1 teaspoon of tea = X grams?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 9th, '09, 08:46

1 teaspoon of tea = X grams?

by TokyoB » May 9th, '09, 08:46

Hi.
Using O-Cha's Sae Midori, I was making tea at work and assumed that O-Cha's suggestion that 1 teaspoon is 4 gms of tea. However at home today, using a proper measuring spoon it seems that 1 teaspoon is 2.5 mgs. Maybe O-Cha was thinking of a an everyday teaspoon, i.e. larger. Does everyone agree that 1 teaspoon of shincha/sencha is about 2.5 gms? I can see how a more whole leaf sencha might be more bulky and actually be less than 2.5 gms per teaspoon though.
Any thoughts on such a basic question, or am I the only one?
Thanks.

May 9th, '09, 09:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 9th, '09, 09:10

Using a scale for Japanese greens, at least til you know "teaspoon" volume conversions of a particular tea, is very adventagous, IMHO.

I was shocked at the disparity in what I personally was doing based on volume only when I first got a scale. It was the one thing that so greatly enhanced my enjoyment of tea, that I was overhooked on it. I now basically use it for Japanese greens ... unless I am just checking a new tea or myself.
Last edited by Chip on May 9th, '09, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, '09, 09:10

by Ed » May 9th, '09, 09:10

I don't own a scale and have never used one for tea. I use a standard sized teaspoon (not a measuring teaspoon for baking). My starting point for a fukamushi sencha is 1 teaspoon (full teaspoon but not heaping) per 100ml water. For an asamushi, I would do at least double that amount or get out a tablespoon, as the long needle-shaped leaves won't fit well in a small teaspoon. After a while you get a feel for it and you can see right away when you have the right amount of leaf in that spoon. No scale required! :)

Also, I wouldn't trust the directions on most packages. They are often way off. You'll be able to taste it when you get the right leaf to water ratio (and of course the right temperature and brew time).

[Edit] Dammit, Chip! We posted at the same time. :P

May 9th, '09, 09:18

by TokyoB » May 9th, '09, 09:18

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use a scale at home but don't want to use one at work. My co-workers already think I'm obessive as it is - using a thermometer to measure the water coming out of the hot side of the water dispenser at work! I am trying to get a feel for the right amount of tea through experimentation but sometimes I want to try and replicate the parameters that someone suggested here at TeaChat so I need to know the teaspoon to gms conversion! I guess it may vary quite a bit is the lesson - will need to try it at home to know for sure.
TokyoB

May 9th, '09, 12:23

Re: 1 teaspoon of tea = X grams?

by olivierco » May 9th, '09, 12:23

TokyoB wrote:Hi.
Using O-Cha's Sae Midori, I was making tea at work and assumed that O-Cha's suggestion that 1 teaspoon is 4 gms of tea. However at home today, using a proper measuring spoon it seems that 1 teaspoon is 2.5 mgs. Maybe O-Cha was thinking of a an everyday teaspoon, i.e. larger. Does everyone agree that 1 teaspoon of shincha/sencha is about 2.5 gms? I can see how a more whole leaf sencha might be more bulky and actually be less than 2.5 gms per teaspoon though.
Any thoughts on such a basic question, or am I the only one?
Thanks.
For the teas sold by Ocha, you always have in the description the "Recommended Leaf to Water Ratio" which is 0.5g per 1oz (30ml) water.

I usually use more leaves for sencha anyway.

May 9th, '09, 13:14

Re: 1 teaspoon of tea = X grams?

by ErikaM » May 9th, '09, 13:14

TokyoB wrote:Hi.
Using O-Cha's Sae Midori, I was making tea at work and assumed that O-Cha's suggestion that 1 teaspoon is 4 gms of tea.
Thanks.
I noticed that too. I'm wondering if it's a typo and they meant to put "tablespoon."

May 9th, '09, 13:27

by guitar9876 » May 9th, '09, 13:27

This is been driving me crazy for a long time! So I finally ordered the My Weigh 400-z scale. Should come soon... decided i couldn't survive shincha season without it.

May 9th, '09, 14:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 9th, '09, 14:13

guitar9876 wrote:This is been driving me crazy for a long time! So I finally ordered the My Weigh 400-z scale. Should come soon... decided i couldn't survive shincha season without it.
Your life will never be the same! :lol: Plus now you can sell drugs as a side line. 8)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 9th, '09, 14:40

by guitar9876 » May 9th, '09, 14:40

Chip wrote:
guitar9876 wrote:This is been driving me crazy for a long time! So I finally ordered the My Weigh 400-z scale. Should come soon... decided i couldn't survive shincha season without it.
Your life will never be the same! :lol: Plus now you can sell drugs as a side line. 8)
oh yeeaah.... 8)

+ Post Reply