Fred Parker Pottery

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Jun 24th, '09, 09:46

by chicagopotter » Jun 24th, '09, 09:46

Hi Fred -- welcome! I really like your agate ware. Do you use any of the unglazed pieces for drinking tea?

Jun 24th, '09, 12:41

by coloradopu » Jun 24th, '09, 12:41

welcome welcome welcome!!!

love your style of work!! can't wait to see more. my father is an architect in mobile and i can see the architectural influences in you work.
i too like the unglazed stuff and the ones with clear glaze too. do you glaze with clear on anything?

Jun 24th, '09, 12:43

welcome

by T-session » Jun 24th, '09, 12:43

Hi Fred,
Welcome to TeaChat . Love your work and looking forward to seeing more.
Bill (T-session)

Jun 24th, '09, 12:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jun 24th, '09, 12:43

Haha! You tea nuts will drink out of anything! Knitting bowls for matcha! ahhhhahahaha!!! :lol:

Jun 24th, '09, 15:55

by Moss » Jun 24th, '09, 15:55

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Haha! You tea nuts will drink out of anything! Knitting bowls for matcha! ahhhhahahaha!!! :lol:
And your point? :-P

A good bowl is a good bowl!
Matt Brown
Moss Beach Ceramics
www.mossbeachceramics.etsy.com
www.mossbeachceramics.com

Available at Teance tea room, Berkeley, California

Jun 24th, '09, 21:35

Thanks SO MUCH for the welcome...

by FredParkerPottery » Jun 24th, '09, 21:35

Many thanks to each of you for your warm welcome to TeaChat. I really appreciate it, and I beg your indulgence while I try and figure out how to post here. If I inadvertently violate a forum rule please let me know. I can take criticism... Geekgirl -- your photography is spectacular! Thanks for going to the trouble.

Coloradopu: I have often lamented the fact that even now I haven't figured out if being an architect is a blessing or a curse. It definitely affects practically everything we do... And yes, I do use clear a lot. Most of my porcelains have a gloss clear. When I want a white interior for a tea bowl I often coat it with white slip (liquid clay) first, then apply a clear. It's akin to a basecoat/clearcoat auto finish where the actual color is beneath the surface, a trick that gives an appearance of depth to the finish.

Hi Chicagopotter: I use unglazed tea bowls for tea and coffee mostly. They are also very good for gin/tonics and especially Irish whiskey on the rocks. I even tried one with a red wine. I have had no problems with absorption, and that's fired to ^6. I routinely put them in the dishwasher and never have noticed a detergent odor...

Trioxin: I debated whether showing it might be too painful for you, but then concluded enough time has passed...

Clareandromeda: That little indent is there for that very reason! On the other side there's another one for the forefinger...

hooksie: Well, that makes two of us on this planet so far. I am convinced anyone who sees unglazed pottery up close will eventually love it. Trouble is, most people have never seen it...

Jun 24th, '09, 22:00

by geeber1 » Jun 24th, '09, 22:00

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Haha! You tea nuts will drink out of anything! Knitting bowls for matcha! ahhhhahahaha!!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: There are some days that I would drink tea out of an old boot if I had to! :lol: :lol:

Jun 25th, '09, 03:23

by Trioxin » Jun 25th, '09, 03:23

woozl wrote:wifey has a knitting bowl, I use it for matcha when she is not looking 8)
I thought drinking matcha out of one of my rice bowls was bad...

Jun 25th, '09, 03:27

Re: Thanks SO MUCH for the welcome...

by Trioxin » Jun 25th, '09, 03:27

FredParkerPottery wrote:
Trioxin: I debated whether showing it might be too painful for you, but then concluded enough time has passed...
It was a fantastic tea bowl and a personal favorite of mine, so its nice to see pictures of it. I don't think I was this sentimental about my Grandmothers passing, how messed up is that?

For those that don't know, the top three photo's in the second collage was my beauty that was lost in a tragic washing accident.

Jun 25th, '09, 08:05

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '09, 08:05

She was a beauty, may she RIP.
:wink:

Jun 25th, '09, 08:10

by clareandromeda » Jun 25th, '09, 08:10

that is so sad :( , im sorry. For some reason this is what popped into my head; "let us all take a moment to pray for all the tea bowls lost in tragic washing accidents".

Jun 25th, '09, 08:28

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '09, 08:28

I meant his grandma, LOL!!
j/k

Jun 25th, '09, 08:37

by clareandromeda » Jun 25th, '09, 08:37

:lol:

Jul 1st, '09, 10:04

Hmmm...

by FredParkerPottery » Jul 1st, '09, 10:04

woozl wrote:wifey has a knitting bowl, I use it for matcha when she is not looking 8)
Well, you-- and Victoria, who has been privately demanding I leave the yarn guide off a few for this very purpose -- might be onto something here. I just finished a small batch of little knitting bowls designed for either small projects or travel. I call them "sock bowls." I made a few of them smaller than usual and didn't carve the guides. I've always heard there's a very fine line between genius and insanity. Seems the principle also applies to yarn bowls and tea bowls. They're drying now. We'll see.

Gotta admit I love it when others demand I do things I normally wouldn't do!...

Feb 27th, '10, 23:35

Re: Fred Parker Pottery

by Victoria » Feb 27th, '10, 23:35

I am LOVING my new bowl, even more beautiful in person! The attention to detail on this cup is just outstanding. It is truly beautiful! Thanks Fred!

+ Post Reply