What to put in White Tea?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Jun 8th, '05, 19:07
Mod/Admin

What to put in White Tea?

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 19:07

hello..i posted before on the green tea forum but i have been reading about white tea and it seems to have the greatest health benefits so im getting some..would adding milk or sugar take away from or fuse to the antioxidents and make it less potent?

Ryan

Mod/Admin

That is an interesting question. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. Personally, I would say that adding processed, white sugar is not doing yourself any favors. If you add anything, a good organic honey is probably the best -- from a health standpoint.

Lumay

Mod/Admin

Previously I have read that adding a little milk is okay, but don't overdo it. I always put milk and sugar in my tea. I drink tea the way I like it because I like it. The health benefits are just an added plus. Below is from a web page.

More seriously, research has recently focused on whether adding milk to tea reduces its potent antioxidant activities. A Dutch study has shown no apparent difference, contradicting a previous study that appeared to show some diminishing of antioxidant activity when milk was added. The debate continues (Eur J Clin Nutr 2000;54:87-92 and 1996;50:28-32).

Lu Prescott

Jun 8th, '05, 19:08
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 8th, '05, 19:08

I have been drinking white tea for a while but its suddenly starting to make me vomit. why is this? has anyone else found this? im not pregnant and my health is fine so i dont know why the tea is making this happen. It is definatly the tea without a doubt.

Elizabeth Moore

Mod/Admin

Elizabeth--

Out of curiousity, what brand/variety of white tea are you drinking?

What kind of water are you using (tap, distilled, spring, etc)?

Looking forward,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Mod/Admin

I get messed up if I drink a lot of tea, especially on an empty stomach. But hey, they serve by the pot and I can't stop myself.

Evan Draper

Jun 15th, '05, 04:25

by Guest » Jun 15th, '05, 04:25

I think the taste of honey is REALLY strong for a white tea or even a green for that matter. It can even darken the wonderful light color of those teas as well.

If you must sweeten your tea, I'd go with Sugar. If it has to be honey use the lightest color possible (they are less sweet) and since honey is technically a varietal be mindful when matching honeys with teas.

If you really want the best honey in the world.

http://www.marshallshoney.com/

Jun 15th, '05, 13:56

WHITE TEA

by Jose » Jun 15th, '05, 13:56

I DO NOT STEEP MY WHITE TEA TOO LONG IN THE CUP BEFORE DRINKING IT; I ALSO MAKE SURE MY CUP OR TEAPOT HAS BEEN WARMED BEFORE POURING THE TEA LEAVES AND WATER INTO IT TO STEEP.

NATURAL SUGAR IS GOOD IN THE WHITE TEA OR A DROP OF HONEY.
JUST A NOTE...I AM LEGALLY BLIND AND USE CAPITAL LETTERS ON OCCASIONS FOR VISUAL PURPOSES - THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS.

Dec 2nd, '05, 04:06

by brispet1 » Dec 2nd, '05, 04:06

I find that black teas make me sick on an empty stomach, but whites, greens. oolongs don't. Earl Gray on an empty stomach will always make me vomit. I find any sweetener ruins the subtle taste of whites for me but I have weak taste buds I think, darker oolongs I like a little sugar with, and I always drink blacks with honey and a drop of cream, I guess what I'm getting at is I try tea every way to find what I like the most and don't let "tea snobs" tell me how I should enjoy it. That being said I always try tea straight first then experiment.

Dec 6th, '05, 23:15

by JamesBeach » Dec 6th, '05, 23:15

It's amazing to me that any tea can make a person vomit, empty stomach or not. This must be a phenomenon isolated to bodies with sensitive stomachs -- or rather, very sensitive stomachs. But perhaps I'm not the right person to consider it. I have a stomach of steel and never get a sour feeling except from eating too much of something that's rich, thus I've only vomited twice in my life. Yeah, it's amazing and I'm thankful.

Still, tea-induced vomiting would never even occur to me as plausible. I will have to be more careful when serving guests any tea. A note of forewarning may be in order.

Jan 5th, '06, 17:59

vomiting from green tea

by jowish » Jan 5th, '06, 17:59

I throw up almost everytime i drink green tea. Its actually more of a dry heave then actually throwing up all the green tea. I do not have a sensitive stomach. I want to drink it because it helps my diet but Im not sure what to do.

Jan 6th, '06, 13:14

by chris » Jan 6th, '06, 13:14

Jowish--

Thanks for the post.

Just need to gather a little background before we get goin':

A. Do other teas have the same effect?
B. Are you sure it is green tea - and not somthing like ipecac - you're steeping?
C. Is this a serious post? I've been so out of the TeaChat loop lately (thanks for picking up my slack, all!) that I've forgotten what humor is.
D. Could you please post in the correct folder next time (this is a green tea question in the white tea section)?

Thanks,

Chriswish
Adagio Maestro

Jan 10th, '06, 10:11

by FoxC » Jan 10th, '06, 10:11

I have a really strong stomach, but I noticed the same thing with Green Tea. I drink a *lot* of green tea, but recently I started to get nauseated when I drank it. I switched to a better quality more expensive brand and it's totally gone away. If I happen to be out and get green tea somewhere cheap, I feel gross again.

White tea is my favourite! I love it! And I don't put anything in it as I think it takes away from the deliciousness of the tea. But I can understand someone who doesn't particularly like white tea trying to jazz it up.

Sometimes I brew a pot of tea with one white tea bag and one fruity herbal tea. They compliment each other really well and makes the tea delicious and refreshing.

Feb 5th, '06, 11:10

getting nauseous from tea

by lakewaves222 » Feb 5th, '06, 11:10

I know a couple of people that the same thing happens to them . I just wonder , and I know the teas that my two friends drank , were not organic in source. Maybe due to some pesticide or some chemical they use on non certified organic teas. I know nothing of their spraying or chemical application programs to give further detail . But that could be possible???? just john

Feb 14th, '06, 00:00

by Warden Andy » Feb 14th, '06, 00:00

White tea is by far my favorite tea. Of all teas, white tea goes the best without sugar and milk (I'm surprised someone even thought of adding milk to white tea). Even the thought of adding milk and sugar to white tea makes me sick. It's already naturally sweet, and has almost no astringency.

+ Post Reply