Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby Seeker » Feb 16th, '11, 02:03

Thank you TC. I totally love it too. It is my sort of official puerh cup.
It's thickness keeps my fingers very comfy while I drink HOT tea.
I think you had asked about it before, I do keep my eyes peeled, I'll try to remember you and to let you know if the artist makes another (or more likely if/when I track down the artist as Winnie at Teance likes to rotate artists through in terms of the wares she has available).

Thanks Marsha for the link - nice article. It did leave me wondering what you'd think more specifically about a long rinse vs several quick ones. Also wonder what your thoughts are re: boiling water and bad micro-o's and also relative to rinse times/steep times.
And lastly - I tend to start a pot and drink it over 1 to 3 days also!

cheers.
Seeker

Postby entropyembrace » Feb 16th, '11, 02:07

Ok have been drinking the Malaysian dry stored brick on and off all afternoon and evening so here´s my impressions...

Dominate notes are woody...there´s some sweetness and camphor in there too. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a bit of tingling in the middle of the tongue and roof of the mouth followed by a cooling sensation....overall very pleasant :)
entropyembrace

Postby MarshalN » Feb 16th, '11, 02:15

Seeker wrote:
Thanks Marsha for the link - nice article. It did leave me wondering what you'd think more specifically about a long rinse vs several quick ones. Also wonder what your thoughts are re: boiling water and bad micro-o's and also relative to rinse times/steep times.
And lastly - I tend to start a pot and drink it over 1 to 3 days also!

cheers.

Just for clarification, btw, it's Marshal, not that it's my real name, but Marsha implies a specific gender to which I do not belong. :)

I think shorter, quicker rinses are the order of the day. Long rinses can be too long, and I think the physical act of pouring the water and stirring the tea can sometimes bring out things that a long steady steep does not. This is especially true if the tea is tightly compressed.

+1 for boiling water. Using anything less than that is a waste of aged pu. If it's too bitter, the remedy is to shorten the steep or lower the amount of leaves, not lower the temperature.

Micro-o's? A city full of people (Hong Kong) drink this stuff every day, and they have one of the world's highest life expectancy. There will always be people who insist that moldy puerh is bad for you. Draw your own conclusions, I guess.
MarshalN

Postby Seeker » Feb 16th, '11, 03:47

Thanks Marshal.
Sorry for the misunderstanding/typo.
:oops:
Seeker

Postby Shinzou » Feb 16th, '11, 05:44

got my tea for over a week ago, but couldn't drink it until Saturday together with Kaminix. I haven't tasted so much Pu-erh so here is my thoughts about tea #1, Nadas Tea:

We started with a cheaper Pu-erh to have some referens point (forgot the name on it so ask Kaminix ^^).

Compared to younger puerhs I found that the this one had very little "stable"-smell and taste.

First brewing was light in colour and had a earthly tone to it and was pretty sharp in taste. No form of bitterness followed but instead a sweetness. For those of you who like Whiskey I can describe the taste like a well aged whisky, but with some water splashed in to it, to reduce the extreme "it taste like a fist in the face" (hope you understand the analogy).

The second infusion was more tasteful but with more bitterness, and the rest of the infusions was a mix of the best from the first two infusions.

Overall I thought that the tea wasn't something special, until the day after when I tasted our referens puerh again. Nadas tea was a lot more enjoyable in taste and smell.

The two teas from Brandon is next. Hopefully we will be able to drink them soon.
Shinzou

Postby solitude » Feb 16th, '11, 07:38

Hi Guys
I received my package last Friday. Unfortunately I am out of my country so I can drink it only at the beginning of March.
Maybe it could be a good idea to put all of the t brewing parameters recommended by the providers in one post. I know that they were mentioned but there are so many posts to go through.
And of course thanks to the providers and the organiser, I really appreciate it.
solitude

Postby Drax » Feb 19th, '11, 21:06

It seems a shame that this thread should go so quiet so soon.

I had to take a pause on sample #3 for a couple days, but brewed it a few more times today. I was really surprised at how the flavor on this one seemed to back off. In the later infusions it has such a sweet straw quality...
Drax

Postby JRS22 » Feb 20th, '11, 15:50

First off, I learned my lesson about tea temperature. Cooler water, such as 180 degrees, might be necessary for shu or young sheng, but boiling water is definitely the place to begin with the aged sheng.

We started on the Malaysian stored brick this morning. Too soon for details, since we've only done 5 steeps so far. That said, if the flavor of the first few steeps are the the flavor of the storage (Thanks MarshalN for the explanation AND the puerh), then I like Malaysian stored puerh! So if the next 15 steeps are as good as the first 5, is there a way to buy puerh that's been stored this way, or do you need a friend in Malaysia?
Last edited by JRS22 on Feb 20th, '11, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
JRS22

Postby TubbyCow » Feb 20th, '11, 16:35

Drax wrote:It seems a shame that this thread should go so quiet so soon

Never fear - the lagging Canadian is here! Got the teas a few days ago, but I haven't had a chance to bust 'em out yet. Starting today with the 1997 8582 (thanks, Brandon!)

Steeped in 100 mL porcelain gaiwan. The smell reminds me of summer camp - woody, a touch smoky, outdoorsy, airy. It's robust and endlessly smooth. I was too busy drinking to actually write too many notes re: flavours and whatnot, but it's quite delicious! I just finished steep #16, which was a 45 second infusion, and the tea is still going strong.

Glorious stuff.
TubbyCow

Postby Chip » Feb 20th, '11, 16:53

I appreciate the sharing of info from the more experienced here! I had not thought that the first several steeps you are tasting the "storage." Interesting indeed.

Had the Bulang from Nada a few days ago with the Mrs. Although I found the Bulang to offer some bitter notes which I would expect, I found it to be very easily tamed, but still had to focus on the brewing, no lapses in concentration permitted. :mrgreen: I will retaste this and offer more notes.

The aromas were very enjoyable to me, a feature of most teas that is most appealing.

Today, broke out the Malaysian stored brick from Brandon. TBH, this one troubled me the most as I was breaking it apart for participants, and the results were smaller and more broken leaf fragments. This sucker was realllly compressed. I was concerned how would this translate to the cup???

Well, it did not in a negative way that I could tell, brewed very easily and is offering early aromas of sassafras and birch root and woodsie, earthy. I am finding this enjoyable so far, and even a momentary meandering of my mind as I was sipping the 2nd steep while brewing the third left no ill effects ... seems easy to brew.

After 3 steeps and allowing it to rest, still feeling and tasting this one on my tongue.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby David R. » Feb 21st, '11, 15:23

Third and last day with sample #1 using a teapot this time. The first brews were quite strong and bitter, but after that I really enjoyed the many following cups, pushing very far with several hours brews.

I preferred this tea brewed in my teapot.
Attachments
IMG_7537a.JPG
IMG_7537a.JPG (89.41 KiB) Viewed 970 times
David R.

Postby Seeker » Feb 21st, '11, 19:28

Beauooooteeeful shot David!

Gonna have to have some puerh now.
Seeker

Postby the_skua » Feb 23rd, '11, 11:54

Finally catching up here. Started with #2, the '97 8582. I'm not sure that wet stored is for me. Some excerpts and shots from my blog below.

To me, the flavors depart from the realm of agriculture and nature. The flavors no longer taste like tea to me, they taste like the basement in which the tea was stored. Full of talc, basement, salt peter, attic, wet cardboard, old paper, medicine, and grandmothers, I feel as though these flavors lead me on one of my father’s genealogy expeditions or a trip into an historic copper mine shaft than through a sub-tropical forest or a farm of any kind. I do appreciate the woody, ginseng-like herbal qualities, but always end up vacillating between an appreciation of those flavors and a distaste for the damp, musty ones heralding a basement storage. I think I was a little too far gone to really focus on the flavors when I had the 1985 Menghai 8582 with Tim at The Mandarin’s Tea Room, but have a pouch of 1980s Menghai 79092 Loose Ripe which perplexes me in the same way for its super-heavy talc, grandmother, medicine and basement flavors.

Everyone has their own palate, suited to certain flavors and textures. Obviously, with aged sheng puerh being very popular, there are quite a few people for whom the flavor profile of this type of stored tea matches their palate. However, I think I am more attracted to the young, fresh, and fruit-like earth tones of teas such as young sheng puerh, certain oolongs, whites and dark green japanese teas. All that said, I’m still excited to try the other two examples in this tasting to see what variations in storage condition can elicit from the tea.

1997 Menghai 8582 "Wet Stored" - Dry Leaves by the_skua, on Flickr

1997 Menghai 8582 "Wet Stored" - Soup by the_skua, on Flickr

1997 Menghai 8582 "Wet Stored" - Steeped Leaves by the_skua, on Flickr
the_skua

Postby tortoise » Feb 23rd, '11, 17:30

the_skua wrote:.

To me, the flavors depart from the realm of agriculture and nature. The flavors no longer taste like tea to me, they taste like the basement in which the tea was stored. Full of talc, basement, salt peter, attic, wet cardboard, old paper, medicine, and grandmothers,

Yeah. Smells like the basement in the Bates' home. At least, that's were they keep Granny. I don't know where they keep their pu-erh.
Attachments
Picture 2.png
Where's the pu, Granny? "Over there, by the talc."
Picture 2.png (112.02 KiB) Viewed 889 times
tortoise

Postby Chip » Feb 23rd, '11, 18:29

lol. :lol: actually having this one right now. Interestingly the Mrs. is overwhelmed by the storage where I am not. As many have said, this may be a love or hate thing.

4th steep in ... aromas of cedar come to mind for both of us ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions