Apr 17th, '09, 20:42

Fortnum & Mason...a good place to order tea from?

by Rosethyme » Apr 17th, '09, 20:42

Just wondering as I had started an order at Fortnum & Mason's site and didn't finish. The descriptions sound good but I need advice. I will probably order from Adagio but maybe Fortnum would be good as well? I don't think I saw a specific Oolong type though. Oolong is my favorite and I don't care for the flavored teas...or flavored coffee either.

May 15th, '09, 04:56

by sneakers » May 15th, '09, 04:56

They've been around since 1707, but I don't know if that's meaningful as to current quality. I see they also have a store now in DE, so you can avoid overseas shipping.

A little wooden box of tea from F&M about 10 years ago started me on serious teas. A friend who has no taste in food or drink was given the box with English preserves and other delicacies, and passed it on to me because she didn't drink loose tea, The tea was tightly sealed inside the box, and was marked "Assam Orange Pekoe" which had a hazy meaning for me. On the F&M site, it was $17/ 4 oz. Wow! My first encounter with good stuff.! It was very smooth and pleasant, not harsh like bagged tea. But when it was gone, it was also gone from the F&M site. Anyway, shipping from the UK would have been exorbitant.

I searched online for Assam OP, and found it at another dealer, but the taste was totally different, harsh. That's when I started reading...

I still have that little wooden box with the brass clasp as a container for my little tea scoops and my filter bags.

May 15th, '09, 05:27
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Fortnum & Mason...a good place to order tea from?

by Herb_Master » May 15th, '09, 05:27

Rosethyme wrote:Just wondering as I had started an order at Fortnum & Mason's site and didn't finish. The descriptions sound good but I need advice. I will probably order from Adagio but maybe Fortnum would be good as well? I don't think I saw a specific Oolong type though. Oolong is my favorite and I don't care for the flavored teas...or flavored coffee either.
I think this sub-forum is intended for making recommendations to Adagio!

If your interest lies in unadulterated Oolong, you may be better placed asking your questions in the oolong sub-forum.

If you want to know more detail about Oolongs that you may buy, Teacuppa and DragonTeaHouse are good entry level sites.
Best wishes from Cheshire

May 16th, '09, 20:18

by sneakers » May 16th, '09, 20:18

Sorry we've been misbehaving. I'll be a good girl now.

May 16th, '09, 21:58

by Chip » May 16th, '09, 21:58

BTW, I moved this to Miscellany.

Chip
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 18th, '09, 14:51

by Rosethyme » May 18th, '09, 14:51

Herb_Master wrote:
Rosethyme wrote:Just wondering as I had started an order at Fortnum & Mason's site and didn't finish. The descriptions sound good but I need advice. I will probably order from Adagio but maybe Fortnum would be good as well? I don't think I saw a specific Oolong type though. Oolong is my favorite and I don't care for the flavored teas...or flavored coffee either.
I think this sub-forum is intended for making recommendations to Adagio!

If your interest lies in unadulterated Oolong, you may be better placed asking your questions in the oolong sub-forum.

If you want to know more detail about Oolongs that you may buy, Teacuppa and DragonTeaHouse are good entry level sites.
Being new to this forum, I didn't realize it was Adagio exclusively.

May 18th, '09, 14:56

by Chip » May 18th, '09, 14:56

Rosethyme wrote:Being new to this forum, I didn't realize it was Adagio exclusively.
No, not Adagio exclusively, you just happened to post under the Adagio category of TeaChat. Adagio wants open discussions on teas and vendors.

May 19th, '09, 11:51

by J. » May 19th, '09, 11:51

I year ago, I went to Fortnum and Mason and bought a tin box of "loose leaves" tea.

I personally think they are good for their "English teas", I only bought one aromatic tea and everyone in my family like it.
The leaves are not big, between normal loose leaves and teabags leaves.

I don't know a lot about their "special teas" that are'nt in tin boxes (like oolongs)

Waht I really think is that their teas are not too expensive and yet easy to enjoy.

May 20th, '09, 22:56

by Rosethyme » May 20th, '09, 22:56

Chip wrote:
Rosethyme wrote:Being new to this forum, I didn't realize it was Adagio exclusively.
No, not Adagio exclusively, you just happened to post under the Adagio category of TeaChat. Adagio wants open discussions on teas and vendors.
Thank you, Chip. I am looking forward to my first order from Adagio. Here is what I selected...have never tried these before:

yunnan jig
yunnan gold
ceylon sonata
spring darjeeling
golden monkey
irish breakfast
keemun encore
silver needle
white darjeeling
white peony
gunpowder

It was wonderful to be able to order samples so we can decide what we like best.

May 21st, '09, 00:08

by Chip » May 21st, '09, 00:08

You are welcome and nice selection. I particularly enjoy their Silver Needles, Golden Monkey, and have wanted to try their White Darjeeling.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply