Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby iannon » Feb 9th, '11, 10:54

TwoPynts wrote:I just want to clarify, #1 is the Menghai 1997 8582 "Wet Stored"?

Can you post the corresponding numbers to the proper tea Chip? Thanks.

The tea key is hidden in Chip's first post if you want to look. I have not yet as I am trying to guess which is what and stored how ;)
iannon

Postby iannon » Feb 9th, '11, 11:04

Ok..so I have tried #3 and #2. By far I enjoyed the #3 better. And with my limited experience of Pu and storage I am saying #3 is dry and #2 is wetter. I have found SO FAR...that i enjoy the Dry stored method much more..#1 on tap for tonite
iannon

Postby TwoPynts » Feb 9th, '11, 11:37

iannon wrote:
TwoPynts wrote:I just want to clarify, #1 is the Menghai 1997 8582 "Wet Stored"?

Can you post the corresponding numbers to the proper tea Chip? Thanks.

The tea key is hidden in Chip's first post if you want to look. I have not yet as I am trying to guess which is what and stored how ;)

Oh that's sneaky. Okay, thanks for pointing it out to my blind self.\
-------
TASTING #3

Dry leaf aroma is almost not there, just a hint of the standard Pu-Erh scent. I did two quick flash rinses.

1st cup: The smell reminds me of the slightly damp basement of an old home up in the North East part of the USA. It is not unpleasant at all, in fact it brings back childhood memories, but it is hard to pin down exactly what the scent is. I'm assuming it is due to the storage methods of this tea. The wet leaves have an even more intense aroma, but it also have a slightly floral, citrus hint to them. The broth appearance is reminiscent of a lightly roasted coffee and has a nice sheen to it. Mouth-feel is good with an immediate impact at the tip of my tongue that works its way backward after swallowing. It has a clean, fall leaf/ woody flavor that is slightly sweet to my taste buds. There is a hint of aged cheese there and not in a off-putting way. No real bitterness to speak of, though there is a slight pucker to the mouth after swallowing. The aftertaste lingers in traditional Hui Gan style.

2nd cup: More of the same, with a cedar woodiness hitting me first and then the lingering Hui Gan. I let this one cool a bit, and the broth is not quite as appealing when room temperature.

3rd cup: And more of the same but even more intense. A hint of camphor is making an appearance. I let someone else taste and smell it, and they agree it has an aroma that reminds us both of the interior of an old Quonset hut. I've yet to notice anything remotely fruity, even with the sweet aftertaste. The tea has a drying effect that lingers well after I've stopped drinking.

Overall, it is a very mellow brew with a calming Cha Qi that I find energizing at the same time. I was a bit on edge before I started drinking it but am now quite calm. I look forward to more infusions and will add to this post this if anything new crops up.

EDIT: I got through 7 infusions before calling it quits. The tea held up well and might have gone even further with longer steep times. The Hui Gan and drying at the back of the throat lasted throughout. The spent leave show a good variety and are in excellent condition considering their age. Not many powdered bits.
Last edited by TwoPynts on Feb 9th, '11, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
TwoPynts

Postby David R. » Feb 9th, '11, 13:32

I received the samples today. I shall have time to give them a try tomorrow.

Many thanks to Brandon, Nada, and Mr & Mrs Chip !
David R.

Postby iannon » Feb 9th, '11, 14:03

David R. wrote:I received the samples today. I shall have time to give them a try tomorrow.

Many thanks to Brandon, Nada, and Mr & Mrs Chip !

+1 Ditto from me..I have been remiss in not giving my thanks before today! These OTTI's are just an awesome way to explore the world of Tea. Thanks to all that out it together and contribute the tea's for it
iannon

Postby puerhking » Feb 9th, '11, 17:36

Thanks Mr. & Mrs. Chip...Brandon and Nada for putting this together.

Im drinking #2 right now. Wet storage makes this seem more like a tonic than tea. Medicinal and mildewy in the first couple of infusions. My tastebuds ask my brain if this is safe to drink. :P Mouthfeel is better than I expected.

Next couple of infusions delve into decomposing wood and loam with some sweetness. Flavors are becoming more harmonious but the wet storage is bullying the other flavors a bit. I'm not a huge wet storage fan, though a little can be nice.

