Tea Storage in tea house

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Tea Storage in tea house

Postby virago_ns » Jul 5th, '09, 15:13

I'm having a difficult time deciding the storage device I'm using for storing my teas in an upcoming tea house. My suppliers have tin and glass (mason jar style) that holds about 3 lbs of tea each.

Tin 1) Doesn't seal airtight (bad)
2) Doesn't allow light in (good)
3) Can't eyeball inventory (tell when your supply is low)

Jar 1) Seal airtight (good)
2) Allows light into the tea, the house has a large window (bad)
3) Easy inventory control (can see the quantity of tea in each jar)

I was looking at tea canisters that are have a viewing window and seal tight, but they are very pricy and my supplier doesn't carry them.
Any ideas?
virago_ns

Re: Tea Storage in tea house

Postby TierOne » Jul 22nd, '09, 21:21

Paint the jars on the outside, except for a thin top-to-bottom strip that allows you to see the level of the contents. Then store them with that strip to the back wall. Periodically turn them to check on product level, then turn them back to the wall.
TierOne

Postby virago_ns » Aug 10th, '09, 13:29

good idea :D thanks!
virago_ns

Postby Andee » Sep 9th, '09, 15:49

Hi, We use large round jars that seal with a round tin inside. We put a bit of tea between the jar and tin so customers can see what the tea looks like. The tin keeps the rest out of the light nad the jar seals the air out. They did not come together. We leave the lid off the inner tin. you still have to check on the inventory but hopefully you'll be so busy you'll be in the jars all the time! Have fun!
Andee

Postby virago_ns » Sep 12th, '09, 17:24

What size are your glass jars? Do they hold 2 lbs of tea?
virago_ns

Postby wyardley » Jan 15th, '10, 23:38

I suggest storing the actual tea that you sell in sealed, or vacuum sealed (for balled oolongs and maybe some green teas) bags, especially if your turnover isn't really high. Keep small quantities unsealed in some sort of jar or a bag with a clip on it (for sampling, brewing for customers, etc.) - so that any given time, you only have 50-100g of the tea unsealed. This is what most serious tea shops I know do, particularly with teas that get stale more quickly. Then put the sealed bags inside big metal cans or wooden boxes (whatever looks nice).

Have some small glass containers (maybe the size of a spice jar) around to allow people visiting the shop to see / smell the tea leaves, but don't actually brew (or sell) the tea from these containers.
wyardley

Instant Messenger

Permissions