"Golden" Yunnans...

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 14th, '06, 10:50

"Golden" Yunnans...

by rij73 » Jun 14th, '06, 10:50

Wondering if anyone has tried *both* Adagio's Yunnan Gold and Upton's Yunnan Golden Temple.

If you have, can you please let me know how they compare?

Thx!

Jun 20th, '06, 13:13

Yunnan Gold

by jashnew » Jun 20th, '06, 13:13

Rij- Its funny you posted this. I just placed an order with Upton Tea's. I actually ordered their Yunnan Rare Grade. I have some Adagio Yunnan Gold on hand. I'm going to do a blind tatste test. I'll let you know next week. This will be my first order from Upton. I mainly order from Specialteas and Adagio. I did a blind taste test between Yunnan Gold Special Teas and Yunnan Gold Adaigo Teas about a month ago. It was very close but I give the nod to Adaigo. It was more bold. Special Teas tasted creamier.

Jashnew

Jun 20th, '06, 13:24

by Marlene » Jun 20th, '06, 13:24

I haven't had Upton Tea's Yunnan, but I have had Rishi Tea's Golden Yunnan, and I do like Adagio's better. Rishi's smells apricot-y but Adagio's tastes a tad apricot-y. Rishis is also a hair more bitter.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Jun 20th, '06, 13:28

by rij73 » Jun 20th, '06, 13:28

Well, I just ordered a sample of the Upton Golden Temple. I'll post back my comparison. After reading all about the Upton Yunnans, I think this will be the tea that comes closest to Adagio's Yunnan Gold... we shall see!

Jun 22nd, '06, 14:19

by rij73 » Jun 22nd, '06, 14:19

OK, so my answer to my own question is that these two teas are absolutely as similar as two teas can be without being identical. In fact, they might just possible BE identical! I admit I don't have the most sophisticated palate, but I really can't tell the difference.

I didn't try the two side-by-side, but I've had Adagio's Yunnan Gold every day for the last 5 days, and today I had Upton's Yunnan Golden Temple. The dry and infused leaves look exactly alike, and as far as I can discern, the brewed tea is exactly the same color with the same flavor...

+ Post Reply