Jun 18th, '09, 11:12

by Moss » Jun 18th, '09, 11:12

Respectfully, as this is not my topic, what volumes are people looking for in cups?
Matt Brown
Moss Beach Ceramics
www.mossbeachceramics.etsy.com
www.mossbeachceramics.com

Available at Teance tea room, Berkeley, California

Jun 18th, '09, 11:36

by coloradopu » Jun 18th, '09, 11:36

Moss Posted: Jun 18th '09 12:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respectfully, as this is not my topic, what volumes are people looking for in cups?
volumes ? volumes..........

well i guess that is an individual thing. it seems that people come in all shapes and sizes. i have tossed this question around for a while. i am a big guy .....ok real bug guy and it has taken me a while to get the outcome i want so its hard to tell with people. i have made the decision to post my work from know on with volume as part of the description so people can figure on how much tea the items will hold. but back to the question it also matters what style they use too. someone who drinks alone and green tea might just want a 200ml cup and pot or someone who drinks with a few Friends might want a smaller 45 ml cup and 150ml pot etc . tea ware is such an individual thing .
i do wish there was a standard that was followed by all but for myself i have a standard of volume i use that suits me as i bet most potters have what they think is the perfect size cup that they made.

you have a good question and i do not think i can answer it but for my self. my solution is to make a style in 3-4 different sizes and at different times and hope that there will be someone that is drawn to the pot for all its quality's including volume. i do remember reading some ware the other day a quote that the cups made by a tea drinker were always bigger than the one made by someone who didn't drink tea. or something like that. in fact i think it sounded better in the original.

i guess that is why there is so many different types of tea ware to go with so many types of people.

P.S. moss you are welcome to post whenever you want and what ever you want here . you are one of my many neighbors that i wish lived closer and could come over for a cup. if you do find some magic volume that fills the hart of all tea drinkers please let me know.

Jun 18th, '09, 14:04

by clareandromeda » Jun 18th, '09, 14:04

I like cups that hold a little over 8 oz.

Jun 18th, '09, 14:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 18th, '09, 14:39

I prefer 4-5 oz

Jun 18th, '09, 14:45

by hooksie » Jun 18th, '09, 14:45

Victoria wrote:I prefer 4-5 oz
+1
We were fated to pretend.

Jun 18th, '09, 15:12

by Geekgirl » Jun 18th, '09, 15:12

5-6 oz for me.

Jun 18th, '09, 15:23

by Chip » Jun 18th, '09, 15:23

3-4 ounces for most teas ... I am most comfortable with a 3 ounce cup ...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 18th, '09, 15:34

by coloradopu » Jun 18th, '09, 15:34

thanks for all the posts on volume you all have reinforced my opinion that everyone is different and prefers different amounts. i might go as fare to bet that the ones that like the same volume are of about the same size person. any who don't stop keep putting your volume and we will see were this leads.

i also wonder if the volume is not only related to the size person but the style of tea drinker they are too. as i some times get frustrated with the small cups during gungfu but would never change them unless alone.

Jun 18th, '09, 15:43

by kymidwife » Jun 18th, '09, 15:43

For the teas I drink most often, when it comes to drinking vessels, I like the big boys... like to empty the entire contents of my ~11 oz kyusu at once... some of my yunomi hold about 12 oz if full and they are my favorites. This is what I use for my Darjeelings, blacks and sencha. I have some smallish ones too, 3 or 4 oz... for teas that are more appropriate in smaller volume, like gyo or oolongs.

Diversity is a good thing.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 18th, '09, 15:45

by Ebtoulson » Jun 18th, '09, 15:45

Like you said it deals with whether I'm drinking by myself or with some friends but for me, it also includes the type of tea and brewing method.

-puerh - I've been using a 4oz cup for a while now but I drink it alone because none of my friends like puerh :( and I only brew it in my yixing pot.
-green- For the average green that I drink by myself I'd go with an 6-8oz cups (glass teapot or IngenuiTEA) . For better quality with or without friends I'd go with ~3 oz cups (gaiwan). Multiple steeps of course.
-black and herbals - 6-8oz cups all the time (glass teapot or IngenuiTEA)

Sry my drinking style is just complicated :P.

Jun 18th, '09, 15:47

by Moss » Jun 18th, '09, 15:47

So it seems that several sizes from3-10oz might be best.

I like the quote about tea drinkers making them larger than non teadrinkers.

I have a terrible admission...

I love ice-tea. No sugar or flavors or lemon, but plain black ice tea. I guess I am lucky not to be making these things in 24oz...

And Colorado, I'd love to share a cup too. If you come gold-mining out here in CA, I'm only a couple hours past that. Right on the beach save one house betwixt us and it.
Matt Brown
Moss Beach Ceramics
www.mossbeachceramics.etsy.com
www.mossbeachceramics.com

Available at Teance tea room, Berkeley, California

Jun 18th, '09, 15:56

by Victoria » Jun 18th, '09, 15:56

Moss wrote: I have a terrible admission...

I love ice-tea. No sugar or flavors or lemon, but plain black ice tea. I guess I am lucky not to be making these things in 24oz...
Me too, just the way I like it. I use a 16oz insulated Bodum for that.
:)

Jun 18th, '09, 16:07

by clareandromeda » Jun 18th, '09, 16:07

I like to empty my kyusu like Kymidwife thats why I like over 8 oz. I actually have been drinking my sencha out of my chawan because it's the only cup thats big enough...am I breaking a green tea rule (there are so many rules..)?

added later..
I'm not that big! Well I'm tall for a woman I'm 5'9...I just brew sencha in a kyusu and like it all at once..
Last edited by clareandromeda on Jun 18th, '09, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 18th, '09, 16:23

volume

by bonjiri » Jun 18th, '09, 16:23

m

this is a very cool topic

very interesting and poignant

wonderful

Jun 18th, '09, 16:33

by coloradopu » Jun 18th, '09, 16:33

i agree
bonjiri Posted: Jun 18th '09 5:23 pm Post subject: volume

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

m

this is a very cool topic

very interesting and poignant

wonderful
i am enjoying reading as i have just started the kiln firring. it will be done tomorrow.
thanks moss

+ Post Reply