tea keeping me awake

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 9th, '05, 11:55

tea keeping me awake

by charlotte » Jun 9th, '05, 11:55

I was trying to find some info regarding the caffeine in tea vs the caffeine in coffee. I am a big coffee drinker - but drink iced tea during the summer months.

According to the literature I found, coffee has much more caffeine in it than tea - but for the past few weeks since I have gone into my hot weather tea drinking - I am awake until 2 or 3 AM.

I use just a regular tea - Lipton's or Louisiana, when I make my iced-tea.

I can drink coffee up until the time I go to bed without worrying about being able to sleep -

Anyone know why I am getting this effect from the tea?

Thanks,

Jun 10th, '05, 15:38

the jitters

by chris » Jun 10th, '05, 15:38

Thanks for the post.

While it is true that tea has more caffeine than coffee when measuring them in their dry form, this is false when comparing brewed coffee and tea.

Here is a link for the caffeine content in many popular drinks:

http://www.adagio.com/info/caffeine.html

To save yourself some insomnia, you may wish to switch to herbals once the sun goes down. Here's a great Chamomile that's sure to send you to Dreamland:

http://www.adagio.com/herbal/chamomile.html

Hope this helps,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Jun 10th, '05, 21:53

by Mina » Jun 10th, '05, 21:53

I'm a big fan of rooibos for the nighttime. It has a deepness that I don't get from herbal flavored teas, which makes it more satisfying to me. Deepness? Does that make sense? I mean that the taste and timbre (?) of rooibos is similar to black tea, minus the caffeine.

Jun 13th, '05, 22:04

by chefmom » Jun 13th, '05, 22:04

I have to second the rooibos teas to wind down! Rooibos Capetown is a good one for the evening. There's a white chocolate toffe rooibos that goes great with a sweet dinner finale!
Ruth
etiquette answers, weeknight menus, cooking forums
www.northwoodskitchen.com

Jul 1st, '05, 05:07

Reducing caffeine in tea

by ElizMiss » Jul 1st, '05, 05:07

To decaffeinate black tea I use this tip offered by a tea shop: Pour a cup of your brew water over the leaves for 30 seconds (to remove 80-85% of caffeine) or 60 seconds (to remove up to 95%) then pour it off and brew as usual. This works for me-I drink my tea until late in the evening.

Jul 16th, '05, 00:06

by PeteVu » Jul 16th, '05, 00:06

wow thanks! im definately gonna try that tip! my sleep schedule is so sensitive and i usually forbid myself to drink tea after 9pm, but the thought of enjoying a cup in bed would be simply a dream. ^^
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

+ Post Reply