Jul 13th, '09, 14:23

Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by fmoreira272 » Jul 13th, '09, 14:23

I just had my first teaware loss. A fine summer chawan, full of character. :cry:

I find myself for the first time in my life grieving for clay pieces. :oops:
Does anyone experience such heartbreaking feel when a piece accidentally slip from your hands and meet the hard floor fate?
What are the proper procedures for a broken chawan? Do i wrap in the cloth it came with and place in the signed box? Does a shoebox is acceptable in case the chawan didnt come with a box? Do I sprinkle matcha over it in the final goodbye to the trash can?
How long do I wait to buy a new one?
I cant help but wonder if all the tea i've been drinking is starting to affect me in unusual ways. :roll:

Jul 13th, '09, 14:27

by Maitre_Tea » Jul 13th, '09, 14:27

Even though I didn't break a Chawan, I've broken a really nice yixing teapot. I knocked it over and the handle broke off. I tried to fix it with epoxy, but it didn't work out, which only made me sadder. I put it into a small shoebox and stuck it in some hidden corner. Looking at it again would make me sad, and throwing it out would make me feel awful, since it would be like throwing away a priceless artifact.

Jul 13th, '09, 14:33
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 13th, '09, 14:33

We should have a Thread for loss Teaware and broken hearts? :cry:

Jul 13th, '09, 14:46

by woozl » Jul 13th, '09, 14:46

Like the island of misfit toys :)
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Jul 13th, '09, 15:03

by wyardley » Jul 13th, '09, 15:03

Jul 13th, '09, 15:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 13th, '09, 15:31

I broke my first Hagi piece as it slipped from my hands onto the floor at work.
I will never forget the exact sound it made. Sometimes when I am there at that sink, I remember the sound so vividly. It makes me be extra careful now.

Sorry for your loss.
:cry:

Jul 13th, '09, 16:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 13th, '09, 16:57

I broke my favorite chawan a couple of months ago. I still want to have it repaired. Heartbreaking? Yeah, I'll cop to that. Some tea items I like, but wouldn't be overly upset if they were broken or gone, other than the monetary loss it represents. But some teaware become like old friends, especially pieces with long history, or those that are handmade.

Jul 13th, '09, 20:05

by Rainy-Day » Jul 13th, '09, 20:05

I broke a very nice green small yixing pot with hyeroglyphs design (many small hieroglyphs all over the surface). At least it was cheap, around $30. I think I'd buy it again if I saw it.....

Jul 13th, '09, 20:12

by CDS » Jul 13th, '09, 20:12

TIM wrote:We should have a Thread for loss Teaware and broken hearts? :cry:
Great idea, Tim.
I have broken both of the tops for my Lin's ceramic kettles. I am learning not to use my good tea ware before my morning caffeine!

Jul 13th, '09, 21:18

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 13th, '09, 21:18

I shattered the lid on my favorite glass pot shortly after shattering the saucer from a nice glass gaiwan. The gaiwan, though still usable, gets way too hot to hold it easily the three finger method. I have vowed to never get any other glass tea ware. They weren't favorites, but they were well used so they were both sad occurrences.

Jul 13th, '09, 22:16

by tingjunkie » Jul 13th, '09, 22:16

Very sorry for your loss. :(

Last night I caught myself shaking the last drops of water out of my new and amazing yunomi after rinsing it, and literally said out loud, "What the hell am I doing?!?" Could have been a disaster. I guess I'm just not used to having a cup that is handmade and irreplaceable.

Jul 15th, '09, 10:47

by thirtysixbelow » Jul 15th, '09, 10:47

I recently dropped the lid to a glass teapot from Rishi that I was using for oolongs. I decided to upgrade to an actual gaiwan which you can see in the "my first gaiwan" thread. Two days ago I was using my new gaiwan and i'm not sure how it happened but one of the teacups slipped off the table. I managed to use some cat like reflexes out of no where and grab the cup right out of thin air. I stood still for about a minute in awe of how lucky I was to have caught it and how upset I would be if I broke that teacup within the first week of owning it. Other than that, nothing major for me yet. *knocks on desk*

Jul 15th, '09, 19:52
Scrolling: fixed

Teadrunk thread idea is splendid.

by Intuit » Jul 15th, '09, 19:52

We should have such a thread here at TC. In same cases, it's instructional - you get to see a wall cross-section of yixing-ware, for example. In others, you get ideas for what to do with beloved teaware that is no longer functional, but has sentimental value - make it into art for your tearoom or kitchen (see the teadrunk thread for a nice example).

If you wanted to be creative, the broken bits of ceramic or porcelain can be made into trivets or even jewelry (there are companies that specialize in this art, you can find them on the web).

Jul 15th, '09, 23:57

by Trioxin » Jul 15th, '09, 23:57

Sorry for your loss. I too have also lost a couple of pieces. An antique mikasa cup and a custom fred parker. Like i've said, its almost like having you're heart broken. Especially with the fred parker.

Jul 16th, '09, 02:44

by Sam. » Jul 16th, '09, 02:44

Just tonight I accidentally knocked the infuser cup I used for all my herbals and rooibos off my desk and onto my hardwood floor. Needless to say, it's a goner. It was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Curve-Asian-Style ... 573&sr=1-6

Needless to say, it's not a fancy kyusu or chawan, but I used it often for all of my rooibos and peppermint tisanes. I felt defeated as I watched it crack in two. :cry:

Edit: Just realized I sound like a broken record ("needless to say... needless to say..."). There should be a warning against posting at 3am.
Last edited by Sam. on Jul 16th, '09, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply