Lipton premium

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 25th, '06, 17:54

Lipton premium

by Carnelian » May 25th, '06, 17:54

Well its official, Lipton has started making pyramid bags. They have six flavors right now. I just saw some of them at Target for $3.50 for 20 bags so they look reasonably priced.

Has anyone tried these yet? I want to know if they're even worth my attention or if I should just brush them off like ordinary lipton
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

May 25th, '06, 18:35

by rabbit » May 25th, '06, 18:35

Lipton is my secret... I get people to drink lipton when they are too lazy to make loose leaf tea, that introduces them to tea, one day I make them loose leaf and they are like "Whoa! this is way better than lipton!" and they are hooked :)
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

May 25th, '06, 18:42

by jogrebe » May 25th, '06, 18:42

They might be worth a try. I remember hearing from someone that Lipton loose tea is a lot better and it was their favorite type of tea that they kept on going back to after trying other things. Still I wouldn't expect it to be able to hold ground with most of the teas that Adagio sells.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 25th, '06, 19:58

by rabbit » May 25th, '06, 19:58

You gotta give credit to Mr. Lipton, if you get the Upton Quarterly and have been following the article on him, he was quite an inspiring fellow.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

May 25th, '06, 22:53

by Carnelian » May 25th, '06, 22:53

Yeah, I get the upton quarterly and read that article.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

May 26th, '06, 09:55

by Richard » May 26th, '06, 09:55

I had one of their white teas in the pyramid bag. It disturbed me greatly because the water turned tea-colored almost immediately. White tea should take a long time and the color should be light if anything!

The taste wasn't bad--it was a white mango kind, but nothing to write home about. Certainly Adagio's teas are better, but you all knew that.

Jul 10th, '06, 17:13

by auroramu330 » Jul 10th, '06, 17:13

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me, I wouldn't get too excited, though I can understand the appeal of being able to grab a decent tea while doing your regular shopping (wish we had a decent tea store around here, I always run out of something before my next order comes, and whole foods is so overpriced).

It just seems to me that a lot of american companies are doing this, with more and more americans getting over the whole processed convenience food craze of the last 50 years and finally paying attention to quality. Unfortunately most companies care more about the bottom line than quality, and based on past experience it wouldn't surprise me if this is the same lipton tea of the last fifty years just in a fancier bag.

If you do pick some up, tear open a bag and take a close look at the tea. That should give you a fair idea of the quality right away.

Jul 10th, '06, 18:00

by Carnelian » Jul 10th, '06, 18:00

Actually on a similar subject; I recently noticed in my local supermarket a half pound box of loose leaf tea, from lipton. Its a generic loose black tea thats less than five buck for a half pound. I bought it, more as a novelty than a drink and I'm not overly excited on the idea of using it yet.

Jul 10th, '06, 20:20

by studio271 » Jul 10th, '06, 20:20

Actually on a similar subject; I recently noticed in my local supermarket a half pound box of loose leaf tea, from lipton. Its a generic loose black tea thats less than five buck for a half pound. I bought it, more as a novelty than a drink and I'm not overly excited on the idea of using it yet.
I use it as fertilizer for my plants. :P

Jul 10th, '06, 20:37

by jogrebe » Jul 10th, '06, 20:37

studio271 wrote:
I use it as fertilizer for my plants. :P
Why not just save your used tea leaves and use those to fertilize your plants.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jul 10th, '06, 21:10

by studio271 » Jul 10th, '06, 21:10

Why not just save your used tea leaves and use those to fertilize your plants.
Actually I do. :D
...but I bought some of that same lipton stuff, and I found that was the only way to use it positively. Serviously, the stuff is like 1mm grapenuts.

Aug 28th, '06, 01:32

by connsmythe96 » Aug 28th, '06, 01:32

The Black Pearl isn't bad. It's Lipton's standard orange pekoe tea, but it has more flavor than their regular bags.

Aug 28th, '06, 09:51

by Madam Potts » Aug 28th, '06, 09:51

The real question is whether or not countless restaurants and diners that use Lipton as their standard "tea" will switch to the Lipton Premium. As it's more expensive, I doubt this will happen.
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

Aug 28th, '06, 15:15

Bavarian Wild Berry Tea is Quite Good

by jbaynard » Aug 28th, '06, 15:15

I'm not usually a big Lipton fan (unless it's the only option over Nestea =P' ). I've tried their box of loose tea and I agree that its value as fertilizer may be more than its being a quality tea. These tea pyramids however seem to be of a different grade then their other teas (also unlike their other teas they are made in Belgium and it's the only tea you can't buy it from their online store, which leads me to believe they may be repackaging someone else's tea). The Black Pearl seems to be a blend (probably to suit American tastes) of Indian and Ceylon style teas. The Bavarian Wild Berry Tea is top notch and comparable to Adagio's Blackberry Tea, with say a touch of berry blast. It makes an excellent iced tea.

All that being said. It's great that I can finally buy a tea that I really enjoy at the grocery store. However the $3 +-50cent price is not as cheap as it seems, as the box with 20 pyramids is only 1.5oz so buying 4+ oz from Adagio is still a better deal.
Jesse Baynard
Tampa Web Design

Nov 27th, '06, 21:58

by AppleJuice » Nov 27th, '06, 21:58

Although I'm a big fan of loose leaf teas...I strongly
suggest trying the lipton pyramid black tea. it's suprisingly
very good. Excellent in my book. I drink it when I don't
want to drink my more expensive loose leaf teas.
a great bagged tea...I applaud lipton for this one.

+ Post Reply