All my pu erh is starting to taste bad

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 26th, '09, 12:38

by yee » May 26th, '09, 12:38

hop_goblin wrote:
yee wrote:Have fun then :wink: Just think about that waer is a solvent so the harder it is the worse it will work with tea. Then why you say that soft water is necessory distilled? you can get soft water with normal amount of minerals in it. Chemical elements which make your tea "round complexed" do not necessory affect waters softness... It is really a long story to tell.
Yee, just that your comments can lead people to believe that soft water is the best water to use for tea. Neither too soft nor too hard of water is good for tea IMHO. Im not a chemist but I am a homebrewer and although most of water hardness has to do with breaking the amino acid chains in order to make fermatables, water hardness aslo affect the taste of hops. Without sufficient water hardness, hops will be flat and not crisp in the final product. It is essential for the calcium carbonate, or salts to be in the brewing beer to bring out the complexties of the hop profiles. Not to mention that distilled water is amost insipid without the minerals.
Well, i wasnt right saying it that way. I didnt mean using destilled water though. I also dont think they sell distilled water in supermarkets. What i ment is that if he buys the softest water they have it should be the... OK lets forget about it :lol:
What i must have said is that the best thing in this case will be trying different kinds of water and finding what they like the best. Cause wi all think the water is the problem, do we?

May 28th, '09, 23:15

Re: All my pu erh is starting to taste bad

by nancho » May 28th, '09, 23:15

rosenkraftlos wrote:I haven't drunk any of my pu erh for a while, but today I drank one that I have never tried before and it tasted horrible. I assumed it was just this particular tea, so I made another cup of a tea I have drunk before and really liked, but it had a similar taste.

It is really hard to describe this taste, but it is very unpleasant and extremely strong. I know I am not just imagining it. It isn't even subtle, it is very noticeable.

This taste wasn't there before.. so what could have happened? I have my pu erh in a cardboard box in my kitchen. Could it be that a new pu erh cake I purchased has this taste and has transferred it to the others? Could it be something in my house? Could it maybe even be something in my teapot or the pot I use to bowl the water? Or something else? And is there anyway to get the taste out?

Thanks

Hi,
Have you been cooking in your kitchen?

+ Post Reply