Which Green Tea Is Considered The Healthiest?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 26th, '06, 10:13

Which Green Tea Is Considered The Healthiest?

by jsmem » May 26th, '06, 10:13

Does anyone know which green tea is considered the healthiest in terms of EGCG/Antioxidants/catechins? I assume that it is one of the Japanese green teas but I am not sure. And if it is a Japanese green tea then which one. Haven't been able to find a clear answer on this subject.

May 26th, '06, 10:22

by Richard » May 26th, '06, 10:22

All the research that I've looked at--and, trust me, I've done a lot of research--seems to suggest that all tea is equally healthy. There are indeed differences between the levels of antioxidants between Green and Black teas and things like that, but from what I gather the differences aren't significant. And all green teas are similarly processed, so they're going to have similar amounts of antioxidants and things. The advice I generally give is, drink what you like best. Which works out well for me, since I'm not that much of a green tea fan. (I'm getting better with it, but I had a bad Kukicha experience once that I still haven't recovered from.)

May 27th, '06, 09:37

by HJK » May 27th, '06, 09:37

I'm not sure if any green tea has more anti-oxidants per leaf, but if your primary concern is the health benefits of green tea, I'd suggest you check out Matcha--a Japanese green tea.

Matcha is supposed to have much more anti-oxidant strength then anyting else simply due to the way it is prepared. Matcha tea leaves have been ground up into a powder, and you add boiling water to it. It is very healthy because you basically are ingesting the entire leaf. You get all the anti-oxidants in the leaf, water soluble and insoluble.

Matcha is the green tea used in Japanese tea ceremonies.

Unfortunately it is more expensive.

May 27th, '06, 13:12

by Tea Guy » May 27th, '06, 13:12

If you're sensitive to caffeine, as I am, remember that matcha is said to pack quite a kick in that area. Of course, many people will consider that a plus.

Thanks,
Bill

Tea Guy Speaks
http://wileng.blogspot.com/

May 27th, '06, 13:31

by TeaFanatic » May 27th, '06, 13:31

Also another alternative (if you like the taste) is sencha. Sencha, I believe, iis much higher in vitamin C content. Although antioxidant levels are similar to all other green teas. Just another suggestion.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

May 27th, '06, 23:18

by Darth Jeeling » May 27th, '06, 23:18

Of course, I believe red wine and dark chocolate are both quite high in antioxidants, so I say go for taste. Never been much for drinking stuff because it's healthy.
' '...why this pain? If it would only cease just for a moment!' and he moaned. Peter turned towards him. 'It's all right. Go and fetch me some tea.' '

-The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy

May 30th, '06, 10:50

by klemptor » May 30th, '06, 10:50

Richard wrote:(I'm getting better with it, but I had a bad Kukicha experience once that I still haven't recovered from.)
Blasphemy!
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

May 30th, '06, 11:29

by Richard » May 30th, '06, 11:29

I dunno. It smelled and tasted kind of eggy. I don't know if I did anything wrong, or if that's how it's supposed to be.

May 30th, '06, 12:36

by klemptor » May 30th, '06, 12:36

Eggy? Gross. In that case, you're entitled to blaspheme.

I've never had kukicha that tasted eggy.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

May 30th, '06, 12:40

by Richard » May 30th, '06, 12:40

I don't know what the problem was--it might have something to do with the way I prepared it. I don't like vegital tasting teas as it is, really, so that's part of it as well.

Jun 21st, '06, 08:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jun 21st, '06, 08:44

I was told by my local tea shop owner that wild green tea was healthier - the only ones I've tried are wild ku ding and wild monkey king - although I have no evidence to back this up. Wild ku-ding is beautiful, definitely tastes medicinal although the taste is not for everyone

The only other thing I'd add is the fresher the tea the better, as with anything alse you start losing vitamins the longer it is stored. And the higher the grade of tea the better it is likely to be for you, I think.

+ Post Reply