Blending Types of Teas

Discuss some of the favorite customer-created Signature Blends.

Apr 5th, '09, 16:00

Blending Types of Teas

by Anelezel » Apr 5th, '09, 16:00

This may be a really obvious question but I'm curious to what types of teas blend well together, or what types you probably shouldn't try blending.

Like for example, do greens and blacks blend together well? I know there's differing steep temperatures between teas, should I stick to blending teas that have the same steep time?

I know I could go to town on all my samples and see what I get, but I don't want to waste them and end up with a bunch of yuck tea :)

Thanks for the help!

Apr 5th, '09, 18:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Apr 5th, '09, 18:06

You have already identified a significant problem, not only steep time but temperature.

Perhaps you could experiment blending a couple in the cup.

Choose 2 teas and brew them in small pots with water at same temperature, and same steeping time. Then pour a little of each into a cup - stir and taste.

First you have to identify teas that you can brew with the same parameters.

You can then experiment with proportions half and half, a third to two thirds etc

If you find a combination you like the last part is to combine the dry leaf and brew in one pot!
Best wishes from Cheshire

Apr 6th, '09, 12:02

by jazz88 » Apr 6th, '09, 12:02

Im not an expert so I'm pretty conservative when it comes to blending – I do not mix green and black tea. I see blending as a musical chord where one note is the dominant and the others "support" it or make more harmonically complex. That was "deep", hehe :roll:
Anyway, have fun! That would be the point, right?

Apr 13th, '09, 13:13

by silvermage2000 » Apr 13th, '09, 13:13

That is some good advice. I just made a blend under Ashley Lutz please check it out.

+ Post Reply