2%
11 or more
3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

Mar 26th, '09, 06:12

by rjiwrth » Mar 26th, '09, 06:12

Chip wrote:I think I achieved success with the above set. I brought water to a boil, took it off the heat and slowly placed the pieces into the pot of water. I was amazed at all the tiny air bubbles released by the Hagi. I left it in the water til it cooled somewhat and removed them, towel dried, then placed them near heat to dry.

I did this 3 times, and the pungent earthy aroma is undetectable right now. I am relieved.

I received this OniHagi Deishi kyusu yesterday. It took the vendor several weeks to find one I liked. He was very gracious, and I was surprised that he kept getting others to show me. Then I saw he sold out of all the pieces anyway. I am wondering if this topic has increased world wide demand for Hagi??? I am actually a little serious ... :shock:
Chip,
I would say "yes" to your question! I had never heard of hagi (I'm fairly new to the tea scene) until I came here and noticed this thread. I fell in love with hagi and ordered my first cup immediately and it arrived last week. I am continually looking for more in order to increase my collection. I would have found hagi eventually, but due to this thread, I found it much sooner than later. More time to buy hagi now :P

Rebecca

Mar 26th, '09, 11:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 26th, '09, 11:24

rjiwrth wrote: Chip,
I would say "yes" to your question! I had never heard of hagi (I'm fairly new to the tea scene) until I came here and noticed this thread. I fell in love with hagi and ordered my first cup immediately and it arrived last week. I am continually looking for more in order to increase my collection. I would have found hagi eventually, but due to this thread, I found it much sooner than later. More time to buy hagi now :P
Rebecca
:twisted: Well Rebecca, glad you love the Hagi! I am looking forward to see what you got!!! Please share with us. Thanks.

The newest family member from "MAGOKORODO"... it is a guinomi (sake cup) and is small, around 2.75" wide. I love the way it feels in the hand, the curves are perfect. It is by Yamane Seigan. I would say it is rather atypical for a Hagi but still endearing.

Mar 26th, '09, 12:20

by geeber1 » Mar 26th, '09, 12:20

rjiwrth wrote:Chip,

Rebecca
Rebecca, better hurry before Chip buys it all! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mar 26th, '09, 12:39
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 26th, '09, 12:39

My Korean hagis moment. This link is fun fun fun! Thanks Chip. :wink:

Mar 26th, '09, 12:40

by iannon » Mar 26th, '09, 12:40

geeber1 wrote:
rjiwrth wrote:Chip,

Rebecca
Rebecca, better hurry before Chip buys it all! :lol: :lol: :lol:
no kidding! I *finally* won a nice pair of matching deishi teacups ..should have them in a week or 2...Im sure Chip probably saw them...

Mar 26th, '09, 13:15

by Victoria » Mar 26th, '09, 13:15

iannon wrote: no kidding! I *finally* won a nice pair of matching deishi teacups ..should have them in a week or 2...Im sure Chip probably saw them...
Yeah I had to *fight* for my last auction too. Thanks to the Hagi frenzy Chip has created here. We're probably all bidding against each other!! :twisted:

Hummm maybe he bought stock.
TIM wrote:[img]
My Korean hagis moment. This link is fun fun fun! Thanks Chip. :wink:
Korean Hagi???? Huh?

Mar 26th, '09, 13:32

by iannon » Mar 26th, '09, 13:32

Victoria wrote:
iannon wrote: no kidding! I *finally* won a nice pair of matching deishi teacups ..should have them in a week or 2...Im sure Chip probably saw them...
Yeah I had to *fight* for my last auction too. Thanks to the Hagi frenzy Chip has created here. We're probably all bidding against each other!! :twisted:

yes..*I* for one want to see a complete "chip-hagi" family picture.. ok..minus the "chip" :wink:

Mar 26th, '09, 13:36

by Chip » Mar 26th, '09, 13:36

TIM wrote: My Korean hagis moment. This link is fun fun fun! Thanks Chip. :wink:
Very nice bowls Tim, any side shots?
iannon wrote:no kidding! I *finally* won a nice pair of matching deishi teacups ..should have them in a week or 2...Im sure Chip probably saw them...
I was watching those for comparison. Before this topic I scored a pair of straw glaze flaired cups matching those for 25.49. As you know, yours cost more. :evil:

But the cups are great, you will like them! I hope you post pics for us!
Victoria wrote:Thanks to the Hagi frenzy Chip has created here.
Thanks, I think. 8) It is great that there is more interest, but given the somewhat limited availablity of the Hagi ware, it does create more competition for what is available. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too in this case.

