May 30th, '09, 22:30
Scrolling: scrolling

Stainless Steel Travel Bottles & Infusers

by Victoria » May 30th, '09, 22:30

Stainless Steel Bottles:
I have been on a Stainless Steel bottle buying kick, trying to move away from plastics. When I do something I tend to do it in a big way, or as some may say over do it in a big way. In addition to a couple of Kleen Kanteens I already own, I just bought a couple new Sigg bottles, as well as a neoprene holder to help insulate when carrying hot or cold tea. Admittedly the bottles above are more for water while working out or daily travels, but the addition of the neoprene holder makes them versatile for taking along hot or cold tea also.

Insulated Stainless Steel Bottles:
I just recently bought TWO. One is from FlyLady.net, that I saw in action when dotK came to visit me. http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_swb.asp

This is a 16 oz double insulated bottle that dotK takes everywhere and I really felt I had to have one after her visit. It easily accommodates large ice cubes and has an easy to drink from top. I have used it a couple times already and this will for sure be my go to bottle for taking teas along this summer. My current one is glass and although I do love seeing the color of the tea, it pretty much scares me to travel with it. In fact to the point of putting rubber bands on as grips, and still thinking someday the worst may happen.

Insulated Stainless Steel BREWING Bottles:
I have not really seen the advantage or need of brewing on the go. But I know many ask or seek out travel containers to brew and take. For me, I'd rather brew at home and take along. But feeling like I might be missing something, or that I may need to brew while traveling I bought an insulated brewing/travel bottle by
http://pure-hydration.com/

I have not tried it out yet, but the brewing basket looks small for the bottle size and will likely make a mess. I guess you hold it upside down as you brew? Which means leaves and pieces will have to be washed or wiped out of the ATTACHED cap. This bottle does have a large mouth for ice and I also like the ice cube filter screen that keeps ice from blocking the water flow as you drink. Overall it's a nice insulated bottle and comes in 3 sizes.

And now - now that I bought all those, NM Tea Company introduces a very nice looking Tea Tumbler with Infuser:
http://www.nmteaco.com/Tea-Tumbler-with ... p_401.html

This looks to be a very versatile size and may just be what many of you are looking for in something that is insulated for travel. Even w/o the infuser this is a nice size travel container. If I had not just bought out all the bottles on eBay :wink: I would definitely be adding this to my collection.

*Edited - 05/30/09 11:12 PM PST* I inadvertently was calling these bottles aluminum, when they are actually stainless steel. Good catch Ebtoulson! MarshalN - I apologize for the error. It should be noted all the above which were referred to as aluminum have been corrected by this edit to read Stainless Steel. The Sigg bottles however are aluminum with a patented inner liner. - V.
Last edited by Victoria on May 31st, '09, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, '09, 23:28

by MarshalN » May 30th, '09, 23:28

I'm personally fairly uncomfortable using anything aluminium made for tea. AL leeches a lot more than other metals. While it should be ok if you don't stick anything else metal in there, I would still prefer something else. Whether or not AL is better than or worse than plastic is hard to say, but I'm not at all sure if AL is a step up.

May 30th, '09, 23:35

by woozl » May 30th, '09, 23:35

Personally I'm likin' this http://www.summittea.com/catalog/produc ... &s=teaware
I've had this style in plastic, and was looking for glass.
And it fits my insulated sleeve from the old one!
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

May 30th, '09, 23:43

by Victoria » May 30th, '09, 23:43

I certainly do share your concerns as well. And I have given that some thought.
Generally speaking, I feel more comfortable drinking water that has been sitting in a bottle made from a natural element than of plastic. I am hoping the pieces here are very well made of the highest grade aluminum and special care had been taken in that regard. My main focus is geared more towards getting away from plastic water bottles. With the aspect of carrying tea I don't do that a lot, but I may this summer with iced. If I sense any change of flavor I'll be reporting back and discontinuing to be sure.

May 30th, '09, 23:44

by Victoria » May 30th, '09, 23:44

woozl wrote:Personally I'm likin' this http://www.summittea.com/catalog/produc ... &s=teaware
I've had this style in plastic, and was looking for glass.
And it fits my insulated sleeve from the old one!
I have the glass and I love it, it just scares me to think I may drop it.

