Oil Slick like film on top of my tea.

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 14th, '06, 16:00

Oil Slick like film on top of my tea.

by Jim. » May 14th, '06, 16:00

Whenever I brew tea ANY variety. I get a very thin layer of film on top of the tea. I can actually take it off with a spoon or fork. Is this oil from the leaves? Dishwashing liquid? Something else?

Any advice anyone has would be great. Thanks!

May 14th, '06, 16:29

by peachaddict » May 14th, '06, 16:29

I've never seen that before. I'm really not sure, but I don't think it's the leaves. Anyone know?
"Oh, those are my subconscious thoughts. I shouldn't listen too hard if I were you. I'm not all that proud of some of them." - Doctor Who

May 14th, '06, 17:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 14th, '06, 17:46

Jim...that is too gross...and definately not normal. But a little more info might help.
And maybe others have experienced this.
Is the film present when the tea is still very hot, are they flavored teas, how do you prepare your tea, and do you experience this any other time, do you add anything to the tea other than water? Have you tried alternative water sources for your tea such as bottled water?

If I were you, I too would want to get to the bottom of this.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 14th, '06, 17:51

by Jim. » May 14th, '06, 17:51

I make Irish Breakfast, mango, and Ginseing Green. I am going to try to make some tea with bottled water. I'll report my results in a few minutes.

May 14th, '06, 17:59

by marz910 » May 14th, '06, 17:59

could rising the tea first help prevent this or could it just be a bad batch?

May 14th, '06, 18:14

by Jim. » May 14th, '06, 18:14

I brewed up some Irish breakfast with bottled water and got no film. Now my next experiment will be to use tap water without the PUR filter I put my tap water through. I would hate to think that I have to buy bottled water to make tea.

However the tea does SMELL a lot better and LOOK a lot clearer.

May 14th, '06, 18:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 14th, '06, 18:34

...hmmm, maybe your Pur water filter needs maintenance...a poorly maintained water purifyer is worse than none at all.
And if your tea is showing film because of your water, where else are you digesting this mysterious film and not even knowing it.

But buying bottled water is a small price to pay for great tea. However, water run through a properly operating filter should not produce tea with a film...

...just my 2 cents worth.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 14th, '06, 19:34

by TeaFanatic » May 14th, '06, 19:34

Maybe it is time that you replace the filter on your pur water filter? Also, I would recommend buying a pitcher filter too and that way you can filter the water twice.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

May 26th, '06, 17:59

Soap

by timkb » May 26th, '06, 17:59

This oily looking film sounds like soap residue.

I don't ever wash my teaware in the dishwasher and rarely if ever with soap. This is also a common practice with champagne glasses. Once they have been washed with detergents the surface quality changes.

Have you tried steeping a cup in a brand new glass which you have never washed with soap?

May 27th, '06, 23:33

by Darth Jeeling » May 27th, '06, 23:33

It sounds like soap. It happened to me when an elderly and somewhat blind relative visited and insisted on doing the dishes.
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

May 29th, '06, 22:13

by maxman » May 29th, '06, 22:13

I see you're in Illinois. I'm also in Illinois. If I use tap water I get a film on my tea. If we make iced tea it gets cloudy.
I use filtered water from the store for my tea.
Filters do not help.

May 30th, '06, 00:50

by rabbit » May 30th, '06, 00:50

Well, I've had that happen at times as well, I'm not so sure it's soap residue, I believe I read in the connoisseurs guide to tea that that can be caused from excess of minerals in your water (I THINK it was minerals), are you using tap water? If you are you should definitely switch to bottled water.

[edit] if it IS soap, you could just stick the cup in boiling water for a bit and I think that'd get most off.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

May 30th, '06, 21:53

by javyn » May 30th, '06, 21:53

I have that oily gunk build up in my kettle. When i notice it in my tea, i know its time to rinse out the inside of the kettle while wiping it with paper towell. I assume it's just minerals that build up in the water.
John

Jun 1st, '06, 20:08

by Darth Jeeling » Jun 1st, '06, 20:08

On the off chance that it is minerals, it might be worth making sure that the bottled water you buy doesn't contain any, since minerals are often put in.
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

Jun 1st, '06, 20:52

by rabbit » Jun 1st, '06, 20:52

Darth Jeeling wrote:On the off chance that it is minerals, it might be worth making sure that the bottled water you buy doesn't contain any, since minerals are often put in.
Well I think you need some because they add flavour, just not ALOT, I use poland spring water for my tea and it tastes good to me.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

+ Post Reply