OTTI Think Tank 1: You say OTTI, I say JTTI?

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI Think Tank 1: You say OTTI, I say JTTI?

Postby Chasm » Mar 24th, '11, 10:00

Chip wrote:I am considering splitting the OTTI in general.

Create something called something such as JTTI under OTTI, pronounced jatti and standing for Japanese Tea Tasting Initiative. Then we could offer one JTTI round per month as a goal that would include teas like sencha, gyokuro, matcha, karigane/kukicha, guricha, etc. And seasonal offerings like a sakura tasting.

Then all other teas would still be under OTTI and we would shoot for one of these per month.

This would give all the other teas more of an opportunity instead of competing so to speak with Japanese teas.

So, what do you think? I welcome your comments, please.

Thanks,
Chip

YES, YES, PLEASE, WANT JAPANESE GREENS.
Chasm

Postby Chasm » Mar 24th, '11, 10:27

I'm too new a member to have had a chance to participate in any OTTI yet, but I look forward to the chance. I wasn't originally aware teas had been donated by vendors, but it makes good business sense for them to do so.

When it comes to the premium gyokuros, I see no reason not to go with the group-buy method you proposed, for the very reasons you list. I would want to participate in the chance to try premium teas chosen by those more expert than myself, so what vendors to favor wouldn't concern me, only that the teas chosen were good. It might turn out in the end that some vendors would offer reduced prices on premium teas for the chance to be included, if by their calculation it makes good business sense.

I'd be grateful for each donated tea, but I'd like the vendors to feel no expectation from us that they donate tea. For each tea donated or included at a reduced rate, I'd like the individual vendors to make the decision based on what they think makes sense for them each time. If there's one you want to include for which we have to pay, that seems fine to me.
Chasm

Postby Chasm » Mar 24th, '11, 10:42

I like the idea of generous private donors, such as brandon, getting free OTTI's or some other way to show appreciation for their generosity. I'm fine with paying a bit extra on each OTTI to make sure that can happen.

Once I get a chance to be in one, that is. :)
Chasm

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions