Sunbeam vs. Adagio?

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Postby Tadiera » Jan 5th, '06, 10:21

Over Christmas, I got the TriniTEA (yay!). While, due to the inability to adjust temperature, I wouldn't use it for greens and whites, it's been absolutely wonderful in making the process of making IB to take in to work with me so much easier. :)
Tadiera

Postby jzero » Jan 5th, '06, 12:06

Tadiera wrote:Over Christmas, I got the TriniTEA (yay!). While, due to the inability to adjust temperature, I wouldn't use it for greens and whites, it's been absolutely wonderful in making the process of making IB to take in to work with me so much easier. :)

I hooked mine to a timer so that it's ready when I wake up in the morning :)

There is also an unofficial trick to controlling the temperature, which is putting about 20% of the cold water directly into the infusing chamber and then put the rest in the boiler. Just make sure you don't dump a cup into the infuser and 4 cups into the boiler...that would be messy. :)
jzero

Postby Tadiera » Jan 5th, '06, 12:43

jzero wrote:
Tadiera wrote:Over Christmas, I got the TriniTEA (yay!). While, due to the inability to adjust temperature, I wouldn't use it for greens and whites, it's been absolutely wonderful in making the process of making IB to take in to work with me so much easier. :)

I hooked mine to a timer so that it's ready when I wake up in the morning :)

There is also an unofficial trick to controlling the temperature, which is putting about 20% of the cold water directly into the infusing chamber and then put the rest in the boiler. Just make sure you don't dump a cup into the infuser and 4 cups into the boiler...that would be messy. :)

Good idea that - I'll have to keep it in mind. :)

You'd have to time when you put the cold water in though, I expect. :)
Tadiera

Postby jzero » Jan 5th, '06, 14:34

Tadiera wrote:You'd have to time when you put the cold water in though, I expect. :)

In the other TriniTEA thread (check the Teaware forum), it was indicated that having the tea leaves floating in the cold water for a few minutes doesn't have any negative impact. YMMV...
jzero

Postby rhpot1991 » Jan 6th, '06, 15:34

I have a sunbeam tea drop sitting at my desk at work. I picked it up cause my old electric kettle broke and I needed a new one for work the next day. Picked it up for $30. Its basically the same as the iced tea machine I have at home, put water in, it heats it and pumps it into a "chamber" where it sits for a small amount of time and constantly flows through into the pot. I think it gets a little too hot for the green & white teas (I havent tested the temp with a thermometer yet). Overall its not a bad product for the price and its nice and compact, but I certainly do wish I had a triniTEA instead.

-John
rhpot1991

Postby Ally » Jan 6th, '06, 16:35

i emailed sunbeam a while ago and got a response yesterday:

Thank you for your E mail. My name is STEVE T. and I will be glad to assist you.

This unit, is based ont he same principle as a coffeemaker. Hot water will be sprayed out over the tea bag/leaves, and from there it drips into the tea carafe.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

Sincerely,

STEVE T.
Sunbeam Consumer Services

i purchased a GE electric kettle from walmart for $30 and am very happy w/that. i didn't want something very costly or valuable at work (b/c god knows what might happen to it) and i wanted a elec kettle that had boil dryprevention. so far, so good :)
Ally

Sunbeam

Postby Slammer » Jan 10th, '06, 15:30

Just bought the Tea Drop this past weekend and it makes great tea and fast. We really like it and would recommend it anyone . . .it uses either tea bags or loose tea and you can set the strength . . .
Slammer

Postby rhpot1991 » Jan 10th, '06, 17:00

Have you actually tried setting the strength, I own one and no matter what strength I set it at the tea seems to come out about the same. I will agree that it makes the tea nice and fast and is a fairly easy cleanup. Another thing with sunbeam, their support is terrable, I lost the manual for my machine and wanted to know how to clean it, so I emailed them asking for a digital copy of the manual. Here we are 2 months later, and the only email I have gotten from them are several 'Your email will be answered within 48 hours' auto responses and one email asking what the model number was, which I had filled out on the original form, no emails back with any info on what I was looking for.

