Jun 8th, '09, 19:47

Tea bowls

by T-session » Jun 8th, '09, 19:47

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give me feedback on these tea bowls. Do these shapes look like Chawans or do they need more specific properties? I think the Yunomis are all ok... yes? And I made a container with the side lugs next to the tea pot, these are used for storing "tea?" Any certain size they should be?

I know I like green tea with a little sugar... any suggestions with what to start with. I know a where a oriental place/specilty store is. Also, I like cappachino type coffee... a little thicker and sweeter... any teas like that??

So, I've attached some pics of greenware (unfired clay) I've thrown, if you feel like addressing any of these questions, I would really appreciate it. Bill (not counting the handled ones... you don't use them right?)

Last edited by T-session on Jun 9th, '09, 17:44, edited 5 times in total.

Jun 9th, '09, 08:39

by Aphroditea » Jun 9th, '09, 08:39

somewhere a tag got dropped and your images are not posting. would love to see it - hard to imagine what mystery pieces might be lurking behind the links :)

Jun 9th, '09, 08:41

by Aphroditea » Jun 9th, '09, 08:41

Dresden wrote:Whoa...

It would appear your etsy has been raided! :shock:

Ah well... You snooze, you loose... :(
Mike - the etsy shop is back up and full of goodies again :D
I heard rumors of new stuff to be posted....??? Bill, are the rumors true? :)

Jun 9th, '09, 09:54

rumors

by T-session » Jun 9th, '09, 09:54

.... are the rumors true?..... hmmmm...., maybe :wink: .... I'll try again later this afternoon to post them again. sry 'bout that.

Jun 9th, '09, 18:02

posting

by T-session » Jun 9th, '09, 18:02

I finally got it !!!! Took five tries but finally...Thanks Chip! I PM'ed him earlier. I used my Flickr site to load on and get a URL. I have more I'll post another time.

Above are a few of the yunomis and chawans (and assorted other items) that I threw recently. Now I am getting ideas together for new glazes I have been testing.
Also I wanted to share the view I have of my kiln from one studio window in the other pic.
Feedback is welcome... as always. And questions!
Bill
I'm going to try this pic again, Herb_Master just gave me pointers. Thank you!
this has some test tiles/new glazes
Last edited by T-session on Jun 9th, '09, 18:37, edited 3 times in total.

Jun 9th, '09, 18:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Jun 9th, '09, 18:11

"" back to front on 2nd image

you can do a preview before submitting

Jun 9th, '09, 18:26

by brandon » Jun 9th, '09, 18:26

Hi Bill,
Two fairly teaware common shapes that I haven't seen you cover yet are the faircup (sharing pitcher) and the yuzamashi (similar in theory, cooling pitcher).

1. Faircup is fairly tall, I personally like one with thick walls. This preserves the heat of the tea between cups and is not bad for sampling the aroma. It holds 7-10 ounces.
My pitcher for Gong Fu tea. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/325 ... 2714d4.jpg

2. A Yuzamashi is also a pitcher, but its dimensions are much different based on its orthogonal goal of cooling water down. Japanese tea is best served around 170F, so a pitcher is used by many to cool boiling water. The top opening is significantly wider and this holds 7-12 ounces.

Here is a photo of my personal favorite.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28366671@N04/3080330299/

Jun 9th, '09, 19:06

Brandon's help

by T-session » Jun 9th, '09, 19:06

Hi Brandon,
Thank you, I had no idea... wow, this tea ceremony stuff is really cool. I'm admiring the tradition, respect, sophistication, tranquility involved... wow. I believe in the ying and yang of life ... and I can see a tea ceremony bringing back a balanced chi. Do participants usually like "matching" sets of their teaware or a collection of favorites? Like a common spiral or squared/altered corners...
Bill

Jun 9th, '09, 19:12

by brandon » Jun 9th, '09, 19:12

As you can see, my stuff doesn't match, but I think it pairs rather nicely.

I should be clear, neither of these pieces are used in "Tea Ceremony" in the sense of Japanese Chanoyu, the formal matcha tea ceremony.

The sharing pitcher is used in casual Chinese gong fu cha (some folks think a formal Chinese ceremony has little place for a pitcher).

