Jul 7th, '06, 03:28

Newb ?s on tea buying sites and iced tea makers

by auroramu330 » Jul 7th, '06, 03:28

Hi, I'm new. *wave* Now that we've got that out of the way...

:wink:

So I've been drinking tea all my life, grew up on iced lipton (no sugar allowed), switched to loose @ 18 when I became a *bux barista (I never liked coffee). When I ventured from the nest I did not keep up with the always-have-a-pitcher-of-tea-in-fridge habit cause it's such a hassle with loose tea and I drink a pitcher a day easy when it's there. And I talk too much, did I mention that?

Anyhow, I just bought a hamilton beach iced tea maker. It seems kinda sacriligeous (er, sp?), but what can I say, I need to get over my coke addiction (the brown, fizzy, liquid sort) and I'm too lazy to brew a pitcher by hand every day (and yes it has to be iced, I live in FL). And it was cheaper than the bodum at *bux, so hey...

Now I need to seriously beef up my stock of tea. The only decent local place (Teavana) is an hour and a half away so I was looking online... has anyone ordered from www.khochateas.com ? They're based out of India and they have Sikkim, my current obsession, and they package their teas in the most beautiful hand-carved boxes. The tea seems cheap which makes me hesitate, but man do I want those boxes!! Lol, they'd make purty tea storage containers. 8)

Oh, and I was wondering if anyone else out there uses an iced tea maker like mine? Any tips? Did I waste $20? Seems OK thus far, though I can see I'm gonna have to use double the amount of tea they recommend. Mmmmm...

And, hey, would anyone out there like a half-full tin (exactly 1.7oz/50g) of Rishi 100% Organic Pu-erh Ginger? I'm not into tea that bites back (not that I'm biting my tea...). I found it while digging through my teas, hate to waste it, maybe I could trade or something even?

Just diving right in... lol.

:wink: Aurora

Jul 7th, '06, 04:15

by peachaddict » Jul 7th, '06, 04:15

Hi, Aurora! Glad you've found this corner :) . My mother has a friend who's addicted to coke (the brown carbonated kind), so I wish you best of luck getting off it. Sorry that I can't really help on the iced tea maker or the Pu-erh, but I wanted to say hi and welcome.

Peach

Jul 7th, '06, 15:36

by LavenderPekoe » Jul 7th, '06, 15:36

Hi, and welcome. There are many posts around here about both of those items (the Sunbeam and other places to by tea - including our hosts, Adagio). I don't think anyone has mentioned that particular tea site, though.
Teas for trade:

Jul 7th, '06, 23:17

by H.M. Murdock » Jul 7th, '06, 23:17

How to make iced tea: ditch the iced tea makers. Before you go to bed, put your tea in a beverage jar (super-cheap. Think 5 bucks at walmart here) with water, let it sit over night and voila. I leave mine on the cabinet. Others here can help you more on the technique, as I am very random with my tea.
-Jason
We listen to the tales and romanticize
How we follow the path of the hero.
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun,
How we'll rise to the height of our halo.

Aug 13th, '06, 00:10

by Nesseight » Aug 13th, '06, 00:10

I was going to suggest getting a glass pitcher and making sun tea... but the first result I found in Google (forgot how many hours it's 'sposeda be out there) was a warning against that..

http://www.colostate.edu/orgs/safefood/ ... n2s06.html

Aug 13th, '06, 06:34

by karia » Aug 13th, '06, 06:34

well if you are going to buy, i really like most adagio teas (expection are the flavored, which for me arent flavored enough and the roobois because i hate roobios, tastes like boiled tree bark, not that i have ever had boiled tree, but its what i would expected boiled tree bark to taste like).

i digress. so yes adagio as well as rishi teas. you can get rishi teas on their site or at whole foods store.

rishi's masala chai is AMAZING chilled. just sooo good.

+ Post Reply