Friday TeaDay 5/22/09 TeawareArtisan requests?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you have a type of teaware to recommend Teaware Artisans create and what would it be?

Yes, a special, unique teacup
6%
Yes, a kyusu style teapot
14%
Yes, a tea storage vessel
No votes
Yes, a water storage vessel
9%
Yes, a unique or perhaps avant garde teapot
6%
Yes, something form over function, a show piece
3%
Yes, a traditional teapot
11%
Yes, a water cooler
6%
Yes, a mug
9%
Yes, a pitcher or fair cup
3%
Yes, a guinomi (sake cup)
No votes
Yes, a yunomi
17%
Yes, a special chawan (tea bowl)
6%
Yes, a saucer or tea plate
No votes
Yes, other
11%

Total votes: 35

May 22nd, '09, 10:49

by Aphroditea » May 22nd, '09, 10:49

jazz88 wrote:I said: a unique or perhaps avant garde teapot. Really curious if there would be anyone else with such preferences?

No tea yet.
Oh, you artsy types and your cutting-edge ways! Making the rest of us scratch our heads! ;D

Cory has one teapot that had me doing just that, actually - it looks sorta like Aladdin's lamp was in a horrific accident. Yet, I am still drawn to it, it has this interestingly approachable texture and is kind of whimsical :) Art is in the what? :)

I am equally drawn to the traditional pots (like Chen's) and the unique ones. There is beauty all along the spectrum :D

May 22nd, '09, 11:06

by geeber1 » May 22nd, '09, 11:06

Aphroditea wrote:In my cup: golden monkey, super strong and in my 10oz Tinkerbell mug :P
Yeah, it's THAT kinda morning.
:lol:

May 22nd, '09, 11:32

by chicagopotter » May 22nd, '09, 11:32

I don't want to speak for potters as a whole, but I find it actually refreshing to work on a new forms. It's very easy to fall into a rut of executing the same design over and over again. New pieces, for me, provide freedom and new problem solving opportunities.

My one hold-up for making more different types of teaware is that I don't yet fully understand their use. I would love to make a chawan, but have never had matcha nor seen a tea ceremony. Once I start having those experiences, I feel I will be ready to move on to those forms. For example, now that I am using a gaiwan daily and understand its function, I feel comfortable enough to create my own interpretation of the form.

With that said, I do love working with people to try to create a piece that fits their functional and aesthetic needs, as well being a fair representation of my working style.

Aphroditea -- $$ makes the world go round, but a lot of potters (me included) will trade goods/services for our wares.

Thanks again, TeaChatters, for being so open to this type of discussion. I am certainly learning much much more about tea every day!

May 22nd, '09, 11:36

by olivierco » May 22nd, '09, 11:36

Kame Jiru Shi gyokuro this afternoon.

May 22nd, '09, 11:41

by geeber1 » May 22nd, '09, 11:41

A work-related newsletter that I subscribe to had an article about how word balloons used to be used so much in advertising.

If you have ever noticed the metering stamp that TeaSource uses, it has the "TEA PEPS YOU UP! section with Mr. T. Pott on it. (Thanks to Gene Gable of creativepro.com for the image)

As for the poll question, I think the artisans should be free to create as they wish, I would only make a special request if I were paying them to do something in particular for me.

Irish Breakfast this morning. Happy Friday everyone!

May 22nd, '09, 12:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Mrs. Chip » May 22nd, '09, 12:05

jazz88 wrote:I said: a unique or perhaps avant garde teapot. Really curious if there would be anyone else with such preferences?

I would have to agree with you jazz! Allowing the artist to be as creative and innovative as 'he' desires would be alright with me!
chicagopotter wrote:I don't want to speak for potters as a whole, but I find it actually refreshing to work on a new forms. It's very easy to fall into a rut of executing the same design over and over again. New pieces, for me, provide freedom and new problem solving opportunities.

With that said, I do love working with people to try to create a piece that fits their functional and aesthetic needs, as well being a fair representation of my working style.
That's the sign of a true artist! Love it! I am a florist and I just get into it when someone gives me basics and says "Do Your Thing!"

