Yerba: a question for the yerba mate lovers

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

May 12th, '06, 03:58

Yerba: a question for the yerba mate lovers

by sippy cup » May 12th, '06, 03:58

i'm really interested in yerba mate, but so far all i've tried are a couple of flavored blends from teavana--"mate lemon blast" and "mate vana." i tried those first because i heard mate could be a little lacking in the flavor department, but i think i might like to try some plain and mix mint or something in on my own to taste.

anybody have suggestions for where i could find the best yerba mate online, or how you prefer to drink it?

May 12th, '06, 16:17

by Warden Andy » May 12th, '06, 16:17

Yerba mate is definately not lacking in flavor, it's just that Americans don't like the flavor. It is an acquired taste for most people. If you don't like it at first, try it with honey. I didn't like it untill I tried it with honey, and I ended up just drinking it without anything added.
Super elite tea facist....

May 13th, '06, 13:36

try here

by richf7 » May 13th, '06, 13:36

I work at a coffee/ tea shop and we use the Yerba from EcoTeas http://www.yerbamate.com/ . I drink it all the time sans flavorings and think it is great. It is a bit of an acquired taste. I would first make sure you have a good bombilla. A bad one will let leaves through and is no fun. For folks who come in to the shop who want to try it but need something, we suggest just a little honey or a tiny bit of raw sugar. Also, until you really grow to love the taste, don't let it over steep. I hope that helps.

R
"Teaism is a cult founded on the adoration of the beautiful among the sordid facts of everyday existence."- K. Okakura

May 17th, '06, 10:55

by Tea Guy » May 17th, '06, 10:55

This article at my site contains links to various yerba merchants and their tips on how to brew yerba.

Bill

May 19th, '06, 02:07

by sippy cup » May 19th, '06, 02:07

thanks all! i decided to take the plunge and buy some plain yerba mate. i like pu erh and unsweetened teas, so i don't know why i was so intimidated by mainstream assessments of the taste. it can't be less palatable than black drip coffee, after all, and i drink that. don't have enough money to buy a gourd and bombilla just yet, though, but i'm sure i'll be after one soon. i'm almost as addicted to teaware as i am to tea...

Oct 30th, '07, 04:25

by BeardedWoof » Oct 30th, '07, 04:25

I enjoy both green yerba mate plain and I enjoy roasted yerba mate plain as well.

I'll also add soy milk or half and half and honey to both.

It sounds nasty but mixing mate with lemonade tastes good too!

Dec 23rd, '07, 15:28
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Dec 23rd, '07, 15:28

I drink mine in a traditional way: gourd and bombilla.

I don't add anything extra, although doing so seems like a fine idea.

However, when I first cured my gourd, I cured it with a premium tequila. More on that in this blog entry of mine.

Feb 28th, '08, 13:56

yerba mate

by Phathom » Feb 28th, '08, 13:56

I have custom tea filters that I purchased called "mini minit" - they are made right here in Canada (miniminit dot com). Ideally one tbsp of mate into a filter (which has a stick to keep tea above the water line), and a nice cup is brewed after longer than usual duration, about 15 minutes. The left over tea and filter are easily composted. I find ma-tea dot com to be very reasonable, they offer 'mate directly from Argentina at roughly $5 for 1kg.

Feb 6th, '09, 00:58

Re: yerba mate

by RockingtheRepublic » Feb 6th, '09, 00:58

Phathom wrote:I have custom tea filters that I purchased called "mini minit" - they are made right here in Canada (miniminit dot com). Ideally one tbsp of mate into a filter (which has a stick to keep tea above the water line), and a nice cup is brewed after longer than usual duration, about 15 minutes. The left over tea and filter are easily composted. I find ma-tea dot com to be very reasonable, they offer 'mate directly from Argentina at roughly $5 for 1kg.
Thanks!!!! That site is cheaper than another one I was looking at before.
Remember... Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Find me on Twitter @ RockingRepublic

Feb 6th, '09, 14:25

by silvermage2000 » Feb 6th, '09, 14:25

You should mabe consider the yerba mates from specialteas.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

Apr 22nd, '09, 19:36

by awaltzingreen » Apr 22nd, '09, 19:36

I bought some EcoTea Yerba Mate from a natural food store about a year ago and just recently finished the big bag. It's great hot steeped with chai spice and finished with some soymilk, or (my favorite!!) steeped cold with some fresh mint leaves and a touch of agave nectar over ice...Ahhh so good!!

I have bought the MateVana tea from Teavana before..It's got a sweet taste if you add something too it (not super strong on its own), but the other flavorings added to it kinda mask the true yerba mate flavor.

Nov 29th, '09, 22:34

Re: Yerba: a question for the yerba mate lovers

by misssilvie » Nov 29th, '09, 22:34

Serena Canarias is a pretty great mate and at 10 bucks a kilo it's even better!

+ Post Reply