Tea Sweet Shops in NYC

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

Tea Sweet Shops in NYC

Postby CutieAgouti » May 19th, '09, 11:30

Hello! So a few weeks ago I compiled a great list (partly thanks to TeaChat) for stores in the NYC area for tea sweets.

Unfortunately when I went to NYC last weekend I noticed a lot of the places on my list have closed such as TAFU and Amai.

So anyone know of other places in NYC that sell tea-related sweets, in particular matcha-based desserts?

Thanks!
CutieAgouti

Postby chingwa » May 19th, '09, 18:41

wha?? TAFU closed?! I'm sorry to hear that news... I liked that place, even if it was kind of small. That didn't last long... maybe a year?

For Japanese sweets you really should check out at Minamoto Kitchoan on 49th just west of 5th ave. expensive stuff but ooooh sooo goood. :)
chingwa

Postby CutieAgouti » May 19th, '09, 19:26

I know it's a shame!! I found out about TAFU two weeks before it closed so I never had the chance to try it :(

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out in a few weeks when I'm back in NYC. The stuff on their site looks good and I never mind paying for a treat :wink:
CutieAgouti

Postby sneakers » May 19th, '09, 20:36

What are "tea sweets"?

I live near the city, but I get my tea at Silver Tips in Tarrytown in Westchester County. Their food and especially their desserts are outstanding. Buy my teas before leaving. Does luscious dessert count as a "tea sweet"?
sneakers

Postby shesallthat » May 20th, '09, 08:37

Kee's chocolates in Soho is #1 but super expensive.
shesallthat

Postby TokyoB » May 23rd, '09, 21:35

Minamoto Kitchoan has authentic Japanese sweets. Mochi is flown in from Tokyo twice a week. All staff is Japanese. Great stuff! It is at Rockefeller Center.
http://www.kitchoan.com/E/NY/index_b.html
TokyoB

Postby CutieAgouti » May 23rd, '09, 23:36

Thanks for the responses! Definitely going to check out Kee's and Minamoto in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how that turns out :)

And I guess by tea sweets, uh, anything delicious! Whether made with tea or to accommodate other teas
CutieAgouti

Instant Messenger

Permissions