-John
rhpot1991

Postby garden gal » Jan 10th, '06, 20:46

I bought the triniTea just recently. I justified the cost by thinking of the amount of times in the past 20+ years that we have eaten out that everyone ordered sodas ( which now cost $2 most places) while I only get water. I figure at a bare minimum that has saved $104/year probably more per year for 20 years. Tea is also cheaper than soda, milk or OJ at home. I love the tea maker and I don't have to worry about leaving the burner on by mistake. The taste is sooooo much better. A friend had a sunbeam type machine and it was 1/2 the price but the results were noticeable. When you think of the cost over the lifespan of the unit it really is minimal, not to mention the measure of pure enjoyment you get.
garden gal

what is maximum steep time?

Postby flotsette » Jan 15th, '06, 19:28

Can anyone tell me the maximum steeping time for the TriniTEA? I mix herbal blends that I steep for 10-15 min to get the maximum medicinal effect. Wondering if I can do that in this product. Thanks!
flotsette

nevermind

Postby flotsette » Jan 15th, '06, 19:46

Nevermind, I found it's 7 minutes in another thread. Forgive me please :)
flotsette

Postby garden gal » Jan 15th, '06, 19:49

Actually you can do it for longer if you turn it off in the middle- (don't ask me how I know). I added just a smidge more water to the top, turned it back on and it went through the process without any problems.
garden gal

Well...

Postby Colocelt » Apr 18th, '06, 14:31

I really want a TriniTea (And will get one someday), and I am excited for the development of it as some of the R&D kinks are ironed out…aren’t machines fun?

Since I can be lazy, and want immediate justification at times (It is that lazy thing again) I just purchased the Sunbeam Tea Drop it was on sale for $24 so, why not try it? …

Well, it is ok, for that fast cup of PG Tips or Celestial Seasonings Herbal Infusions and if you don’t care about strength temperature etc. of your teas. But for the higher quality teas I would still opt for the traditional tea pot steep. (I don’t know if I will ever use it for my loose leaf teas)

It is not even the same league as the TriniTea (I hope), it is just an appliance makers 1st attempt to get into the hot tea brewing market (And since many people are not the wiser and some people are not as particular-yet-about the decadent subtleties of brewing tea it will continue to sell). Coffee maker dubbed Tea Drop…

Just an FYI about the “strength’ setting, it only controls how fast the water comes out of the spout, not how long the steep is.

If you are particular about brewing, it is a no contest; you should not by the Sunbeam. If you are one that really does not pay attention to strength, temperature and such, you will probably do fine with it.

Even though it is less than desirable, it is nice to see that there are more mainstream products out there for us hot tea drinkers…we are starting to move in a good direction…
Colocelt

Postby zammer » May 8th, '06, 18:46

Despite the "Steeping Adjustmentg Control," tea is exactly the same color and flavor if the control is set to MILD or STRONG. Moreover, the time from turning the switch ON to end of process is the same no matter the "steeping control" setting. Sunbeam insists the control is effective, and sent me a second unit, which works just as the first. The water is heated to only 160 degrees, not boiling. I agree with Colocelt in all respects.

I was going to buy a Trinitea, but the many negative blogs convinced me not to. I emailed Adagio asking what changes/improvements there will be in the upcoming model. I'll post the reply when/if I get one.
zammer

Postby garden gal » May 15th, '06, 07:52

Where did you find negative blogs :shock: - Those people are crazy!! I LOVE my triniTea! I got mine for Christmas from my hubby (he told me -find a good tea pot so I did). I use it on the average of 4 times a day and make tea up ahead to go in water bottles when we were traveling. It is one of my most used appliances right up there with the stove and fridge. That said- I will probably get a new one when they come out, not because this one is any big hassle to add a little water to the basket for green tea but because I WANT one (plus my son is eyeing mine for when he moves out). To tell you how spoiled I am- I was making lipton tea bagged tea for my husbands sweet tea yesterday and was complaining to myself about the hassles of boiling water, adding tea bags, timing it and removing tea bags- yea- I know- spoiled with trinitea- that's what I am.
garden gal

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions