Iced Green Tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 26th, '06, 21:47

Iced Green Tea

by Klondike » Jun 26th, '06, 21:47

When I was a kid, my mother would make iced tea that was called "Sun Tea". She put 2 Lipton tea bags in a 1 gal. glass milk bottle full of cold water, put a cap on it and set it on the steps outside in the hot summer sun. At the end of the day she would bring in the bottle, remove the tea bags and place the tea in the refrigerator. This process made very clear (never cloudy) very good tasting iced tea. After fully chilled she would add some sugar and some lemon juice and there was a gallon of tea ready to consume. If I were to do this same thing with loose green tea, I'm trying to figure out how much tea I would add to the water. One gallon would be 16 cups so would I add 16 tsp. of tea or would that be too much, or too little. any suggestions. I'm trying not to waste too much tea by experimenting. Maybe someone out there might know how much tea I should use. Help!

Jun 26th, '06, 23:33

by acehigh » Jun 26th, '06, 23:33

That should be just right for cold brewing. Use cold water and leave for 10 hours in the refrigerator. I do this with gyokuro and taste great.

Use the same amount of tea as normal brewing.

Jun 27th, '06, 00:10

by Klondike » Jun 27th, '06, 00:10

Thanks. Since making my post I have read several things on the internet about Sun Tea and what you refer to as Cold Brewing. I'm trying the cold brewing method as we speak. It's in the refrigerator right now. Can't wait til tomorrow to try it. Thanks for the reply. Klondike

+ Post Reply