new tea lover

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 10th, '06, 00:53

new tea lover

by macatea » Jun 10th, '06, 00:53

Hello, I recently got into tea and had a quick question for all of you connesieurs of tea. What kind of water do you use? I have been experimenting with cold tap water and cold water that's been filtered with a brita water pitcher. They seem to taste the same, just wondering if you had any insight. Thanks all.

Jun 10th, '06, 01:29

by jogrebe » Jun 10th, '06, 01:29

I used to use tap water but then I started using filtered water through the door of the refrigerator and noticed a big difference. For convenience reasons I refill a gallon jug and keep it by my electric kettle which on average lasts me for around a day of tea drinking.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jun 12th, '06, 09:16

by klemptor » Jun 12th, '06, 09:16

I use bottled water.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Jun 12th, '06, 15:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 12th, '06, 15:33

Tap water if it is municipal can contain chemicals that may alter the flavor of tea...I use my well water which is great, has some minerals in it. If I am away, I try to use either purified or spring water.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 13th, '06, 17:30

by teaspoon » Jun 13th, '06, 17:30

At home I use tap water, but at college I used a Brita pitcher because the campus water tastes NASTY.

I'd say that if your tap water tastes the same straight from the tap as it does thru the pitcher, go ahead and skip the brita step. But that's just me.

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jun 13th, '06, 19:14

by TeaFanatic » Jun 13th, '06, 19:14

If you are willing to pay for it, then spring water with minerals is probably the best way to go. I personally just graduated from high school so I don't have money to pay for water, so I use my fridge filter which works pretty well and makes good tasting tea. You could even filter your water twice (once with a tap filter and once with a pitcher filter).

You can make good tea with almost any water, in my opinion.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Jun 13th, '06, 23:50

water for tea

by macatea » Jun 13th, '06, 23:50

Thanks for all your replies. I think I remember reading on the internet that water with minerals is ideal, but since I recently bought a Brita Filter, I've been using that with good results.

I've also read that the water should be aerated (with oxegen), so when I pour the water in the kettle, I pour the water from about a foot from the kettle (aerates it somewhat). It might not be doin anything, but who knows.

TeaFanatic wrote:If you are willing to pay for it, then spring water with minerals is probably the best way to go. I personally just graduated from high school so I don't have money to pay for water, so I use my fridge filter which works pretty well and makes good tasting tea. You could even filter your water twice (once with a tap filter and once with a pitcher filter).

You can make good tea with almost any water, in my opinion.

Jun 14th, '06, 01:16

by Warden Andy » Jun 14th, '06, 01:16

I don't know if it helps, but I also pour water into the kettle from up high. I also cool the water down for green tea by pouring it into a small glass pitcher, then into the thermos to get some more oxygen in the water.

As for water, I've been using Brita for a while without any problems. Just make sure you replace the filter as often as it says. After a while, it will start getting worse than tap water.
Super elite tea facist....

Jun 24th, '06, 19:22

by Sweet_Tea » Jun 24th, '06, 19:22

Yep a Brita and great tea go hand and hand.

+ Post Reply