Would you? or do you?

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Would you? or do you?

Postby teachaite » Apr 2nd, '09, 09:58

I plan on opening a tea shop in the near future. I decided that I would not serve coffee. Everyone I have told this to thinks it is poor idea though.
I drink coffee, I love coffee. However I am tired of coffee shops that shaft on the tea...I want a place that only serves tea, if you want coffee go down the street.

Do you serve coffee at your tea house? or would you serve coffee?
Thoughts?
teachaite

Postby Chip » Apr 2nd, '09, 10:59

Anytime I go into a coffee shop, that is what I smell. If I order tea, I smell coffee that is all around me, the roast is everywhere. It is not enjoyable to drink tea, especially a good tea. Under these conditions, the subtle nuances of the tea are lost.

I think the roast aroma even gets into the tea leaves.

It is a tough business call to make since there are many more coffee drinkers than tea drinkers. But there is clearly room for tea only shops. And, they are forcasting continued growth in tea sales! Boston is a big market, seems like it could be doable if you do the research.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby tsverrir » Apr 2nd, '09, 11:03

You have to take into account that friends of tea drinkers might be coffee drinkers.
I would serve coffee in a French press , but not use those noisy espresso / cappuccino machines to ensure that the atmosphere is calm.
[edit]
I agree with Chip. You would of course have to take extra measures to minimize the coffee smell and keep it away from the tea.
tsverrir

Postby gingkoseto » Apr 2nd, '09, 13:34

I don't have a tea shop, would love to have one in far future, but not sure how to deal with dish washing (I always think of the hardest part first :lol: )

If you are in Boston, probably either way is ok. But I would suppose a larger city like NYC can support a tea-only shop better. In rural area, I guess it would be extremely hard to run a tea-only shop.

In my area, the ok tea I've had out of home so far is from a restaurant. I personlly would rather have tea in a coffee shop than in a restaurant. If I open a tea shop, I would love to include coffee too, because I really love coffee. I would ban cell phone in my shop first, but keep the coffee and noisy coffee machine :D
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby teachaite » Apr 2nd, '09, 23:01

Thanks for all the feedback!
teachaite

Postby entropyembrace » Apr 3rd, '09, 00:50

Edmonton is a small city and I know we have a few tea-only shops here that are usually quite busy too!

If you're going to have coffee make it cheap supermarket brand instant coffee....on par with coffee shop tea! :lol: :lol: :lol:
entropyembrace

Postby teachaite » Apr 3rd, '09, 09:19

entropyembrace wrote:Edmonton is a small city and I know we have a few tea-only shops here that are usually quite busy too!

If you're going to have coffee make it cheap supermarket brand instant coffee....on par with coffee shop tea! :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha good idea!!
teachaite

Instant Messenger

Permissions