May 31st, '09, 01:11

by Ebtoulson » May 31st, '09, 01:11

the last bottle she lists is actually made of steel.
I personally just use a standard metal tumbler that has a plastic inside and fill it with already brewed tea (more or less like most coffee drinkers do).
I guess you hold it upside down as you brew?
Makes sense, I've always wondered about portable brewing vessels (I was worried about over-steeping).
Generally speaking, I feel more comfortable drinking water that has been sitting in a bottle made from a natural element than of plastic.
You really don't need to worry as long as its food grade plastic, which they should say on their website or on the bottle/packaging. For water, I personally use nalgene bottles (got plenty from hiking)

May 31st, '09, 09:49

by spot52 » May 31st, '09, 09:49

I like this one:
http://www.nmteaco.com/Tea-Tumbler-with ... p_401.html
They had a really sweet chocolate brown one at a tea store here.

But for non-insulated, I love...
http://www.mysigg.com

Maybe its the outdoors man in me or the Swiss army soldier in me

May 31st, '09, 20:58

by Herb_Master » May 31st, '09, 20:58

I don't know why I did not spot this earlier, :shock: :roll:

Stainless Steel with a Yixing Clay Interior :P From Dragon Tea House

Intriguing!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0388784276

Very Interesting :roll:

May 31st, '09, 21:01

by hooksie » May 31st, '09, 21:01

Interesting find Herb... I wonder how susceptible the interior is to breaking from impact... After all, part of the advantage to a stainless steel flask is durability.
We were fated to pretend.

May 31st, '09, 21:10

by Victoria » May 31st, '09, 21:10

Wow, very interesting! Love the graphics.

May 31st, '09, 21:36

by woozl » May 31st, '09, 21:36

Hey that's cool.
Is there a strainer/filter ???
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

May 31st, '09, 22:08

by iannon » May 31st, '09, 22:08

ive been contemplating one similar at yunan colorful as well at 9.90 + 7 bucks shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 603wt_1165

Jun 2nd, '09, 19:47

by TwinkleTea » Jun 2nd, '09, 19:47

WOW, I like that one!

Jun 2nd, '09, 20:01

by Herb_Master » Jun 2nd, '09, 20:01

iannon wrote:ive been contemplating one similar at yunan colorful as well at 9.90 + 7 bucks shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 603wt_1165
AS ever Yunnan Colorful's use of English is superb. As they proudly announce that it has a 'Rusty Steel Casing' and
Not becoming smell, and maintain the original tea-and arbitrary control of tea;

Jun 2nd, '09, 20:30

by JP » Jun 2nd, '09, 20:30

Herb_Master wrote: AS ever Yunnan Colorful's use of English is superb.
You're not kidding! I'm still trying to figure out these directions:

-----
Want a cup of good tea bubble has two basic elements: water temperature and tea soaking time.
As long as the water temperature to boil the water completely.
Tea soaking time:

The first tea to abandon, as washing tea, do not benefit long time! 5-10 seconds!
The second effect for drinking, the second of the tea for 10-20 seconds soaking time!
The third time soaking second slightly longer as 30-40 seconds, and so on! The concentration of the tea water desalination, soaking time and the longer it can be. See the following demonstrations:
1. Pu'er tea leaves will filter into Cup, about five grams (covered with Beidi, slightly higher).
2. Zhukai it will filter into the cup boiling water, covered at the end of tea.
3. For a while, with filter cups, disposable to the first tea.
4. Again into boiling water, covered at the end of tea, with a Beigai, standing about 20 seconds.
5. Beigai open inverted, filter out cups, drops slightly to tea, as Beigai within.
6. Well, Xiangnong alcohol and a cup of the Pu'er tea on the foam well.
7. Pu'er tea than tea-resistant foam, generally for 10 to 20 or more times, until the Tang Wei is very short so far. Each time the water is brewing at the appropriate time before disposal, and as far as possible Lvgan tea, with the next drink of water when brewing, not long immersion, so as not to affect the color of tea, aroma and flavor. Buhe the time being, they should Lvgan tea, open Hugai.
刀獾
片和

+ Post Reply