, 15:08

Mansai

Just had my first 6 infusions of EoT's Mansai and I like it. This is more of a traditional young sheng than the Manmai was, in my opinion. Nicely balanced, clean and layered.

Leaf aroma:
The rinsed leaves went from smelling of wet wood, to cream and vanilla, some raspberry, more cream, ice cream parlor aroma, ....

Later infusions yielded aromas that didn't seem to evolve as much; woodsy with an underlayer of fruitiness, then just wet wood in later infusions.

Brewed tea:
Not really much bitterness until at least the 5th infusion, but the bitterness was nice when it finally showed up. Hmmm how to describe the taste... tastes like... young sheng. The aroma of the tea is nice and soft, pretty gentle and inviting. The mouthfeel is very satisfying.

Qi:
The qi is strong, but similarly to the Manmai not abrupt. Maybe this is because I'm using less leaf than I usually would, but maybe not. I have zoned out many times in trying to type this up.
Last edited by teaskeptic on Sep 17th, '10, 08:47, edited 2 times in total.
teaskeptic

Postby debunix » Sep 12th, '10, 21:07

3 grams of the Yiwu in the 60mL gaiwans, water between 205 and 212, as hot as my teapot can keep it….

Flash rinse: Pour the heated water over the tea leaves until covered. Quickly pour out the water and allow the now rinsed leaves to sit for 60 sec.

1st steep- 1s
Smoky start, a little sweet, happiness already, touch of earthy, but mostly that smoky-sweet with the long sweet finish that I just love

2nd steep- 5s
Very similar, so nice; this one unfortunately got interrupted and the last part of it was drunk cold, but even cool, it was nice, just a little more like bacon than I really prefer.

3rd steep- should have been 20s, was actually more like 30s)
(long rest before this steep) warm, sweet, finding an edge of bitterness now in the first sweet, but will dilute it a bit….ahh! perfect. Sweet, smoky, earthy, that hint of herbaceous astringency, so nice. Taste buds doing a happy dance.

Rest 10 mins
4th steep- 20s
Sweeter, less of the astringency I had to dilute from the last overdone infusion, so nice, the smoky is fading, so now just touch of smoky/earthy and more vegetal/sweet.

5th steep- 60s
Didn't take notes, just enjoyed it.

Now on something like the 9th or 10th, still about a minute or two, getting lazy about the timing, but can be lazy about it because the long sweet finish is there and the bitter/astringency is not coming to the fore despite the rather random brewing. Infusions are happening between chores--so not a single concentrated session--but are fitting neatly into my day. Enjoying especially the wonderful match between the small cup from the TC TA SO #2 by ShyRabbit and my little Koi gaiwan. So nice. Again, I'm going to keep this one going a while longer, to enjoy that long finish.

This vs the previous Nannuo? Tossup. This one has a touch more bitterness in those middle infusions, but also more of the delightful smoky start, which for me is bonus rather than defect.

Edit to add a last note: someplace around the 12th infusion or so it hit the wall. Done now. Delightful stuff.
debunix

Postby Chip » Sep 12th, '10, 22:46

Thanks as always for the postings/reviews. :mrgreen:

Currently finishing the 5th steep of Nannuo from TIM/MTR.

The first steep was remarkable, lots of dried fruit ... apricot and plum ... not at all what I expected from a young sheng. This quickly gave way to more and more camphor with each new steep ... never experienced camphor to this degree. Starting to notice sweetness coming to the forefront.

So far not much bitterness nor really any smoke.

Overall so far, this Nannuo appears milder than the three 2010 OTTI pu-erh, and can certainly be brewed with a higher leaf to water ratio.

As Mork would say, "nannuo nannuo

These OTTI are a revelation.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Seeker » Sep 12th, '10, 23:11

Hey Chip,

what temperature are you using exactly? You know, for fisheye?

Many of y'all are getting results that are very different than what I'm experiencing, so since I have an inkling that you are likely measuring your water temp, I thought I'd ask.

(btw, I use RO water and heat in an all SS electric kettle).

Thanks.

cheers.
Seeker

Postby Chip » Sep 12th, '10, 23:34

Seeker, surprisingly, I am not being precise in temps. I boil the water as I am preparing, the electric SS kettle shuts off as I am finishing prep. I just more or less intuitively pour and reboil. Clearly the water has cooled a bit.

The water is well water that has been filtered with the GraviTea from Adagio.

The steep time seems uber critical, temp seems less critical ... steep too long and the temp is meaningless. IMHO
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby nickE » Sep 12th, '10, 23:55

Chip wrote:The steep time seems uber critical, temp seems less critical ... steep too long and the temp is meaningless. IMHO

This.

I always use boiling, it's just more convenient that way. :lol: Young Shengpu can get overly bitter whether it's 212F or not, depends entirely on steep time.

Of course ymmv.
nickE

Postby debunix » Sep 12th, '10, 23:58

Steep time and temp are directly but inversely related, methinks, at least as far as bitterness goes. Slightly lower temps, longer steeps before the bitter comes out; hotter temps, shorter steeps.

No right temp or steep time, but definitely need right time for the temp.
debunix

Postby Seeker » Sep 13th, '10, 01:52

Thank you.
Seeker

Postby entropyembrace » Sep 13th, '10, 15:33

Puerh arrived today thank you Chip! :D

Planning on tasting the Mansai today after lunch. :D
entropyembrace

Postby Drax » Sep 13th, '10, 18:49

I also noted w/ the Nannuo that I could taste the flavors much better once it had cooled. (That is, I would steep it with boiling water, but then only sip it a little initially, and more-so once my cup had cooled a bit).

Chip, I think it's interesting that you're identifying camphor in the shengs. Aside from the astringency, I have usually attributed the "cool lips" feeling and tingling to the bitterness, not necessarily to camphor.

However, aged sheng certainly has a camphor-like quality along with usually a wonderful sandalwood woodiness.

I have tended to pair those two flavors (woodiness and camphor) in my mind, but it could certainly be true of shengs as well, just the camphor would come across in a different environment and thus 'seem' different.

In any case, what I'm saying is -- I appreciate the description, because it's gotten me to ponder harder over what I've experienced. That's awesome! :D
Drax

Postby woozl » Sep 13th, '10, 19:44

Boom! Sandlewood....
woozl

Postby Chip » Sep 13th, '10, 19:55

BAM!!! Camphor!!!

:mrgreen:

Although I am definitely not a seasoned pu-erh drinker, I am certain of the camphor.
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions