How much of an indicator is color?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

May 18th, '09, 09:42

How much of an indicator is color?

by FakePlasticTeas » May 18th, '09, 09:42

So I'm pretty new to teas and infusing and everything, and I'm just wondering how safe if is to judge steeping by color more than time/temps?

Like on a second and third infusion, can I wait until it looks right and safely assume the flavor will be there? or will the leaves be giving off color even though the flavor is weaker, or vice versa? Follow me?

I'm also not hip to temps. I microwave my water in a ceramic kettle usually until it seems pretty damn hot and just go for it, is that an awful idea? Usually about 5 mins for a quart.

and lastly... how much should a "teaspoon" of tea weigh? My leaves are too puffy for my rookie eye to tell yet so I want to use my scale for a while until I get a better idea.

Thanks in advance
gravity always wins.

May 18th, '09, 09:58

by Steph902 » May 18th, '09, 09:58

I'm pretty new to tea, but for you water heating issues, For white/green tea I usually bring water to a rolling boil then let it sit for 1 minute. For measuring tea I usually just use how much I think the taste it, & add more if I need to! Hope that Helps!

Steph.

May 18th, '09, 09:59

Same question

by mikeh129 » May 18th, '09, 09:59

Hi I'm just starting brewing loose teas also. Besides the amount question does the tea lose anything if its brewed and you dont drink it till next day?

May 18th, '09, 10:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 18th, '09, 10:37

Welcome to TeaChat!!!

Color is not a reliable indicator. Aroma can be a better indicator. Timing the brew and some trial and error is the best way to decide when your tea is ready.

Generally, microwaves are not the best way to heat your water for tea. I recommend a kettle of some kind, either stove top or self standing elictric kettle that you plug in.

Teas like white are best consumed as soon as possible after brewing, the brew tends to oxidize/darken after brewing, particularly for whites it seems to me, perhaps because white leaf has not been oxidized and is the least processed of all the different tea leaves.

However, you can rebrew the leaves throughout the day, and I have kept white leaves for resteeping even the next day.

May 18th, '09, 11:21

by FakePlasticTeas » May 18th, '09, 11:21

Thanks Chip.

Any tips on the weighing? How much would a "teaspoon" weigh in grams?

Also, whats the best way to keep tea for re-steeping? should you wring it out/attempt to dry it?
gravity always wins.

May 18th, '09, 11:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 18th, '09, 11:55

Well, each white tea (if we are talking white) is going to weigh differently. For 6-8 ounces of water, since white is so fluffy, around 1-2 tablespoons. I will usually go around a gram per ounce water for whites, sometimes less.

Just pour the water off, as much as possible, then resteep. Never wring it out.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply