sniff cup

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 2nd, '09, 21:42

sniff cup

by coloradopu » May 2nd, '09, 21:42

well who uses them and why :wink:

May 3rd, '09, 20:27

by Geospearit » May 3rd, '09, 20:27

I sniff my cup after I finish drinking because the scent is quite fragrant, and I also like to see how long it lingers. But what is a "sniff cup"?

May 3rd, '09, 20:51

by coloradopu » May 3rd, '09, 20:51

Geospearit
how do

well in gung fu tea prep there is a small tall cup that the tea is put in and then the tea is transferred to a sip cup. this is done in several ways but the idea is after the tea is moved over from the sniff cup "small tall cup" which previously housed the tea is smelled for a period of time. in this time the smell changes.

i will not give it away but if you are persistent and it is done with a young sheng on the first steep you will get a reward after a period oh lets say on a good one 30 sec on a older one 1-1.5 min.

the amount of time also has a lot to do with how hot the sniff cup is so warm it with boil water first then pour the tea in and take 2 breaths then pour the tea out and sniff for a while.

its real cool

it is also done with oolongs because they change too. some radically

if you want the correct name forthe sniff cup i bet someone here on teachat knows the right way to refer to it.

happy sniffing. :P

May 3rd, '09, 20:52

by coloradopu » May 3rd, '09, 20:52

bye and bye a tall shot glass can be used too along with a small cup
fill shot glass 3/4 full and have fun

May 3rd, '09, 20:57

by Geospearit » May 3rd, '09, 20:57

How intriguing. I'll have to try this. :)

May 3rd, '09, 21:00

by coloradopu » May 3rd, '09, 21:00

please post your results
if you have the time i really like to hear from someone the first time they do this.

May 3rd, '09, 21:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » May 3rd, '09, 21:12

I use one on occasion when drinking aged sheng. I was also told that rolling the sniffer cup between the palms when still warm stimulates the accupressure points of the hands, no idea if it does much good beyond me enjoying the process but I'm unlikely to quit the procedure anytime soon.

If I'm breaking out a special tea I often like to add a little extra pomp and ritual to the exercise and sniffer cups help.

May 3rd, '09, 22:12

by teaskeptic » May 3rd, '09, 22:12

I bought some aroma cups when I was first getting into tea and was all bright-eyed to gear up. I think they are a fun way to get people into tea, but in the end don't really serve a purpose for me. There are usually plenty of items lying around during a session that can serve the smelling purpose (empty cups, brewing vessel, lids, etc...).

May 3rd, '09, 22:22

by coloradopu » May 3rd, '09, 22:22

no no no no no

you guys need to try what i suggest and well follow threw with it. don’t stop tell you get the very very strong smell and if you have done it before and done it right then you know the smell i speak of.

i gage a lot of teas by this smell

---strength of smell
----length it is present " because be it strong it is brief in some teas"
----and in how many steeps i get it " 1st given 2nd good 3rd better tea 4th best tea i drank"

again it does not last long and in some teas you have to smell the cup for 1-1.5 min. be shore the cup is hot too.

no pomp or just ritual here you do get something out of the tea by doing this.

think of how a bee hive smells or wild bees wax.

sorry i just put too much into doing this i guess.
:oops: :oops:

May 4th, '09, 04:29

by apache » May 4th, '09, 04:29

coloradopu wrote:Geospearit
how do

well in gung fu tea prep there is a small tall cup that the tea is put in and then the tea is transferred to a sip cup. this is done in several ways but the idea is after the tea is moved over from the sniff cup "small tall cup" which previously housed the tea is smelled for a period of time. in this time the smell changes.

i will not give it away but if you are persistent and it is done with a young sheng on the first steep you will get a reward after a period oh lets say on a good one 30 sec on a older one 1-1.5 min.

the amount of time also has a lot to do with how hot the sniff cup is so warm it with boil water first then pour the tea in and take 2 breaths then pour the tea out and sniff for a while.

its real cool

it is also done with oolongs because they change too. some radically

if you want the correct name forthe sniff cup i bet someone here on teachat knows the right way to refer to it.

happy sniffing. :P

I think it is called "wen xiang bei" (聞香杯).

Here is a picture I find on the web:

May 4th, '09, 21:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by JP » May 4th, '09, 21:23

That picture is a properly shaped aroma cup. The way to properly use one is to have a matching drinking cup with it (they are often sold in sets that way). Fill the aroma cup with tea and then set the drinking cup upside down on the aroma cup. Flip the whole thing over and then pull the aroma straight up. That aerates the tea which helps create more pronounced aromas for you to sniff from the now empty aroma cup.
刀獾
片和

May 4th, '09, 21:24

by coloradopu » May 4th, '09, 21:24

thanks jp nailed it

+ Post Reply