Assam... Undecided

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Apr 24th, '09, 23:45

Assam... Undecided

by Dresden » Apr 24th, '09, 23:45

Well... I just tried my first brew of Assam Melody and I just don't know.

When I taste it I initially get a heavy taste at the back of my tongue. Maybe earthy? mushroomy? I dunno how to describe it. After the initial bite it lightens up a bit on the finish.

Is that what an assam is supposed to taste like?

Not sure how much of a fan I am when it comes to the earthy taste.

I dunno about this one. Maybe something went wrong in the brewing. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea?

Thoughts?
Mike

Apr 25th, '09, 00:19

by woozl » Apr 25th, '09, 00:19

Assam can be heavy or sappy. Not my cuppa but lotz like 'er.
some take it with milk as this mellows the bite. (Intuit)??
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Apr 25th, '09, 00:59

by kymidwife » Apr 25th, '09, 00:59

+1 to the earlier suggestion to put away teas you're not crazy about right now, and try them again in 3 to 6 months. Your palate may perceive them differently after some time and experience with tasting variouos teas.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Apr 25th, '09, 03:05

by entropyembrace » Apr 25th, '09, 03:05

I've never been a fan of Assam teas because of that aftertaste that seems to be characteristic of them I think it might be a property of the Camellia sinensis var. assamica subspecies...

Apr 25th, '09, 11:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Assam decided!

by Chip » Apr 25th, '09, 11:01

I am not a fan of Assam, the "malty" flavor. I have truly tried it many times. Just not my cuppa tea. So, this means more for all you Assam lovers. :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 25th, '09, 11:15

by Janine » Apr 25th, '09, 11:15

My doctor tells me he drinks religiously a single estate Assam with milk as his drink of choice. So, I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Any recommendations?

Apr 25th, '09, 14:05

by CutieAgouti » Apr 25th, '09, 14:05

I felt the same way about Assam when I first tried it a month ago. Recently I tried it again and liked it much better this time around. Although there are some teas that will never grow on you I suppose

Apr 25th, '09, 15:58

by Dreamer » Apr 25th, '09, 15:58

Hi there,

The best Assam I've had so far has been from teabags that my tea-buddy at work bought from a local shop. She brews it long and strong (one teabag in a small coffee maker, 24oz, brewed for like 10 minutes). It comes out really dark and malty (although I couldn't name that flavor until I read it here) and it is awesome sweetened and with milk. I have the feeling that a good loose leaf assam brewed well would give all that good flavor with no bitterness and be great either "neat" or with just a bit of sweet and milk.

I've tried another couple of assams (samples) and enjoyed them, but I've not found that good malty flavor from them yet. I need to try more leaf, longer brew, etc, but I run out of the sample before I get there! I need to go ahead and order what looks like a good Assam in a quantity large enough to play with.

I think the perfect Assam would be a great tea for when you want to feel richly cared for!

Mmmmm,
Dreamer

Apr 25th, '09, 17:43

Re: Assam decided!

by auggy » Apr 25th, '09, 17:43

Chip wrote:I am not a fan of Assam, the "malty" flavor. I have truly tried it many times. Just not my cuppa tea. So, this means more for all you Assam lovers. :D
Same here. I've given it a few shots just it's just not for me. More for everyone else! :)

Apr 26th, '09, 12:22

by Beidao » Apr 26th, '09, 12:22

I love high-quality Assam, but I am afraid that they are a bit hard to find sometimes =/ I can recommend Assam from Pengaree and Joonktollee. The Joonktollee I have at home now is one of the best teas I have ever been drinking, very mellow while it still have the Assam heaviness. I find that the Assam teas I like are malty but also taste of raisin/grape/vine. Some Nilgiri can taste almost the same, for example a Craigmore Nilgiri I have at home right now.

I am crazy about good Assam! But I know that some people really can't like it, sadly.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Apr 26th, '09, 13:01

by Janine » Apr 26th, '09, 13:01

Thank you for the recommendation.

Apr 28th, '09, 13:04
Scrolling: fixed

Part subspecies, part processing.

by Intuit » Apr 28th, '09, 13:04

Agreed that the sulfur amino acids released during processing (fermentation and pan or oven firing) are associated with genetic traits and soil nutrients of Indian subspecies varieties grown in Assam and Nilgiri Hills that impart a malty undertone to brewed black teas.

May 3rd, '09, 10:22

by silvermage2000 » May 3rd, '09, 10:22

I really agree that assam is not my cup of tea yet although I have not drank alot.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

May 3rd, '09, 16:54

by joelbct » May 3rd, '09, 16:54

Beidao wrote:I love high-quality Assam, but I am afraid that they are a bit hard to find sometimes =/ I can recommend Assam from Pengaree and Joonktollee.
Haven't had those estates, from where do you order them? Meleng and Mangalam are my favorites...

Nothing like a good tippy Assam....

May 4th, '09, 05:41

by Beidao » May 4th, '09, 05:41

My Pengaree Assam I've ordered from Chaikhana, a Swedish shop with English page and worldwide delivery. They also have Sessa Imperial Silver Tips that I haven't tasted (yet!) Their Pengaree says 0,00 Swedish kronor as a price now, so something is wrong, but they say it's in stock.

My Joonktollee I buy from Stockholm Tea Centre, another Swedish shop that delivers worldwide and have an English site.

I have a sample caddy of Mangalam Assam at home right now and look forward to trying it.

+ Post Reply