Yet another yixing question - in reference to oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 2nd, '06, 15:46

Yet another yixing question - in reference to oolong

by keelyn » Jul 2nd, '06, 15:46

Bought a small (2 cups) yixing pot which I think I want to use with oolong tea. My question is...can I brew different types of oolong in the pot, such as jade, amber, and darker oolongs? Are some (like the wuyi) too smokey to brew in the same pot as the lighter ones? I wouldn't put jasmine teas in the pot because I don't care much for them and I'm pretty sure doing so would make ALL my tea jasmine, but are there any other oolong incompatibilities?

I also understand that the best way to go about it is to use a different pot for each, but I consider buying just the one yixing to be splurging!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Jul 3rd, '06, 10:39

by PlantFan » Jul 3rd, '06, 10:39

I know what you mean about splurging on the yixing teapots. I use mine for oolongs and I've brewed 2 different types in it. I don't notice an imact on the flavor of either. However, I don't think I'd brew a smokey or heavily scented tea in it, unless that's all you're going to use it for.

Jul 3rd, '06, 11:12

by keelyn » Jul 3rd, '06, 11:12

Thanks PlantFan, which oolongs did you use in your yixing?

Jul 4th, '06, 12:24

by Phyll » Jul 4th, '06, 12:24

As far as yixing goes...

The anal way is to use one yixing pot for each type or each tea producing area, and each type meaning even for each subtype of wuyi as well as roasting level, etc. (means a lot of yixing!)

IMHO, to get the most out of yixing pots but cost-efficient as well is to at least have a separate yixing for light oolong, medium oolong and dark oolong, 3 total. If later you found out you drink, let's say, dark oolong the most, then maybe you want to get more yixings for dark tie guan yin, da hong pao, rou gui, dark taiwanese oolong, etc...of course it's all optional.

I think combining one yixing for ALL oolong type will mix up too many tea tastes together. It's not to my liking personally. I have about 5 pots for different oolong types now, and I am looking for at least 3 more good ones for several types of dark wuyi oolong.

My two cents.

Jul 13th, '06, 20:46

Yunnan Sourcing and Yixing

by keelyn » Jul 13th, '06, 20:46

I think combining one yixing for ALL oolong type will mix up too many tea tastes together
Phyll, you are indeed the bringer of bad news. But I suppose you are right and I am doomed to buy more yixing. I found some cheap ones from Yunnan Sourcing, and if he quotes me a good shipping price I may spend some more $$ on expensive imported tea equipment.

Has anyone had any experience buying yixing from Yunnan Sourcing? Anyone with expert opinions on his lower-end pots? I'm considering some of the 100 mL's.

Thanks again,
Keelyn

Jul 17th, '06, 02:03

by Marlene » Jul 17th, '06, 02:03

I've purchaced from them. I liked them a lot. I got my pot a lot quicker than I expected, and my dealings with them were pleasant. :)
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Jul 21st, '06, 08:43

YunnanSourcingLLC

by speakfreely » Jul 21st, '06, 08:43

I just placed an order with YunnanSourcing for some Premium Tie Kaun Yin. After reading John Blofeld's "The Chinese Art of Tea", I am interested in trying this tea, as it was the author's favorite. I'm curious whether drinking some of the finer teas will spoil me to the pleasures of Indian-style Chai with milk and sugar, or whether I'll retain my broad appreciation.....I've enjoyed tea (standard, low-grade) forever, but just ust now starting to really explore the possibiliteas...

Anyway, YunnanSourcing had lots of quality-looking stuff at reasonable prices, and an excellent feedback record. I had to restrain myself from buying a whole bunch of pu-erh cakes and yixing teapots...

+ Post Reply