Jul 3rd, '09, 09:28

Dao Zhang (painting)

by Wu De » Jul 3rd, '09, 09:28

A simple, leisurely master:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 3rd, '09, 09:31

Lifted (painting)

by Wu De » Jul 3rd, '09, 09:31

Similar to yesterday's 100yr-oolong-inspired piece, except this one followed a 2008 oolong (Though really nice and has just reached perfection :) ). I call it "Lifted" in honor of Lu Tong. I added one more bit of symbology to the tea sage mythology that will bring a smile to friends--it's on the ground next to him:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 4th, '09, 05:24

Humbled (painting)

by Wu De » Jul 4th, '09, 05:24

I'm working towards my big exhibit in Taipei which will happen probably next year (details of where/when at that time, as the venue must be secret for now). I will still list these for sale on my site until that time. The show will be called "Ancient Tea Sages", and hence the themes and mythology/symbology woven through all these recent paintings. I call this one, "Humbled". I imagine the hermit climbs those steps each morning from his hut to his perch, where he imbibes the "cheng shen dan" mentioned in the calligraphy and assumes a repose for most of the day:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 4th, '09, 18:54

by clareandromeda » Jul 4th, '09, 18:54

I always notice the perfect posture of your tea drinkers. I can imagine that they could balance heavy trays on their heads.. maybe the tea helps them do that, helps them carry the weight of the world better. I know it does for me!!

Jul 4th, '09, 22:57

by Wu De » Jul 4th, '09, 22:57

A very important point so rarely discussed, and you are sage to bring it up. Perhaps posture has more to do with fine tea than the water or pots even. In meditation, posture is everything: It affects the way our Qi moves, affects our breathing and blood flow, and amongst many other things, even our integrity. Dignity doesn't slouch. In some Zen sects, the meditation posture itself is enlightenment. Actually, we must practice in all postures, but the upright one is especially useful, as slouching is invariably associated with some form of inner turmoil. Try moving your tea to the floor, or at least sitting upright between the Earth and Sky as you pour your tea. imagine yourself rooted; imagine a string from your head to the sky, balancing you perfectly here. What is the difference?

Later, you may find that not only the straightness of your back, but also the angle of your arms affects the flow of Qi. As in Taichi, for example, the arms and/or elbows should never be parallel or higher than the shoulder. Try raising and lowering your elbow (like a bird's wing) and find the point at which the pinch occurs. Try using your kettle to pour two cups of water, one below and one above said pinch. Are they different?

Thank you for the insight.

Jul 5th, '09, 08:38

An Immortal (scroll)

by Wu De » Jul 5th, '09, 08:38

Hopefully, you are starting to pick up on the mythology I'm creating through my art, symbols and some of my writings as well; and more importantly, I hope it is bringing some joy. I am so grateful for the chance to share it herein.

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 5th, '09, 08:40

The Elixir's Springwell (scroll)

by Wu De » Jul 5th, '09, 08:40

So much of why tea can be the Elixir of Life is in the water. As Van the Man says, "I got it myself from the mountain stream...and it stoned me to my soul."

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 5th, '09, 08:43

by Wu De » Jul 5th, '09, 08:43

One of the gourds used to carry springwater out to the mountains when we go for our weekly tea outing. I haven't yet carved the words on this one, but I will:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 5th, '09, 09:05

Calligraphy (scroll)

by Wu De » Jul 5th, '09, 09:05

I was really tight during my last calligraphy class. My master and I sat for a few minutes and then he asked me to try something. We did it together, actually. In one breath we curled a wet brush around the paper in circular patterns. Then, in the second, we painted some calligraphy through the wet swirls, watching as the ink dissolved outward into them. The result was rather nice; and it worked. I loosened up for the rest of my lesson:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 7th, '09, 07:31

Mounting and Framing

by Wu De » Jul 7th, '09, 07:31

I've got some emails about mounting the scrolls, since I am leaving the pieces for sale on my site unmounted so that you can choose your own style free of charge when you purchase one. I thought I'd post some examples of framed/mounted pieces on their way to agents, shows and buyers so you can see that I use the highest quality components, and free of charge. Also, it helps to see the finished piece as it will look on the wall, especially without the wrinkles in the rice paper :). Of course, pieces in the "paintings" section of my site are better off bought and sent unframed as shipping will be too high, but scrolls are good like that.

Jul 7th, '09, 07:34

Framed paintings

by Wu De » Jul 7th, '09, 07:34

Here are some of the paintings you've seen as they look framed. Is there a big difference?

www.sagacitea.com

P.S. Check out my feet in the reflections :)

Jul 7th, '09, 07:38

Mounted Scrolls

by Wu De » Jul 7th, '09, 07:38

Here are the mounted scrolls. What do you think?

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 7th, '09, 07:39

by Wu De » Jul 7th, '09, 07:39

Unique bit of inspiration on the outside of every scroll:

I also added a page about this stuff to my site:
www.sagacitea.com

Jul 7th, '09, 16:42

by clareandromeda » Jul 7th, '09, 16:42

I got my scroll that I first saw in this thread yesterday and it is amazing! The purple created in the steam is just so fab!

I had a bit of a stressful day and it was the first thing I saw when I walked in. It really centered me for a moment. Thank you! PS when I went back and saw your foot in the reflection I laughed!

Jul 8th, '09, 08:42

by Wu De » Jul 8th, '09, 08:42

Really awesome to hear. I paint to channel such tea wisdom, and if I succeed the praise is due to the tea, not me. I hope to see a picture of your tea space with the scroll in it!

+ Post Reply