May 22nd, '09, 05:04

Making large amounts of iced tea efficiently

by techman » May 22nd, '09, 05:04

I love iced tea and often use loose darjelling 2nd flush from Stash Tea.
Since I go through about 2 gallons a week and have limited time, I like to make it on the weekend and have enough for the week in my fridge.
Right now the process is time consuming and Im looking for more efficient methods of making a large quantity of iced tea.

I filter my water in a brita pitcher and pour it in batches into a lage pot.
I then boil the water in a large pot on the stove.
Then i add a large tea ball with measured amount of tea leaves
I remove the ball, add a lid to the pot and let it cool for 5 hours or so.
Then i pour the tea into several pitchers (its hard not to spill since the pot I use doesnt have a spout).

May 22nd, '09, 09:31

Re: Making large amounts of iced tea efficiently

by hop_goblin » May 22nd, '09, 09:31

techman wrote:I love iced tea and often use loose darjelling 2nd flush from Stash Tea.
Since I go through about 2 gallons a week and have limited time, I like to make it on the weekend and have enough for the week in my fridge.
Right now the process is time consuming and Im looking for more efficient methods of making a large quantity of iced tea.

I filter my water in a brita pitcher and pour it in batches into a lage pot.
I then boil the water in a large pot on the stove.
Then i add a large tea ball with measured amount of tea leaves
I remove the ball, add a lid to the pot and let it cool for 5 hours or so.
Then i pour the tea into several pitchers (its hard not to spill since the pot I use doesnt have a spout).
I make a gallon every other day. I use a gallon milk jug and add loose leaf. let it sit overnight. In the Morn, strain it into a sun tea jar and put in fridge and voila

May 22nd, '09, 11:00

by chicagopotter » May 22nd, '09, 11:00

hop_goblin wrote:I make a gallon every other day. I use a gallon milk jug and add loose leaf. let it sit overnight. In the Morn, strain it into a sun tea jar and put in fridge and voila
How what kind of tea and how much do you use?

May 22nd, '09, 11:24

by cheaton » May 22nd, '09, 11:24

Keep in mind also that making iced tea doesn't require boiling water. Some may even argue that cold water "brewing" makes better tasting iced tea.

May 22nd, '09, 12:48

by woozl » May 22nd, '09, 12:48

I also like Chips idea of a pinch of honey.
Not to sweeten but for preservative qualities.
Especially if you are brewing green to keep.
I get good results with cold brew too.
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

May 22nd, '09, 20:51

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 22nd, '09, 20:51

I use a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup, 4 scoops of a random second flush darjeeling, and do three steeps. All of them get thrown into my 3 quart pitcher and stuck in the fridge until cold. I also cold brew single water bottles of green tea by using one make your own teabag tied off in a knot and letting it sit roughly over night or at least a few hours, then just topping off the water when it gets low. When the tea starts losing flavor, I put in fresh tea leaves. I have at least two or three of those going at a time plus the larger pitcher of iced tea.

May 24th, '09, 06:45

by teaguy » May 24th, '09, 06:45

Hey, good topic! I was just thinking it's time to get back into iced tea. For convenience, I'd suggest this method I learned here in Taiwan:

http://www.taiwanteaguy.com/2008/05/15/ ... mmer-days/

http://www.taiwanteaguy.com/2008/05/16/ ... s-part-ii/

The key point is to start with ice water. The rule we follow is, "Drink hot tea hot and cold tea cold." I usually keep a couple bottles of cold water in the fridge, ready for use. Then I can simply add the proper amount of leaf, leave it in the fridge overnight, and I'm good to go. I think you'll find the tea tastes better this way (at least I did).

One of our tea experts here has promised a course on cold brew techniques, and I'll post up the details when he gets around to it.
"The meaning of life can be found in a good cup of tea."

Check out more Taiwan tea stories (with photos) at taiwanteaguy.com

May 24th, '09, 08:44

by Riene » May 24th, '09, 08:44

Alright, I'll be the heretic.

Two family-sized Luzianne teabags. Glass pitcher (pre-warmed is helpful). A quart of boiling water. Let steep until so black you can't see through it. Dilute with cold water--we use the spray hose on the sink and our well-water, aerates the brew nicely, which is important. :D Pour over ice. Add sugar or lemon or mint. Enjoy.

Everyone around here will drink gallons of iced tea in the summer. I've never tried to make it from my expensive full-leaf loose teas--there's no way I could afford to do so, with the amount of tea we drink!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

May 24th, '09, 09:47

by Dresden » May 24th, '09, 09:47

Riene wrote:Alright, I'll be the heretic.

Two family-sized Luzianne teabags.
No shame in that... We do the same thing down here (with Community instead of Luzianne).

May 27th, '09, 15:40

by Zion21 » May 27th, '09, 15:40

Riene wrote:
Alright, I'll be the heretic.

Two family-sized Luzianne teabags. Glass pitcher (pre-warmed is helpful). A quart of boiling water. Let steep until so black you can't see through it. Dilute with cold water--we use the spray hose on the sink and our well-water, aerates the brew nicely, which is important. :D Pour over ice. Add sugar or lemon or mint. Enjoy.
Everyone around here will drink gallons of iced tea in the summer. I've never tried to make it from my expensive full-leaf loose teas--there's no way I could afford to do so, with the amount of tea we drink!
Great advice, I am going to try this later today. Thanks

May 27th, '09, 22:35

by emeraldrobot » May 27th, '09, 22:35

hop_goblin wrote:
I make a gallon every other day. I use a gallon milk jug and add loose leaf. let it sit overnight. In the Morn, strain it into a sun tea jar and put in fridge and voila
How much tea per gallon do you use?

+ Post Reply