Storing Raw Pu Erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 2nd, '06, 12:18

Storing Raw Pu Erh

by lebowitz » Sep 2nd, '06, 12:18

Is it ok to store raw pu erh in a hot attic, I live in Pennsylvania and my attic although it does have an exhaust fan, hits the uppper 90's in the summer. Is hot 90+ degree heat ok for raw pu erh? If I left it up there in the winter would it be ok also? Or should I keep it in my air conditioned house? (never over 80 degrees never lower than 65)

Sep 2nd, '06, 12:44

by studio271 » Sep 2nd, '06, 12:44

While heat plays an important role, so does humidity.

You might want to check levels of humidity in your attic; high is probably as bad as keeping it in the fridge, and low may not be conducive to aging for better taste.

*Shrugs* as to what level of humidity is good, though, cause that's been debated for years.

Sep 2nd, '06, 16:33

Attic storage

by lebowitz » Sep 2nd, '06, 16:33

We have pretty high humidity 80-100% in the summer, and then low in the winter.
I have seen Pu erh sold and listed as being stored in high humidity and then others sold listed as being stored in low humidity.

Sep 6th, '06, 20:16

by heatwaves » Sep 6th, '06, 20:16

From a purely biological standpoint, higher humidity levels and/or temperatures generally tend to speed decay. A complete absence of humidity, however, would dry it out and steal away from flavor. The closest comparison that I can think of, would be with cigars. Cigar storage tends to follow a 70/70 rule, or about 70 degrees with 70 humidity. IMHO, that would seem about correct for a Puerh as well.

Sep 6th, '06, 21:54

So therefore

by lebowitz » Sep 6th, '06, 21:54

Then Just store it in a cabinet in an air conditioned house.
I have a home humidifier on my furnace we set it at 40% in the winter.

Sep 7th, '06, 20:45

Re: So therefore

by bearsbearsbears » Sep 7th, '06, 20:45

lebowitz wrote:Then Just store it in a cabinet in an air conditioned house.
I have a home humidifier on my furnace we set it at 40% in the winter.
High humidity is fine. Higher temperatures...I dunno. People say Taiwan and Guangzhou/Hong Kong area ideal places to age tea, and it gets just as hot and humid there, so...*shrug* perhaps you're in good conditions.

Others also say that pu'er likes alternating humidity conditions: wet then dry then wet and so on, so the east coast seems like a pretty decent place to age it.

Just keep it away from smells...if you're attic is musty or smells gross, I'd avoid it, lest your tea taste like your attic over time...

+ Post Reply