Mar 26th, '09, 22:20
Scrolling: fixed

Steaming hot tea linked to cancer

by Intuit » Mar 26th, '09, 22:20

Steaming hot tea linked to cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7965380.stm

Apparently causes esophageal cancer due to physical damage.

Milk cools lea, avoiding this risk. Duh.

"Golestan Province in northern Iran has one of the highest rates of OSCC in the world, but rates of smoking and alcohol consumption are low and women are as likely to have a diagnosis as men."

Newsflash! Tea is the irritant, but it ain't the sole reason for abnormal cell division.

Look where it's at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golestan_Province

The whole freaking Caspian Sea coastline is heavily polluted, air and water! Heck they got areas where there is very poor quality potable water from open sewer septage running from towns into the sea, as well as oil and mining pollution in the area.

Note the ethnic population of Golestan, therein lies a clue or two.

If the epidemiologists would pop their heads out of their kesters, many noteworthy disease trends would suddenly make a lot more sense!

Mar 26th, '09, 23:50

by beachape » Mar 26th, '09, 23:50

I read that article too. Its a shame that tea gets a bad rap when some people just prefer to scald their throats. Not my favorite hobby

Mar 27th, '09, 00:09

by sp1key » Mar 27th, '09, 00:09

Thats the same as drinking soup or drinks that are too hot or almost boiling hot.

Chinese loves hot hot soup which is why throat cancer among them are more prevalent

Mar 27th, '09, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Mar 27th, '09, 20:52

hot enough liquids that cause a burn & damage to multiple cell layers in the esophageal wall.

a burn is a burn.

a burn that doesnt heal will turn to cancer. squamous cancer.

hot liquids are a cause of epithelial damage, repeated, and in time can lead to cancer.

Mar 27th, '09, 21:44

by CutieAgouti » Mar 27th, '09, 21:44

I'm just surprised that one can handle water that hot. If I drink something that's too hot, it's painful!! Something to keep an eye on I suppose

Mar 27th, '09, 22:09

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 27th, '09, 22:09

I wonder how many people gulp tea/coffee/water that hot anyway. When you sip hot liquid you atomize (not literally, think of atomizers on perfume bottles) it and cool it down dramatically-- thanks to its higher surface area : volume ratio-- before it reaches the other parts of your mouth.

Also, thanks to silverneedles for the explanation. Some people don't realize that physical stimulus-- not just chemicals-- can cause cancer. Whether it was intended or not, the title of the study/article is very misleading in this way.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 28th, '09, 10:30

by beecrofter » Mar 28th, '09, 10:30

Cancers are degenerative diseases of ageing, and just like your car it's not all highway miles, what we do ages us as much or more than the passage of time.

In your life to this point it is likely you have had dozens of cancers , but your immune system prevailed and you may never even have noticed their presence.

Mar 28th, '09, 16:40

by silverneedles » Mar 28th, '09, 16:40

cancer is not a degenerative disease of aging

it is a damaged cell's DNA (various causes: chemical, radiation, genetic errors etc), leading to uncontrolled cell division +/- invasion in neighboring or distant tissues.

damage to the DNA can occur at any time (and probably right now).
between the age of 5-24 years old, excluding injuries accidents homicide suicide, neoplasm is the next cause of death.

as you said most damaged cells will be removed by the immune system taking out a potential source of cancer.

Mar 28th, '09, 23:02

by sp1key » Mar 28th, '09, 23:02

CutieAgouti wrote:I'm just surprised that one can handle water that hot. If I drink something that's too hot, it's painful!! Something to keep an eye on I suppose
some ppl have suprisingly high treshold of pain :twisted:

Mar 29th, '09, 00:12

by CutieAgouti » Mar 29th, '09, 00:12

Gah! Internal burning of the throat? I have a high threshold for some types of pain but not for that. Oh well, whatever floats your boat!! :wink:

Mar 29th, '09, 00:44

by sp1key » Mar 29th, '09, 00:44

CutieAgouti wrote:Gah! Internal burning of the throat? I have a high threshold for some types of pain but not for that. Oh well, whatever floats your boat!! :wink:
hahaa anyhow getting your tongue burnt from boiling hot tea would spoil the whole tea session

+ Post Reply