The yuzamashi is used in casual brewing of Japanese teas like sencha and gyokuro.

Jun 9th, '09, 19:31

by woozl » Jun 9th, '09, 19:31

Rumor has it a glossary is coming soon :D
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Jun 12th, '09, 15:57

beautiful views of the kiln

by bonjiri » Jun 12th, '09, 15:57

t

beautiful work !

wow !

what clay body u using for wood fire ? homemade ?

wow

love it

for me i prefer my yunomi w/ thicker walls. i also prefer the foot wide and low too to keep it balanced so u don't end of w/ a lap full of hot tea.

i just got a request from my fiance in japan. the spring/early summer season, there is this new tea called 'shincha'. its bright green, and the good stuff is slightly sweet. well she suggested that i do the chadamari of the yunomi w/ white so u can see the beautiful contrast of green. i am learning all the time.

one key point a sensei of mines said. he said u can tell if the person knows how to make guinomi (nihonshu cups) if they drink nihonshu themselves. the nihonshu imbiber usually makes a slightly larger piece compared to a non-imbiber's thimbal sized ones. haha ! i still laugh when i think about this.

often times, i give demos, the first thing folks ask is for me to throw a matcha chawan. i'm still learning all the time. its really difficult to make functional matcha chawan. one of the most complex pieces. my quest, usually i need an open mind, relaxed mind when i touch the clay to make matcha chawan. they need to be tranquil and free. the form has to work, the weight and balance and lastly the shomen. the shomen is so important. it can either be intentional or unintentional. the less control u have over the shomen, if the piece comes out, wow. keshiki (accidental or 'intentional-accidents' ) like cracks in the right place/s could be amazing too. totally different perspective than western view of ceramicists.

cheers !

i'm so inspired by your work !

thanks for sharing !

aloha

cory

Jun 15th, '09, 01:27

more photos please

by bonjiri » Jun 15th, '09, 01:27

bill

please more photographs !

c

Jun 15th, '09, 11:37

more photos

by T-session » Jun 15th, '09, 11:37

Hi,
Sorry I have not posted many pictures lately. I've had several commissions that I've been working on in my studio. My etsy site was a quiet for a while but listing and renewing items put me on the front pages (and that has created sales - 4 just today :D - and alchemy requests too).

I am aiming for a firing at the end of ther month and I've been making some more complicated/different tea bowls, amongst other things, for that firing. The new tea bowls are definately, VERY different. I've been researching Chinese and Japanese tea ware for a while now. There was a great article in one of my Ceramics magazines by a mastercraftsman. These have "mountain ranges" / landscape imagery to them. Very cool and more abstract. I like making less complex-looking tea bowls with refined proportions and lines and I also like making more richly surfaced ones too. The variety appeals to a wider ranger of tea bowl user.

I will post a couple of pictures from my flicker site... my kiln and me in a messy studio... I was between cleanings!!!

Later, I will take some pics of my greenware teabowls to show you the mountains...
Cheers, Bill

Jun 15th, '09, 20:08

new tea bowls

by T-session » Jun 15th, '09, 20:08

Here are some examples of the new tea bowls and Shui Fan that I have been making lately.

I have been reading up on Takao Okazaki's carving process. I am embracing the Wabi Sabi of the tea bowl as I am creating it. Way fun... very loose style. Not for the timid... just kidding. I can't wait to glaze them as I have some great ideas for them.
These are Shui Fan which are "waste containers" that I have been making with Brandon. There is a removable strainer to catch spent tea leaves, etc. while the liquids drop down into the bowl. Cover till clean up. Neat...
Brandon has dibs on the one on the left...
Cheers, Bill

Jun 15th, '09, 22:36

by Aphroditea » Jun 15th, '09, 22:36

Bill!!! I love the new wabi sabi look and ADORE the full moon with mountains motif!! :shock: I already told Brandon this earlier when he showed me pics of his (soon to be)new acquistion...I LOVE it. The shape is so elegant and the way you made the strainer is brilliant! I am so glad you were able to make Brandon something that makes him so happy (he can be a tough cookie to please!). :wink: And I am really glad that all these experiments with shape and glaze are apparently being quite fun - gotta love when the work feels like play! :D

Kudos and keep it coming!

+ Post Reply