Mar 26th, '09, 12:22

Sencha 'Kyo no Tsuyu' from Maiko Tea Shop (Japan)

by esabet » Mar 26th, '09, 12:22

Very recently I purchased 200g of Sencha 'Kyo no Tsuyu' from Maiko Tea Shop. Here is the link: http://www.maiko.ne.jp/english/shopping/sencha.htm

It arrived yesterday afternoon. This was the very first time I was trying a Japanese Green Tea and after the first brew discovered that it was not my cup of tea!!! (Now I know where the expression comes from! LOL :) )

The 200g of tea comes in two separate 100g air sealed packages. I opened only one package and made one serving (10g).

So now I have in total 190g of the tea. Everything is in original packaging and I even have the original invoice. (For heaven sakes it only arrived yesterday.

I have to depart from this tea to open up space for the next patch and will sell it at a good price. Please let me know if you are interested.

Mar 26th, '09, 15:03

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 26th, '09, 15:03

Before you give up on Japanese greens completely, how did you brew this one? Senchas are notorious for being tricky to get just right, so it might be good to try it again with a different set of brewing parameters. If the water was too hot or the steep was too long, sencha can get bitter or overly astringent. Try cooler water, like around 160*F for the first steep for about 1 minute, using about 1 tsp of leaf per 5oz of water. Good luck!

Mar 26th, '09, 15:15

by woozl » Mar 26th, '09, 15:15

I never preheat the brewing vessel, this helps keep the leaves from "stewing"
I always hated sencha until I had a proper cuppa.
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Mar 26th, '09, 15:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 26th, '09, 15:56

I DO always preheat, but then use a cooler water.

10 grams is a lot of leaf for a newbie to sencha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try half of that. A common ratio is around .7 grams per ounce of water. Around 160-170* in a preheated pot. I start with around a 90 second steep and work from there.

I hope you give it another go ...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 26th, '09, 17:13

by Dreamer » Mar 26th, '09, 17:13

I read this swap note earlier...was in a hurry and did not have time to reply, but I hoped that someone would jump in and encourage you to give sencha another chance or two.

First steeps can be tricky, but I've found that almost no matter how you make the first steep, the 2nd will be awesome. My seconds steep is usually with water about 160 to 170 (I'm too impatient to check it consistently) for 30-45 seconds. Usually the third is pretty darn good too at around 45-60 seconds.

Usually I start with one minute and forty five seconds or less for the first steep (a minute is perfect sometimes) with water at about 160.

How long and how hot you brew can dramatically change the taste of Japanese greens...like I mean too hot and too long can make some taste like swampwater! But if you find parameters that work for you, you may have a new obsession!

Have fun,
Dreamer

Mar 26th, '09, 17:25

by esabet » Mar 26th, '09, 17:25

You said it right! it tasted just like "swampwater"! My wife called it fishy!!

I think I will follow everyones guidelines and give it a second chance! After reading the comments I can see a few things I did wrong!
Dreamer wrote:I read this swap note earlier...was in a hurry and did not have time to reply, but I hoped that someone would jump in and encourage you to give sencha another chance or two.

First steeps can be tricky, but I've found that almost no matter how you make the first steep, the 2nd will be awesome. My seconds steep is usually with water about 160 to 170 (I'm too impatient to check it consistently) for 30-45 seconds. Usually the third is pretty darn good too at around 45-60 seconds.

Usually I start with one minute and forty five seconds or less for the first steep (a minute is perfect sometimes) with water at about 160.

How long and how hot you brew can dramatically change the taste of Japanese greens...like I mean too hot and too long can make some taste like swampwater! But if you find parameters that work for you, you may have a new obsession!

Have fun,
Dreamer

Mar 26th, '09, 21:35

by kymidwife » Mar 26th, '09, 21:35

I destroyed my first sencha, until Chip helped me work it out. Now I love it! Give us a report on your next efforts.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***