Need a tea term dictionary

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

Jun 9th, '09, 19:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Jun 9th, '09, 19:10

brandon wrote:

Great stuff and perfectly edited, thanks! I honestly didn't know what Bei Dou was, I had just assumed it was a unique but less famous cultivar.
There are some great stories about Bei Dou out there on the web, but I can't find the ones I am looking for now

TeaSpring have a precis of it
A little bit on the history of Beidou No. 1:
In the early 1950s, Mr. Yao Yue Ming started a Da Hong Pao research laboratory. Using a few stems from the original 800 years old Da Hong Pao tea bushes, he successfully created two new tea varieties. However, Mr. Yao's laboratory was later closed down and his research was destroyed during the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Yet, he continued his research in secrecy and through his dedication and determination; he finally perfected his creation. He named this tea, Beidou No. 1.
Other sites tell of quotes from Yao's diary and interviews with his widow.
He secretly took cuttings from the original DHP bushes and many other prized cultivars, many of his cuttings failed to produce good bushes, but he had several successes. I cannot find if Qu Shi and Qi Dan were his products or not.

Jun 9th, '09, 19:25

by Herb_Master » Jun 9th, '09, 19:25

:oops: :evil: :oops:

Aaargh!

I was asked to contribute to WikiCha 8 months ago, but declined because I could not verify my research, seeming that errors can be duplicated across dozens of websites and it is difficult to place trust in them if you then come across different websites with contradictory information.

My further search for Yao's work found a different explanation for #1

on the Hou De Blog

#1 and #2 were used to identify 2 seperate cuttings that Yao took from BeiDou peak.
According to early research, the real Da Hong Pao could be in one of the three locations: (1) Bei Dou Feng (Feng means “peak”), and two sample cuttings were collected here naming Bei Dou #1 and Bei Dou #2, (2) Hou Yian Feng, (3) Tien Xin Yen (at a different location).
What is the protocol,
should I edit it out, leave it to others, or start a discussion topic?

http://houdeblog.com/?p=111
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jun 9th, '09, 19:43

by brandon » Jun 9th, '09, 19:43

If you are confident in your findings, please fix away!
That is the whole point.

A full blown Bei Dou / section in a Da Hong Pao article from you would be great.

Jun 9th, '09, 20:27

by sneakers » Jun 9th, '09, 20:27

edkrueger wrote:There is no point In making another glossary list because others have them. As far as being useful on this front.. I have my doubts that one who can neither understand nor google Brandon's words can.
I build my own computers and repair them for clients. I meant his technical talk about programming: "Partial credit for a backend type script that parses the data from the full articles and compiles an index in wiki format to be posted manually" and "we want to put the glossary tags into the full wikicha articles as metadata."

I know what a wiki is, just didn't see why everything has to be so complex that no one feels motivated to do it. I will drop the subject.

+ Post Reply