Hi from a new student of tea.

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

May 15th, '09, 16:54

Hi from a new student of tea.

by syscrusher » May 15th, '09, 16:54

I'm a coffee nutcase. I've gone completely off the coffee deep-end, the learning process has taken years. Looking back, there are times along that process I now cringe at, remembering what I was drinking and considering to be good. Nonetheless, that was the process.

I recently realised that I have a pretty good understanding of coffee, but almost no appreciation for tea. So, I've set out to educate myself. Here in Dublin (Ireland) we have 2 speciality tea shops (I call them speciality, but then again I know so little I am open to being wrong). House of Tea, and Palais Des Thes (which is a chain of French origin).

I went in and in both shops took up about 20-25 mins of time from the shop assistants, looking for recommendations, different teas, etc.

So I ended up with:

6 Black Teas (Margaret's Hope FF 09, Dian Hong?, Thurbo DJ3 FF 09, Thurbo second flush?, Phuguri DJ168 clonal tips, Grand Yunan Imperial)

3 Green Teas (a sencha, a bancha, and a chinese organic Mao Feng).

1 Pu Er Grad 1 Lincang

1 Oolong which I can't find right now

1 white tea flower (well actually 3 flowers, but they're all the same).

2 non-teas - Rooibos & Lapacho

Basically I've just started making my way through these, following the brew guidelines, trying to get a feel for tea.

The idea isn't to replace coffee, or even replicate my passion for that beverage, but first and foremost to educate. In that vein, I'm looking forward to reading through these forums, and taking any advice that comes my way.

Cheers,

David

May 15th, '09, 19:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » May 15th, '09, 19:07

Welcome to tea chat, I have often been in Bewlays on Grafton street over Rugby weekends. Where are the 2 specialty shops you refer to? Do they have websites and mail order?

May 16th, '09, 03:52

by syscrusher » May 16th, '09, 03:52

Palais Des Thes is on Wicklow St
and
House of Tea is in the CHQ Building in the IFSC

May 16th, '09, 04:50

by Trey Winston » May 16th, '09, 04:50

Welcome :D
Trey

May 16th, '09, 10:33

by kymidwife » May 16th, '09, 10:33

Welcome David... sounds like you have an interesting variety to start your explorations with. I've learned so much here in a year's time... so I firmly believe you have come to the right place.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

May 16th, '09, 10:56

by geeber1 » May 16th, '09, 10:56

Welcome!

May 16th, '09, 12:14

by Beidao » May 16th, '09, 12:14

I think you made good choices! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about them. Oh, and welcome! :)
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 16th, '09, 13:19

by Dreamer » May 16th, '09, 13:19

Coffee? What's that?

Welcome to the wonderful world of tea...you've come to a great place to feed your addiction...oh, you're not addicted? Sure that's what you say now...just wait!

Welcome to the chat!

Have fun,
Dreamer

May 16th, '09, 13:25

by Victoria » May 16th, '09, 13:25

Welcome! Maybe we will convert you, or at least win you over.
:)

May 16th, '09, 13:26

by Proinsias » May 16th, '09, 13:26

Welcome David,

Sounds like decent selection to start off with, once you've got a feel for the tea head off to internet land where's the sky's almost the limit for quality.

May 16th, '09, 14:29

by syscrusher » May 16th, '09, 14:29

Thanks all.

May 16th, '09, 17:28

by syscrusher » May 16th, '09, 17:28

I've actually liked all I've tried so far. Possibly the one that has surprised me the most was the PU ER GRADE 1 LINCANG 2003.

I've never had any kind of Pu Er before, and I had somewhat dismissed it as "that slimming fad tea".

On the nose - fish. Kippers. In the cup, bread mold, earth. - but in a good way.

Really enjoyed it. Also I've found a new use for my 5/6oz Koziol cup - seems a nice cup for tea (had been using it for cappas).

May 18th, '09, 11:07

by syscrusher » May 18th, '09, 11:07

The small sample of:

DARJEELING PHUGURI DJ168 CLONAL TIPS S.F.T.G.F.O.P -SECOND FLUSH 2008

I got from Palais Des Thes is really really excellent. It's got a really fruity sweetness, and even a mouthfeel somewhat heavier than some of the other teas.

Took a photo of the leaves:

Last edited by syscrusher on May 19th, '09, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

May 18th, '09, 23:58

Tea Testing~

by BeaK » May 18th, '09, 23:58

David you made me smile just reading your tour of tea selections.

I too am an avid fan of coffee...but it must be my own brew and just the way I like it. I don't do coffee "out" and I always purchase organic and free trade.

Well, actually there is one place that I love to have coffee, just don't get there too often anymore. Cafe' du Monde in New orleans, LA makes a mean cup of cafe'au lait...I must plan a trip.

Now, on to the subject of tea. I've tried many and I've tossed many.

I adore chai both others and my own blend.

Jasmine is a favorite also.

I recently was introduced to a green tea I had not tasted before.
Gyokuro...sold as "Pearl Dew"....This tea has little tannic content so it taste quite smooth and pleasant

I am a big lover of herbal tisanes, which has no tea leaf at all, but delicious and healthy. I often do blends of herbal tisanes and white tea leaf.

Have fun and I'll sip to your education~

May 19th, '09, 10:44
Scrolling: fixed

You will learn fast!

by Intuit » May 19th, '09, 10:44

You obviously have developed a fine appreciation for high-quality coffee; that patient education process will aide you in developing a similar appreciation for top-notch teas.

I suspect that tea will replace coffee at the top of your 'go-to' beverage list, as you begin to really dig into experiencing various tea types, because they can be so very different from one another in flavor - and physiological effects other than gustatorial appreciation of the learned palate. Acquiring teaware suitable for preparing and imbibing great teas will probably become a concurrent passion.

With well over 1300 subtypes, learning about tea is bound to be a long and quite interesting process for the intrepid and patient student willing to put in the time, effort and expense.

+ Post Reply