My name is Chip Deishi-Seigan ... 8)

Mar 26th, '09, 13:42

by iannon » Mar 26th, '09, 13:42

Chip wrote:
iannon wrote:no kidding! I *finally* won a nice pair of matching deishi teacups ..should have them in a week or 2...Im sure Chip probably saw them...
I was watching those for comparison. Before this topic I scored a pair of straw glaze flaired cups matching those for 25.49. As you know, yours cost more. :evil:

But the cups are great, you will like them! I hope you post pics for us!

My name is Chip Deishi-Seigan ... 8)
Grumble.. :evil: yeah i looked back at the seller history to see what a lot of stuff went for and gave myself a hard stopping price..BUT to be honest. comapring to some of the "retail" sites still not too bad plus I really dont mind paying a bit for the hard work of someone that does handmade art/craft :D

Mar 26th, '09, 13:43
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 26th, '09, 13:43

Victoria wrote: Korean Hagi???? Huh?
Victoria, Hagi tech. originated from Korea.

Mar 26th, '09, 13:52

by Victoria » Mar 26th, '09, 13:52

TIM wrote:
Victoria wrote: Korean Hagi???? Huh?
Victoria, Hagi tech. originated from Korea.
Oh yeah, I actually think I knew that.
Nice piece!

Mar 27th, '09, 10:27
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 27th, '09, 10:27

One of my favorite, use it almost daily. Develop a bright shine to it, which is very interesting.

Mar 27th, '09, 11:26

by Chip » Mar 27th, '09, 11:26

Wow, those are awesome, Tim!

I am going to Korea "town" near Philly soon and will be looking for the elusive Korean Hagi, I am not too optimistic however.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 27th, '09, 11:30

by Chip » Mar 27th, '09, 11:30

iannon wrote:Grumble.. :evil: yeah i looked back at the seller history to see what a lot of stuff went for and gave myself a hard stopping price..BUT to be honest. comapring to some of the "retail" sites still not too bad plus I really dont mind paying a bit for the hard work of someone that does handmade art/craft :D
+1.

Actually, you still got them below retail which is around 21 USD a piece. :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 27th, '09, 13:16
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 27th, '09, 13:16

Some interesting info....

History of Hagi ware :

Terumoto Mori crossed to the Korean Peninsula with Hideyoshi Toyotomi about 400 years ago.
Since Mr. Mori went back with Korean potter Li Sukkwang and Li Kyong's brother then, the history of Hagi ware starts.
Also when Mr. Mori moved a castle to a bushclover, potters accompanied Mr. Mori.
Then, Li Sukkwang was allowed to open the kiln which burns an Imperial article in Hagi.
This kiln turned into the first kiln that burns Hagi ware.
After Li Sukkwang's death, Li Kyong inherited kiln and received the name of "Saka-Koraizaemon" from the Lord of feudal domain.
The name of "Saka-Koraizaemon" is inherited still now.
The style of the original Hagi ware belonged to Yi dynasty.
Then, new styles, new glazes were developed, etc, such as raku ware, are taken in, and the present Hagi ware with original individuality came to be burned.

The feature of Hagi ware :

The softness of the ground and a water absorptivity are the big features of Hagi ware.
Since Hagi ware is burned with low fire power for a long time and the ground does not become tight firmly, the feel of works is soft and has moistness heavily.
Furthermore, since there is a water absorptivity in Hagi ware, while using for years, tea and alcohol permeate and the scene on the surface of a work changes.
Such growth is called "HAGI no NANA BAKE" (7 changes of Hagi).
Moreover, among masters of the tea ceremony, it is called "CHA-NARE" and treasured.
The form of a work, ornamental simplicity, etc. could be called feature of Hagi ware.
China-painting etc. is hardly performed in Hagi ware. On the other hand, the accidental effect by the peculiarity of kiln is expected from combination of the ground, glaze, spatula sculpture, etc.

+ Post Reply