Really lingers in the throat. I'm making some oolong now....lol.
puerhking

Postby gargoylekitty » Feb 9th, '11, 20:51

Drax wrote:
woozl wrote:Hermmm....
No id on packs.......I am truly blinded now.

I tried one last night, I will taste again before posting.
I understand Pu can be an acquired taste, perhaps it will grow on me.

Ruh roh! Take pictures of the before... you can probably ID the tea from comparison...

The pu arrived today! I'm surprised it didn't come yesterday given how close I live to Chip, but... here we go!

I'm in the same city as you, though no pu for me yet. :(

Still, as I wait, thank you Chip, Mrs. Chip, Nada, and Brandon for putting this together!
gargoylekitty

Postby mlafranc » Feb 9th, '11, 21:32

Tried #1 this morning. Brewed using same parameters as #2, which I liked. But #1 is not for me. It tasted like dirt and mold.

Moved on to #3 rather quickly. Liking this one a lot. Very fragrant and floral, almost spicy.

For me, it's a tie between #2, which I found delightfully mellow and woodsy and relaxing, and #3, which is more lively and floral.
mlafranc

Postby iannon » Feb 9th, '11, 21:36

mlafranc wrote:Tried #1 this morning. Brewed using same parameters as #2, which I liked. But #1 is not for me. It tasted like dirt and mold.

Moved on to #3 rather quickly. Liking this one a lot. Very fragrant and floral, almost spicy.

For me, it's a tie between #2, which I found delightfully mellow and woodsy and relaxing, and #3, which is more lively and floral.

Interesting...see i also liked #3. Actually i like #3 the best!..which i believe is the dry stored. I found #1 so far, for me, to be less moldy/earthy than #2 which was almost too moldy-ish for me
iannon

Postby putibungsu » Feb 10th, '11, 01:22

The samples arrived today. Look forward to trying them this weekend.

Thank you Brandon, Nada, Chip and the Mrs.!
putibungsu

Postby iannon » Feb 10th, '11, 01:31

iannon wrote:
mlafranc wrote:Tried #1 this morning. Brewed using same parameters as #2, which I liked. But #1 is not for me. It tasted like dirt and mold.

Interesting...see i also liked #3. Actually i like #3 the best!..which i believe is the dry stored. I found #1 so far, for me, to be less moldy/earthy than #2 which was almost too moldy-ish for me

Ok..so I say #1 was less moly/earthy..but it also had less flavor/depth..so take your pick i guess there eh? still for me was more drinkable just because it was less powerful on the mustiness.
iannon

Postby nada » Feb 10th, '11, 05:52

mlafranc wrote:Tried #1 this morning....

Moved on to #3 rather quickly.

The flavours of aged puerh, especially those that aren't dry stored, can be a bit of an acquired taste. It isn't for everyone.

A suggestion - instead of dumping the leaves and deciding that you don't like it with the first or second infusion, try doing a 2-3 longish infusions and dumping those. This will wash off the flavour of the storage and with subsequent infusions the flavour of the tea will change quite a bit - the actual flavour of the leaves will show through more.

Aged puerh really needs a few infusions to open up properly - it's a shame really to abandon it before it gets the chance.
nada
Vendor Member

Postby MarshalN » Feb 10th, '11, 12:27

Actually, the correct course of action for a tea that seems to taste too moldy is to leave it around for a year, and try it again then. That usually solves the problem especially if it's just a small sample.

But yes, aged pu really starts at around infusion 5. Everything before that can be considered noise. An old relevant post of mine...

http://www.marshaln.com/2009/03/wednesd ... h-25-2009/
MarshalN

Postby Chip » Feb 10th, '11, 13:13

We live, drink more tea (and apparently many more steeps than we thought), and learn!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us Nada and MarshalN.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby woozl » Feb 10th, '11, 14:05

Well then, I still have only #1.
I stopped after 7 or so infusions.
I picked right up the following day,
and found the tea smoother and more complex.
I got another 7 or so infusions, I gave up before the tea did.
I still have half the sample to brew.
Last edited by woozl on Feb 10th, '11, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
woozl

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions