Trip to India

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

May 21st, '06, 16:07

Trip to India

by feralBoy » May 21st, '06, 16:07

In about 6 weeks i'm going to india for 2 weeks. Anybody have any tea purchasing advice? I normally drink Yunnan Gold, and pouchong, so i'm not too well versed in indian tea. I'm pretty excited from a tea perspective. Should be fun.

As a side note, I read something in a guide book that I thought you guys would like. According to legend, Buddha fell asleep during meditation. As penance, he cut off his eyelids. His eyelids then grew into tea the tea plant, which, when brewed, banishes sleep. Pretty cool.

- John

May 21st, '06, 17:16

by rabbit » May 21st, '06, 17:16

The story is actualy a Japanese one of a missionary monk named Daruma who brought buddhism to India, China, and Japan.

Supposedly he fell asleep a few months into his attempted 9-year meditation, upon awakening he was so upset with himself that he cut off his "lazy eyelids" and threw them on the ground, According to the legend, the first tea plant grew where he'd thrown the eye lids, providing him with a drink to keep him awake during the remaining portion of his meditation :)

Remember if you get "chai", get "masala chai", because what us westerners refer to as chai is- in India- just tea, but masala chai is the spiced tea that we refer to as chai.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

May 21st, '06, 19:12

by peachaddict » May 21st, '06, 19:12

rabbit wrote:The story is actualy a Japanese one of a missionary monk named Daruma who brought buddhism to India, China, and Japan.
Ah, you know about the bohdidaruma! I'd be interested in knowing more. If you want, you can PM or email me.
"Oh, those are my subconscious thoughts. I shouldn't listen too hard if I were you. I'm not all that proud of some of them." - Doctor Who

May 22nd, '06, 10:53

by feralBoy » May 22nd, '06, 10:53

Thanks for the correction about the eye lid story. I will be sure to send lonely planet a very nasty letter.

I have a bunch of indian friends, so i'm very lucky because they always make me masala chai. It's a little milky and sweet for a daily drinker, but it's good once in a while, especially with fresh ginger.

I will have two indian guides (friends) coming with me, but so far the only advice they have given me, is not don't drink the chai on the trains. Unless of course I want to become very well aquainted with the toilet (read "hole") on the train, which supposedly is not a very pleasant experience. Nice.

May 27th, '06, 00:52

by MarshalN » May 27th, '06, 00:52

Actually, Daruma only went as far as to China. Japanese went to China to get Buddhism, through Korea.

Do not drink any tea, chai, or whatever on the street. You'll regret it. In fact, don't drink any water that you don't trust.

As for tea -- how about darjeeling? The only decent Indian tea, IMHO

May 27th, '06, 23:24

by Darth Jeeling » May 27th, '06, 23:24

I fell duty-bound to second the praise for darjeeling, considering my name. :)
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

Jun 15th, '06, 13:36

Re: Trip to India

by acehigh » Jun 15th, '06, 13:36

feralBoy wrote:In about 6 weeks i'm going to india for 2 weeks. Anybody have any tea purchasing advice? I normally drink Yunnan Gold, and pouchong, so i'm not too well versed in indian tea. I'm pretty excited from a tea perspective. Should be fun.

As a side note, I read something in a guide book that I thought you guys would like. According to legend, Buddha fell asleep during meditation. As penance, he cut off his eyelids. His eyelids then grew into tea the tea plant, which, when brewed, banishes sleep. Pretty cool.

- John
Like most things in India the best tea is exported out. You might get lucky, but do you plan to go to where they grow tea.

The Herbal teas are good, can get them in Ayurvedic type store. I brought some green tea I will try soon (but it was about $1 for 100 Grams, so not sure how good it can be but might be good) Brand is Kho-Cha Pure Darjeeling Green tea "as fresh as morning dew"

Have fun on your trip. What parts are you going to?

Jun 19th, '06, 23:09

by Rash » Jun 19th, '06, 23:09

Hiya John...

Its gr88 to hear that you will soon be travelling to one of the most beautiful countries in the wrld... the people are warm n friendly, and the food is scrumptious.... though I must say I might be a bit biased out here... coz I happen to be from sumwhere around there.. well ok...exactly there... I am a pure Indian breed- from Mumbai, India.

well as far as the tea buying advice goes... Just be sure to know what u r asking for.. Indians call tea as Chai... and I am sure u must be gearing up to buy a bit of Masala Chai, which is mentioned in the guide book u've read...so u must know that it is made out of cinnamon, clove, peppercorns, milk and sugar, and tea-of coz... I must tell you that it is really delicious.... u shd definitely not miss it. U might also want to look out for some of our famous authentic darjeeling tea, which is Black tea with a strong , malty taste..

Have a good trip pal...
Give a BEAR hug to India when u get there... She will know who its from!

- a homesick RASH

+ Post Reply