Greetings from the desert southwest

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Apr 16th, '09, 21:08

Greetings from the desert southwest

by Quemador » Apr 16th, '09, 21:08

Good evening fine tea drinkers of the world!

I'm new to tea. And by new to tea, I mean my experience involves lipton, nestea, the tea machine at work, and whatever they serve at the chinese buffet. Anyhoo, I'm not a huge user of caffeine (I don't even drink coffee) but I do drink a lot of free green tea provided by the machines at work. I thought it time to branch out so I ordered the green tea starter kit provided by Adagio along with the herbal tea sampler. I'm pretty excited to commence my journey into the land of fine tea...I'll be sure to let y'all know how it turns out.

P.S. any and all advice, suggestions, info, and recommendations are welcome.

Apr 16th, '09, 21:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 16th, '09, 21:10

Welcome Quemador to the forum. My suggestion is to read the forum and try samples and ask questions!

I am looking forward to seeing you around TeaChat!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 16th, '09, 23:25

by tjkoko_off » Apr 16th, '09, 23:25

Welcome and I'm from the Mojave. And you?

I'd recommend beginning your journey with a darjeeling that's very 'muscatey'.

Apr 17th, '09, 00:07

by Victoria » Apr 17th, '09, 00:07

Welcome! Give oolongs a try next!

Apr 17th, '09, 01:24

by olivierco » Apr 17th, '09, 01:24

Welcome!

Apr 17th, '09, 08:36

by iannon » Apr 17th, '09, 08:36

welcome!.. might i also suggest the Den's sample kit for 3 bucks! gives you enough of a few different types for a couple batches of tea each. definetely worth the 3 dollars anyway IMO

Apr 17th, '09, 19:33

by Quemador » Apr 17th, '09, 19:33

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions all! I'm from the East Valley (of the sun), AZ.

I'll definitely try all suggestions from all of you all masters... I'll probably start with the sampler, I'm all about sampling varieties so that I'll be able get an idea and hone flavors I prefer.

What does "muscatey" mean if I may ask?
- Quemador

Apr 17th, '09, 21:27

by Victoria » Apr 17th, '09, 21:27

Quemador wrote:Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions all! I'm from the East Valley (of the sun), AZ.

I'll definitely try all suggestions from all of you all masters... I'll probably start with the sampler, I'm all about sampling varieties so that I'll be able get an idea and hone flavors I prefer.

That would mean wine-like fruitiness. I would not recommend the oolong sampler, but rather to try a few individual tins. The sampler has been known to include two or more jasmines. Not a good representation of oolongs.
:)

Apr 17th, '09, 22:29

by Quemador » Apr 17th, '09, 22:29

Victoria wrote:
Quemador wrote:Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions all! I'm from the East Valley (of the sun), AZ.

That would mean wine-like fruitiness. I would not recommend the oolong sampler, but rather to try a few individual tins. The sampler has been known to include two or more jasmines. Not a good representation of oolongs.
:)
Would you be able to explain and describe to me "oolongs," in your words however including beginner terms/references? Would be very appreciated.
- Quemador

Apr 19th, '09, 15:13

by DoctorD » Apr 19th, '09, 15:13

Seven Cups in Tucson has video podcasts about oolong (and lots else) on its website. You might find some of them helpful. The teahouse itself, near the U of AZ, is worth the trip down (up?) from Phoenix. Quiet and relaxing; a wonderful tea list--mainly high end varieties, above my regular pay grade, but a great place for an afternoon of sipping. (I'm a Michigander, but my daughter lives in Tucson, so it makes a nice destination visit when we're in the area.)

Apr 20th, '09, 09:55

by Shelob » Apr 20th, '09, 09:55

Chip wrote:Welcome Quemador to the forum. My suggestion is to read the forum and try samples and ask questions!
I am looking forward to seeing you around TeaChat!
+1! Good Advice from our moderator.
Be sure to ask questions a must in the learning process here. My suggestion would be to not order too many samples at first, looks like you have some coming, I would finish those before I move on to others.

BTW, Welcome Quemador and I am glad you are here with us at TC.
Have a FAB TeaDay Everyone!

May 26th, '09, 23:07

by DQBunny » May 26th, '09, 23:07

DoctorD wrote:Seven Cups in Tucson has video podcasts about oolong (and lots else) on its website. You might find some of them helpful. The teahouse itself, near the U of AZ, is worth the trip down (up?) from Phoenix. Quiet and relaxing; a wonderful tea list--mainly high end varieties, above my regular pay grade, but a great place for an afternoon of sipping. (I'm a Michigander, but my daughter lives in Tucson, so it makes a nice destination visit when we're in the area.)
Oh, I agree completely! I just moved up from Tucson to the Chandler/Ahwatukee area, and I miss Seven Cups. It was the very first teahouse that I ever went to, and the service there was beyond excellent. It's a fantastic place to spend a few hours (we never spent less than two hours there at a time).

May 27th, '09, 05:32

by cherylopal » May 27th, '09, 05:32

Welcome :)

Hope you enjoy your green starters!
cheryl :)

+ Post Reply