Suggest some oolongs please...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 14th, '06, 23:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 14th, '06, 23:57

MarshalN wrote:I have to say from what I've seen of Seven Cups, they're overcharging a lot
Ok, this is not an oolong, but...

http://www.sevencups.com/tea-shop/product...

Heheh, and that is for 50 grams...but it does have the drool factor included at that price.

Ok, sorry, you can go back to oolongs again.

Jun 18th, '06, 02:51

by waltcamp45 » Jun 18th, '06, 02:51

I second those who've recommended Jasmine #12. I tried it today for the first time and was absolutely floored (as was my wife). Of course, we've long liked jasmine green tea, but this was phenomenal.

We'll definitely be getting more (we started out with just a sampler).

Walt

Jun 19th, '06, 23:02

by dejj » Jun 19th, '06, 23:02

Ito-en's Golden Oolong is awesome. It's a blend of two oolongs from Fujian Province. I think TGY is one of them.

Jul 21st, '06, 09:17

Teas and weight loss

by speakfreely » Jul 21st, '06, 09:17

I am just now starting to sample some of the finer teas - one nice thing about that is that I am going from putting halfnhalf and sugar into a cup of whatever black tea is to be found in the tea bags of the coffee room at work to brewing a good tasting loose tea by itself with multiple infusions. I drink tea intermittantly all day long - so this will eliminate several spoonfuls of sugar, and the fat from the halfnhalf from my daily intake. That's bound to have a long-term impact on weight loss....

Jul 23rd, '06, 17:59

Re: Suggest some oolongs please...

by keelyn » Jul 23rd, '06, 17:59

rabbit wrote:The only two I've tried were wuyi and silk oolong, I love the wuyi, but hated the silk. Could anyone suggest types of oolong they think I might like?
I think the best way to figure out what you like is to try some samplers. The oolong samplers from Upton and Enjoying Tea both look really good as far as giving you a wide range of oolongs to try. I have the Enjoying Tea sampler and have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.

Upton Tea Oolong Sampler

Enjoying Tea Oolong Sampler

I'm not familiar with the silk oolong. What is that?

Jul 26th, '06, 05:24

by Proinsias » Jul 26th, '06, 05:24

think it depends on the person. I've lost about five pounds in two to three weeks by drinking tea. I think it's becouse instead of a snack I now have a cup of tea.
Surely if you had water instead of snacks you would lose weight. I think it may be down to eating less than drinking more. I hate to say it but you would probably gain the same or greater effect from smoking* instead of drinking tea as it supresses the appetite and speeds up metabolism - tobacco that is I'm not sure about smoking tea. On the plus side you may develop a life long tea addiction which costs me more than smoking but certainly brings me more pleasure (unkess I've a few too many alcoholic drinks).

*I am not advising you to start smoking.

Jul 27th, '06, 22:08

Oolong Color continuum

by hop_goblin » Jul 27th, '06, 22:08

I think it would be helpful if some of you more experienced tea drinkers would list the most common oolongs from light to dark. I know that I would appreciate it. So what do you say guys? Help some of us Novices out :D

Aug 7th, '06, 22:52

by Jasmine Green » Aug 7th, '06, 22:52

I'm drinking a Formosa Oolong right now that is oh so good!

Sep 2nd, '06, 11:46

by Reita-san » Sep 2nd, '06, 11:46

My mom's friend also drank Oolong tea and she said she lost weight over the three months. But...

Im still kind of wary.

Okuma's wu long said it suppose to help lose weight...and im wondering if anybody knows if they added something special to the tea that does this, or is just plain old oolong tea but they put their name on it.
Can anybody answer this? ((*is really curious*))
>_>

Sep 3rd, '06, 03:03

by allen12 » Sep 3rd, '06, 03:03

Hi Reita,

I believe alot have been discussed about whether Wulong Tea or Wu Long Tea is the same as oolong tea. This is a fact that all the above refers to the same tea. As stated in other postings, oolong or Wulong tea is just a tea category with about 50% fermentation level compared to Green Tea (0% fermentation or mininal level). when we talk about different wulong/oolong tea, we are referring to the various grades of wulong/oolong tea due to different processing method and plantation origin. So i believe if anyone call their wulong tea as ??? wu long, it should be referring to their brand name.

As for weight loss....(Oh No..Wulong Tea & Weight loss question again !!)...there is no definite answer to it. some people claimed to have lost XX amount while others said there are no effects. Its up to you whom to believe although I would rather you try to enjoy wulong/oolong tea as the tea itself instead of its potential weight loss properties. I drink wulong tea daily and i really enjoy it.

Allen12
http://all-about-wu-long-tea.blogspot.com/

Sep 3rd, '06, 08:57

by Reita-san » Sep 3rd, '06, 08:57

Ah~ thank you! I did try oolong tea once because my mom bought a pack and i absolutely loved it @_@~. I guess tea is healthy so even if it doesnt have weight loss effects, i will include it in my diet anyway XD.

thanks for the reply ^^ it helped me greatly ^_______^ :D

Sep 6th, '06, 20:05

by heatwaves » Sep 6th, '06, 20:05

Oolong is my favorite type of tea. I've tried a ton of them and only a few haven't made the cut.

Among my favorites...

-- Jasmine #12 - Adagio - (this tea drinks more like a green tea than an oolong, but it is still classified as such)
-- Orchid Oolong - The Art of Tea - Simply spectacular. Very aromatic as well as tasty.
-- Zhongshan Baiye Oolong - SpecialTeas - I believe this translates to Rising Phoenix or something along those lines
-- Hairy Crab Oolong - SpecialTeas - The strongest flavor of the bunch, more earthy and biscuity than vegetal.
-- Milk Oolong - received from a wholesaler - very good, but very pricey when you can get it.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and about the "slimming" factor of tea. I lost about 15 pounds when I started drinking tea, but I mainly attribute this to the absence of sugary sodas instead of the addition of tea.

Oct 25th, '06, 15:58

my current favorite is

by tenuki » Oct 25th, '06, 15:58

Baozhong 2nd prize from Floating Leaves Tea in Seattle. If your are ever in Seattle you need to check them out, they are in the Ballard area. Nice shop and great owners. They specialize in Oolongs!

-t

Oct 26th, '06, 10:25

by Amanda » Oct 26th, '06, 10:25

Favorite oolongs-

Jasmine Dragon Pearl
Ti Kuan Yin
Adagio's Oolong 18 (Jade oolong)

It's been a while since this conversation started - has anyone discovered they enjoy something different now than what they did at the beginning of the discussion?

-Amanda

Oct 27th, '06, 13:28

by Chip » Oct 27th, '06, 13:28

Since you asked Amanda...my favorite oolongs...wow, too hard.

Select wuyi oolongs such as da hong pao, jade TGY, numerous fragrant green Taiwan oolong, Zhongshan Baiye Oolong, dan cong, and on and on......I rarely meet a quality oolong I do not like.

+ Post Reply