Thanks for being part of our forum and for all the interaction with us Chris! 8)

May 22nd, '09, 12:09

by Chip » May 22nd, '09, 12:09

While the artisans are the ones with the ability to create beautiful teaware, it is also often beauty in the eyes of the beholder that is equally important.
chamekke wrote:I'd like to see more western potters making yunomi - especially thin-walled yunomi that are of modest height. (When I do find "western yunomi", they are often heavy, thick-walled and HUGE - like big coffee mugs with the handle removed.)

Am especially partial to yunomi with white interiors so that the colour of the tea can be appreciated. But that's just me :)
Not sure I could say it any better tbh. So, what she said X2! However, I am always keen on kyusu-s too!

Good to see you Chamekke!

Began the TD with a perfect session of Kirameki asamushi shincha from O-Cha. SweeTea showed good taste as usual. The TeaTable was over crowded today with Lil Bit (not little), Pyrit, Koi, Wulong, and TEAh.

I hope you all have a great TeaDay.

May 22nd, '09, 12:23

by leiche » May 22nd, '09, 12:23

All of the above? For voting's sake, I went with a fair cup/pitcher, because I don't own one yet. I would definitely leave the details of its creation up to the potter, though -- that's how amazing things happen. <3 pottery.

Hm. Think I'll have some genmaicha with lunch.

May 22nd, '09, 12:42

by brad4419 » May 22nd, '09, 12:42

A unique teacup for me.

The only teacups I have are for pu erh and are so small 3oz and 40ml For me thats not enough for everyday use. I can't wait to get a hagi or something with similar character when I can afford it.

Flavored tea this morning(don't know what I was thinking :roll: ) It was called blueberry and it appears to be mixed with earl grey. Not a bad aftertaste but not my cup of tea.

May 22nd, '09, 12:53

by Mrs. Chip » May 22nd, '09, 12:53

It is quite enjoyable so far reading everyone's take on the fun and interesting "Poll Question" today. Makes me wonder if any of our TeaWareArtisians will get some orders?

I forgot to share that currently in my cup, home-roasted genmaicha ala Chip!
Next :arrow:

May 22nd, '09, 13:55

by chamekke » May 22nd, '09, 13:55

chicagopotter wrote:My one hold-up for making more different types of teaware is that I don't yet fully understand their use. I would love to make a chawan, but have never had matcha nor seen a tea ceremony. Once I start having those experiences, I feel I will be ready to move on to those forms.
You might consider asking a tea ceremony teacher if she would be willing to give you a few lessons - or at least, to attend an event as a guest and then have the chance to hold the various utensils afterwards. I know there's a tea ceremony group of the Urasenke school in Chicago.

My tea sensei once invited a potter to take some lessons so that she (the potter) would have a better idea from experience of what was needed in each utensil. This immediately helped her understand why no one was buying her mizusashi-s (cold-water jars) until then - they were all super-heavy and the lids were too narrow for the tea ladle! But once the potter herself had learned to carry a (filled) mizusashi into the tearoom in the prescribed way, to kneel and set it down and pick it up again, she could appreciate why mizusashi tend to be lightweight. Plus, when she had the chance to ladle out some water using the traditional bamboo ladle, she could also see why the mizusashi needs to be wide-mouthed :)

May 22nd, '09, 14:15

by Chip » May 22nd, '09, 14:15

Sae Midori ala O-Cha ...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 22nd, '09, 15:11

by tea-guy » May 22nd, '09, 15:11

In my cup... "Immunitea" by The Loose Leaf...

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6197139
---

Tea-Guy

May 22nd, '09, 15:45

by Victoria » May 22nd, '09, 15:45

In my cup this afternoon -
AliShan from Hou De.

May 22nd, '09, 15:46

by entropyembrace » May 22nd, '09, 15:46

I voted for a traditional teapot because I'd love to have a smaller pot to try gongfu. My current pot has a pretty good pour for it's size but there's no way I can drink more than a couple of infusions from it at once...so I go less leaves, more time and less infusions.

2nd flush margaret's hope darjeeling today. :)