Bai Hao Yin Zhen

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Bai Hao Yin Zhen

Postby cinaussi » May 29th, '09, 04:26

Bai Hao Yin Zhen is considered to be the ultimate white tea. On only two days of the year the tea plant’s young unopened buds are perfect for harvesting, and only these are handpicked and sorted. Infinite tiny white hairs sparkle like tiny ice crystals cover the delicate leaves, giving the tea a unique silvery-white glitter. Its transparent colour and subtle, refreshing aroma have fascinated connoisseurs for generations.

Health benefits

This revitalising tea cools the body internally. Yin Zhen contains natural traces of fluoride and, like all white teas, significant amounts of flavonoids – antioxidants known to lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure. In addition to this, they are beneficial in curing infections and colds.

Preparation
Quantity 6–8 g per 500 ml
Water temperature 70°–75° C
1st infusion 4–5 minutes
2nd infusion 7–9 minutes (depending on the quality)

Please note that white tea leaves are lighter and more voluminous than other varieties, requiring a more generous quantity than other teas.

Origin

This rare tea grows on the Da Bai – Large White – tea trees and is produced in small quantities near the small town of Jianyang in the north of the Fujian Province. It is only here that the most precious and expensive white tea grows and ripens.
cinaussi

Re: Bai Hao Yin Zhen

Postby xuancheng » Jun 4th, '09, 21:46

Fu Dao wrote:
Preparation
Quantity 6–8 g per 500 ml
Water temperature 70°–75° C
1st infusion 4–5 minutes
2nd infusion 7–9 minutes (depending on the quality)

May I suggest you ask some advice from members of this forum on how to brew tea. I think you could use the help :wink:

Also, Jianyang is a county, not a 'small town.'

Dabai cultivar is grown all over northern Fujian province, and there is no small amount of the stuff.
xuancheng

Postby brad4419 » Jun 6th, '09, 12:32

Bai Hao Yin Zhen is a nice looking tea thats very delicate and light, too light for me. I tried adding way too much leaf and infusing for so long and still... light. I prefer a strong bai mu dan or shou mei on most days.
brad4419

Postby Rainy-Day » Jun 6th, '09, 17:43

Brad, try drinking it on a day when you don't eat any spicy or very salty food and don't drink any strong tea like a black, oolong, puerh. In my experience, if I do gong-fu type brewing, even after a few hours have passed, silver needles will taste too light. If I avoid strong flavours on that day, silver needles is my all time favorite tea. Not too light, not too strong, just right! By the way, to my taste, Pai mu tan isn't any stronger than Silver needles.
Rainy-Day

Postby brad4419 » Jun 7th, '09, 03:05

Rainy-Day wrote:Brad, try drinking it on a day when you don't eat any spicy or very salty food and don't drink any strong tea like a black, oolong, puerh. In my experience, if I do gong-fu type brewing, even after a few hours have passed, silver needles will taste too light. If I avoid strong flavours on that day, silver needles is my all time favorite tea. Not too light, not too strong, just right! By the way, to my taste, Pai mu tan isn't any stronger than Silver needles.

Thanks for the advice I will have to try that next time. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for silver needles that day or I ate something that ruined it.
brad4419

Postby Leo Tang » Jul 2nd, '09, 03:25

In fact, Jianyang's quantity of White tea is limited, there is another county which named Zhenghe have the largest quantity of white tea, almost 60% of total per year of china white tea quantity.

And Zhenghe is the original product place of white tea, this you can check from LuYU's <The Tea>, and the white tea has certification for original product place.
Leo Tang

Postby Oni » Jul 2nd, '09, 04:19

I think bai hao yin zhen needs a monster amount of leaf, at least with all the teas that contain unopened buds I use a bit more leaf than recomended, and 75 C for the first infusion, and I form the root first and after 2 minutes I pour up with water and wait for 3-5 minutes.
Oni

the quantity of product

Postby Leo Tang » Jul 2nd, '09, 04:34

Actualy, 4.5kg wet tea can normaly make 1kg white tea, if need some special taste the weight should be 5:1.
Leo Tang

Postby Oni » Jul 2nd, '09, 06:05

Did you know that an unopened bud contains around 4 leaves, if you cut it in half it has 4 layers, those leaves would open into leaves, at least I read that the Jun Shan Yin Zhen yollow tea original agrotype has this caracteristic.
Oni

Postby Leo Tang » Jul 3rd, '09, 12:07

Sorry I have not ideal about the Jun Shan Yin Zhen, in my home town, the Bai Hao Yin Zhen is made from bud without any leaves, and White Poney is made from one bud with one leaves.

Different places with different technique, and in my opinion, the method which used in my hometown is the best, it has a long history you can backward to 1115 A.D.
Leo Tang

Postby TIM » Jul 3rd, '09, 13:23

Leo Tang wrote:Sorry I have not ideal about the Jun Shan Yin Zhen, in my home town, the Bai Hao Yin Zhen is made from bud without any leaves, and White Poney is made from one bud with one leaves.

Different places with different technique, and in my opinion, the method which used in my hometown is the best, it has a long history you can backward to 1115 A.D.

hi Leo, a warm welcome. Since you are from Fujian where White Peony is from. Do you know anything about aging WP? 5yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs? There is a company in Fujian http://www.pinpinxiang.cn/mall/list.asp?id=551

I am a bit new to this. Hope you can help. Thanks. T
TIM
Vendor Member

Re: Bai Hao Yin Zhen

Postby eoolongcom » Aug 22nd, '09, 03:37

Here is the photo of Bai Hao Yin Zhen(Silver needle) and Bao Mu Dan(White Peony). I think tea tree age from 5 10 15 no much differeces.Only difference when they have hundred and thousand years.

eoolongcom

Instant Messenger

Permissions