Yerba Mate link to cancer?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Mar 22nd, '09, 13:56
Scrolling: scrolling

Yerba Mate link to cancer?

by Chip » Mar 22nd, '09, 13:56

AOL News: Yerba Mate and cancer

Just read this today. Not much meat to the article, but worth looking into.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 23rd, '09, 09:03

by Jasmin » Mar 23rd, '09, 09:03

Increases cancer risk, reduces cancer risk..... Which is it?
I think as with anything moderation is the key. I drink a cup of mate tea about once a day. I don't think I need to be worried. I hope not.
Thanks for posting the article. I'll keep an eye out for more articles about it.

Mar 24th, '09, 15:10
Scrolling: fixed

Guarded answer

by Intuit » Mar 24th, '09, 15:10

Nice file entry on Yerba mate in a commercial tropical plant database:

http://www.rain-tree.com/yerbamate.htm

Looking over the info, I would hazard a guess that cancer risk from consumption of yerba mate is linked to other factors that predispose an individual to oral cavity and esophageal cancers and is therefore a secondary, not primary causal factor. These other factors may include tobacco use/second-hand exposure, acute and chronic air and water pollutant exposure, family and ethnic genetics, long-term nutritional status, age and other lifestyle factors (diet, sleep, exercise) that generally affect cancer risk, and specific factors related to yerba mate production, consumption rate and product adulteration.

Apr 3rd, '09, 01:44

by Stonehenge541 » Apr 3rd, '09, 01:44

Generally the Cancer risk for Yerba is the same of all teas. The main concern is the Temprature that the drink is served at. Recently it has come up on the news a few times. Both Yerba and Tea show cancer fighting properties but the high heat increases the risk of oral cancer. :? Whatcha gonna do? I've refused to give up hot tea...it gets me going.
Tea, Unicycles, Video Games, Friends, and Family

I say Bring em on

Apr 3rd, '09, 13:44

In The News

by Chai Baby » Apr 3rd, '09, 13:44

They have said in the news lately about cancer of the throat from having your tea to hot, but I am not sure about it.

On the other hand World Tea News reported a study indicating that tea drinking may decrease the risk of breast cancer. The study, conducted at the Moffitt Cancer Center, was published in Cancer, Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. The research team observed that participants who consumed three or more cups of tea per day had a "37 percent reduced breast cancer risk when compared with women reporting no tea consumption."

Though research must continue to occur in order to support the many and varied health claims related to tea, it's nevertheless striking that positive research results are pouring in from all over the globe. I think we're just beginning to understand what a truly amazing plant this is.

Apr 6th, '09, 12:32

by Psyc.rose » Apr 6th, '09, 12:32

Ive seen these articles as well, but as mentioned......there are ones that state the opposite. So which is it? Honestly ive fallen in love with yerba mate. It is my #1 favorite beverage. It helps me mentally and physically when im running. I recently had a 5k and my 3 gourds of Yerba mate really helped me.

Im not giving up mate, Im already a vegetarian get plenty of sleep and quit smoking a while ago.

I think odds are in my favor :?

Jul 28th, '09, 13:11

Re: Yerba Mate link to cancer?

by myteaismate » Jul 28th, '09, 13:11

What doesn't cause cancer? The way they test this stuff is applying concentrated doses on cells and observing the dna mutations - anything will cause cancer in that type of concentration! Moderation is the key!

Aug 3rd, '09, 01:11

by depravitea » Aug 3rd, '09, 01:11

So Mate causes cancer, and M&Ms reduce spinal damage? lmao
Wha...??

Hey kids, don't drink herbals, eat CANDY!!

Sep 7th, '09, 13:40
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Sep 7th, '09, 13:40

I often wonder who funds this research. Follow the money and you find the motivation behind the research. Anymore, various companies and interest groups have their fingers in the pie and the studies aren't unbiased.

Life will kill you. :shock: If you really love Yerba Mate, I figure unless there's a conclusive study showing it really does cause cancer, you'll probably still drink it.

Sep 7th, '09, 16:46

by Chip » Sep 7th, '09, 16:46

8) Good points, I often wonder where the money trail leads as well.

I saw the article and figured it was good fodder for discussion.

Sep 7th, '09, 20:09

by Intuit » Sep 7th, '09, 20:09

There was a quietly published article in the NEJM (New Engl J Medicine) last month that raised a ruckus on Capitol Hill with respect to the FDA. Seems as though certain pharmaceuticals were paying MDs to put their name to ghost written reviews (and maybe drug studies) reporting drug efficacy that served as technical endorsement for certain big name drugs.

Obama and company know that the FDA and it's regulations needs significant overhaul; they've prioritized how they're going to do it...so they say.

Sep 7th, '09, 20:24

by silverneedles » Sep 7th, '09, 20:24

pharmaceuticals were paying MDs?
no,
its
crooked MDs accepting bribes.
sad, but people are still people no matter how many diplomas, years in school etc
Last edited by silverneedles on Sep 7th, '09, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 7th, '09, 20:25

by Intuit » Sep 7th, '09, 20:25

Well ya, that too.

Sep 7th, '09, 20:45

by Chip » Sep 7th, '09, 20:45

... sick ... but we all know the system is messed up. But for all the bad, there is a ton of good as well.

What can and will be done to right the ship is anyone's guess. Short of getting political, I can say little else, so I will bow out. :wink:

Sep 7th, '09, 21:29

by woozl » Sep 7th, '09, 21:29

"The same thing that helps you live,
can kill you in the end." N. Young

+ Post Reply