Hi - I'm Amanda

If we've got something important to say, you'll hear it here first.

Jul 18th, '06, 09:41

Hi - I'm Amanda

by Amanda » Jul 18th, '06, 09:41

Hello All,

Just a quick note to tell you that Richard is no longer with Adagio, and that I have taken his place. I've been here for about a week and am quickly finding out that I have a lot to learn...

Anyhoo, I'll be hanging around for a while, so I thought I'd say hi.

Chat with you soon...
-Amanda

Jul 18th, '06, 10:21

by cess » Jul 18th, '06, 10:21

Hi Amanda - Welcome! And no worries - we all have a lot to learn, that's why we ask and share here. ( If all else fails ask Ilya ) :)

'cess

Jul 18th, '06, 12:13

by Carnelian » Jul 18th, '06, 12:13

Welcome!
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jul 18th, '06, 12:15

by klemptor » Jul 18th, '06, 12:15

Welcome! So, after a week at Adagio, which of their teas is your favorite?
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Jul 18th, '06, 12:32

favorites so far

by Amanda » Jul 18th, '06, 12:32

Thanks for the greetings!

To answer what my favorites are so far, they are genmai cha (Ilya's recommendation - hate to admit), white blueberry & jasmine #12. I have a sweet tooth, so I do like a fruity, flowery cup. I still fear the backlash of bringing milk and sugar to work for the black teas, but I've been told I won't be teased - much.

-Amanda

Ps. any favorites to recommend to the newbie?
-Amanda

Jul 18th, '06, 13:28

by klemptor » Jul 18th, '06, 13:28

Yunnan Gold is the bomb, as is the black vanilla. Also, pouchong, kukicha, and silver needle are great oolong, green, and white teas (respectively). I don't really do herbals or rooibos so I have no recommendations for those.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Jul 18th, '06, 13:54

by Carnelian » Jul 18th, '06, 13:54

My cabinet is currently stocked with mandarin green, casablanca twist, white peony, blood orange, and peach rooibos.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jul 18th, '06, 15:20

by rabbit » Jul 18th, '06, 15:20

So what happend to Richard? He get fired, quit, whats the deal? I was wondering where he went.

Jul 18th, '06, 17:30

Re: favorites so far

by jogrebe » Jul 18th, '06, 17:30

Amanda wrote:I have a sweet tooth, so I do like a fruity, flowery cup. I still fear the backlash of bringing milk and sugar to work for the black teas, but I've been told I won't be teased - much.

-Amanda

Ps. any favorites to recommend to the newbie?
Hi Amanda,

For black teas I'd recommend giving Golden Monkey a try as it has a nice smooth flavor which is an "easier" black tea to drink without sugar. If you like sweet fruity teas I'd also recommend Lychee black (something that adagio does not carry - see if you can change that) as it has a nice sweet fruity taste to it. For green and white teas I'd recommend having someone with experience show you how to brew them as they are easy to mess up and end up a bitter mess up.

And finally and probably most importantly don't be intimidated by the anti-sugar lobby. While I realize that for formal tea tasting when you are comparing different teas to each other you should be tasting them without anything added, beyond that tea should be about drinking it how you like it. I've been drinking tea for close to 8 years and I've only recently started making a gradual move towards losing the sugar in it (still not there yet in respect to all black teas that I drink), and even with higher quality tea like adagio has its not easy at first and takes some getting used to. Yet at the same time while I want to reach the sugarless tea point for myself I realize that drinking tea without sugar is not for everyone and that there are a lot worse things than tea with sugar that they could be drinking like soda and toilet water.

John Grebe
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jul 18th, '06, 17:51

by sippy cup » Jul 18th, '06, 17:51

klemptor wrote:Yunnan Gold is the bomb, as is the black vanilla. Also, pouchong, kukicha, and silver needle are great oolong, green, and white teas (respectively). I don't really do herbals or rooibos so I have no recommendations for those.
wow, your taste in teas matches mine pretty exactly. i'm missing my yunnan gold...

Jul 18th, '06, 18:01

by TeaFanatic » Jul 18th, '06, 18:01

Welcome Amanda!
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Jul 18th, '06, 20:39

by peachaddict » Jul 18th, '06, 20:39

Welcome to the board, Amanda! Hope you have fun here :D . If you need advice, just ask someone. Everyone here seems pretty nice.

I haven't yet had the chance to order anything from Adagio, really, but at the moment (this changes almost constantly) the teas I seem to be leaning on are white peony (bai mu dan) and Celestial Seasoning's peach white tea.
"Oh, those are my subconscious thoughts. I shouldn't listen too hard if I were you. I'm not all that proud of some of them." - Doctor Who

Jul 21st, '06, 17:00

by jzero » Jul 21st, '06, 17:00

Welcome Amanda.

I will refrain from doing all the creepy things that scared away Richard and Chris.
They Call Me Jzero

Jul 24th, '06, 13:13

by teamuse » Jul 24th, '06, 13:13

welcome amanda!

sorry about being late to the welcome wagon. this is my first trip back to the boards since the baby's arrived.

try the raspberry patch with a small amount of sugar...heavenly!
"Life is too short to drink bad tea!"

Jul 25th, '06, 01:18

by teaspoon » Jul 25th, '06, 01:18

*waves* Hi Amanda!

Wow, I need to keep up. Being busy is not good for my teachat addiction. Anyway, I highly recommend the kukicha baton. Yummy. But then, I'm a kukicha fan. :D Also, I second the vanilla black recommendation!

Glad to meet you!

~teaspoon
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

+ Post Reply